Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon vs Walmart approval odds? w/ data

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amazon vs Walmart approval odds? w/ data

Any feedback on amazon vs walmart store card approval? I want one, if not both as I would use both and want to hit the garden for 12mo so its either now or never. 

TU info as of 3/23 -

658 FICO 8

26% util $369/1401 - EQ/EX shows $2/1501 not sure if TU is updated yet or not                  

2 lates, 4.4yrs since negative, 10 inq, 2.1yr AAOA

My current cards/loans:

Cap1 Secured     13mo  $ 501  CL  

Cap1 Quicksilver  3mo   $ 600  CL 

Credit one             3mo   $ 400  CL 

NFCU  not reported!       $1300 CL

DiscoverIT not reported  $1800 CL

CU loan                 7mo   $550/$1500

CU LOC                4mo   $700/$750 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amazon vs Walmart approval odds? w/ data

@Anonymous wrote:

Any feedback on amazon vs walmart store card approval? I want one, if not both as I would use both and want to hit the garden for 12mo so its either now or never. 

TU info as of 3/23 -

658 FICO 8

26% util $369/1401 - EQ/EX shows $2/1501 not sure if TU is updated yet or not                  

2 lates, 4.4yrs since negative, 10 inq, 2.1yr AAOA

My current cards/loans:

Cap1 Secured     13mo  $ 501  CL  

Cap1 Quicksilver  3mo   $ 600  CL 

Credit one             3mo   $ 400  CL 

NFCU  not reported!       $1300 CL

DiscoverIT not reported  $1800 CL

CU loan                 7mo   $550/$1500

CU LOC                4mo   $700/$750 

Hi ohsnaps,

Just a few thoughts:

1) Get utilization down to 10% if possible (or lower) prior to applying.

2) Get FICO score up a bit closer to 670 for best chances of success (I've seen a few people on the board denied at 660, and you're in the 650's). It's certainly possible to be accepted, but ideally you would like to put your best foot forward. Smiley Happy

3) Wait until NFCU and Discover IT report and see what your scores are at that time. Also, ideally I'd give those cards 6 months of reporting time and history prior to applying for anything else.

4) Remember that all of your current cards except one are either brand new or are only a few months old. Gaining 6 more months of history on those cards will help to stack the odds in your favor.

4) Gain some additional distance from the 10 inquiries just for best chances of success. You've applied for a lot of cards very close together, with only a few months of history on your current cards.

Patience is sometimes needed.

Good luck! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Ohsnaps, what Humu said +100Smiley Happy

You are on your way, no hurry, youve got great cards and plenty to build for 6 months anyway. Credit One meet Mr Navy Fed And Senorita Discover, lol, ( or reverse hahaSmiley Happy ). Those are some great cards you bagged so wventually youll be able to kick credit one to the curb and in 6 months, no doubt youll score a Wally if you like and Amazon as well. Just keepusing your credit responsibly and add a little age to your credit and the taste will get betterSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply and suggestions;

To clarify, my current utilization is 1% - $2/$1501 total as of 2 days ago creditchecktotal update however TU was not updated yet.

If my TU has updated since 3/23, my utilization will be 1% and I assume an approx 30 point score increase (eq/ex jumped 28/41 points respectievly with the new utilization) which puts me 675-685 hopefully. My concern is if I wait for NFCU/disco to report my AAoA will be signifanctly lower and score may be reduced - hurting my approval odds.

I'm planning an auto loan via nfcu in 12months so it's either now or after the auto loan. TU is my lowest score, with most inquiries - 7 of which fall off in the next 6months.

Thanks for all the help thus far, I appreciate everyone and everything!

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my Amazon Store Card last Thanksgiving, after having had my Capital One secured card for 11 months with a CLI in June. While utilization on my Cap One card was rather high (getting it down as much as possible will be one of my projects for the spring/summer) and my scores were hovering around 650, I still managed to get approved immediately upon application. While the shopping cart trick, I'm informed, doesn't work with Synchrony cards, I applied when I had several items in my Amazon cart which might have helped in that particular instance.

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I decided not to wait - pulled the trigger on amazon store card instant approval for $1500 CL. I'm making a seperate post in the approval section after I get kiddos in bed.

Cheers.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats
Message 7 of 10
Seamslong
Valued Member

I was going to say for Walmart if you visit their website add things to the cart etc they tend to send out preapproval letters that's what I did and picked up the card with no credit inquiry that was last year

Remaining Card limit goals:
Capitol One 3,600/2,500/2,300 goal 10k each line or close after buy a home|Discover $9.5k goal 15k | Citibank $6.5k goal 10k | Southwest $8,200 goal 20k |PayPal goal $6.0k goal 10k|Wayfair $2.1k goal $5.0k

Possibly cancelling:
Amex Blue 2k | No credit line increase since inception 2017
Closed accounts
Legacy CC/Capitol One secured 08/2021
Amex 11/2022

Entered the garden on 9/01/2021
Message 8 of 10
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

I dont normally disagree with Humu but on this one I think she might be a little off

Synchrony bank is a score driven lender. Your  TU score put you solid into store card /  cli territory. Approvals for Walmart start at around 620ish. Amazon 635ish. Your AAoA  is ok ( coud be a little longer ) and 4.4 years since last late is ok for Synchrony.

I think your odds are pretty good.

YMMV

Good luck

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 9 of 10
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

+1 with Humu and AJC no need to rush into anything ,Synch wants to see some history built up first , I was denied 2 times for lack of history with scores the same as yours are now . Congrats on the all success thus far OP
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.