Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

American Express - Unpleasant Rollercoaster Experience

tag
riotz911
Valued Member

American Express - Unpleasant Rollercoaster Experience

Hey There,

Figured I'd come share my experience/frustration with the world here.  My welcome to the American Express family has been nothing short of a massive headache.

Personal - AMEX Everyday Card

* April 7 - Decided to apply. Instant approval $5k. *Yay happy dance*

We are pleased to let you know that your application for the Amex EveryDaySM Credit Card has been approved. We hope you’ll enjoy the benefits of Card Membership.

We are expediting your Card delivery, and you will receive it in 2 to 3 days.

Great!

* April 10 - Thank you for activating your Amex EveryDay Card. You can now start using your card to make purchases. So that is what I proceed to do.

* April 13 - Card is declined for use. I call to find out why and they want to verify my identity, which is fair - albeit strange after over $1k in charges & payments to keep util low. At the time the only way they want to verify my identity is to call me on a number they decide belongs to me, from public records. Lovely idea, except I ONLY have one number which is my new cell phone number that I used to apply for - no others come to me. So they tell me they called and left me a voicemail, if it is not on my cell then I should try calling family members to ask if a message was left for me. What a lovely idea?!

* April 14 - I call back and I'm given another option. Go to my bank and call once I get there. When I get there they want to speak to my bank teller to request a fax number so they can send their form straight to the bank. The bank teller fills out the form with my ID info, we sign, notarize and send to Amex.  Fair enough, and easily done.

* April 15 - Call from blocked number. They've received my documents and my identity has been verified you're good to go. And that I won't have any more issues with Amex.

Alright great! I've run a lot of my everyday transactions through the card to hit the 20 mark and submitted payment as well.  Rocky start, but sure I understand the need to protect a new account.

Business - AMEX Business Gold Rewards

* April 17 - They solicit ME to apply. I receive an offer in the mail, and I research it online. I see they give more rewards for advertising which we do alot of so I jump at the opportunity to move that spending from cash debit cards to Amex for the rewards.  Instant approval! *Yay happy dance*

* April 22 - I receive and activate the card around this time.  I get an email - LARGE PURCHASE ALERT. $516.61 - Google Adwords.

* April 24 - I receive an Account Snapshot showing current balance.

Then all downhill from here! All with NO communication initiated on American Express end.

I go to make a software purchase - $15xx.xx and it's declined. Which is fine, its a "large" purchase I guess for a new account. I call in to verify the charge, but am instead told my identity needs to be verified and they'll call me on a number they look up.  Here we go again I think, and I cut to the chase and ask if I can just go back to the bank and have a notarized form with my ID sent again.  They tell me no, and expect a call within an hour.

Hang up, call back end of the day. I'm told expect a call in 72 hours.  Of course no calls and who knows who they are calling.

I call back and now I'm told we need to verify charges made are mine. We do that, and I'm told I'm good to go start using the card.  I thank them and hang up.  Attempt a $1xx google adwords charge, and declined.

Call back and this time ask to be transferred to a supervisor (at this point of many calls, I'm tired of being transferred overseas where it feels like we're not communicating properly.)  I'm informed that my account is closed, and if I want a Business Gold card I should apply again for another.

I'm baffled! I ask why it was closed, and I'm given no information. I ask to be transferred to the "specialty department" (as called by the rep) that made the decision. I'm transferred there and explain this now long story to the rep.  He places me on hold to review notes, and then attempts to contact the agent that made the decision to close the account, but of course he's unavailable. I ask for a direct number to skip over the ton of transfers, and I'm given a number and told to call later.

I call back at the end of business, and the direct number isn't so direct.  The rep I speak with wants to verify transactions with me again. WHAT?! We go through the whole story again, and they tell me I need to apply for a new card again.

Soooo.....

I look up the new accounts number for this card, and call. I get a really nice guy, who sounds like he's from right down the block.  He's ready to punch in my info for a new cards, but before we get there I tell him.  I do not want to waste an inquiry on a new application, when I have no clue what has happened with my current card of one week.  As I'll apply again, ding my credit, and just be facing this again a week later.  

He agrees fully, and starts making calls himself for me.  He calls 3x different departments (a couple offshore and a consulting? one). The lady at consulting was also very helpful and definitely American.  She listens to my long long story and then places me on hold for what felt like eternity.

Finally, I've come full circle and I'm back overseas. I'm told again the account is closed and if I want a new one I need to apply again.  This after 1 hour & 4 minutes on the phone with AMEX. (Have the screenshot saved, but too much work to waste time uploading it.)  I ask why, and I'm told it was a confirmed fraud application - which baffles me again.  I used my legit personal info (same as my now verified personal card) and my legit business info, which is very easy to find on Google with numbers on our website that would easily reach me. But no call, no email (company email, not a gmail), no letter, nothing from Amex.

So my question is.  Why would I bother wasting another inquiry with AMEX, applying for a card they already approved and then cancelled, if I do not even know why or what the issue was?  I was ready to push all our business expenses through them, and instead I leave with a nasty taste. Treated as if I'm some fraudster - not even given the courtesy of a proper phone call to say, Hey we have some concerns with your account that we'd like to discuss.

Posting this long rant should make me feel better. If it doesn't I'll be closing out the active everyday card and ridding myself of AMEX all together which should do the trick.  Chase already approved for both business & personal cards, and I was able to easily prove my identity in the branch!

Thanks for reading my mini rant.  I've always thought AMEX was the gold standard for customer service and product offering.  Apparently I was wrong.

-Steven

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: American Express - Unpleasant Rollercoaster Experience

@riotz911 wrote:

Hey There,

Figured I'd come share my experience/frustration with the world here.  My welcome to the American Express family has been nothing short of a massive headache.

Personal - AMEX Everyday Card

* April 7 - Decided to apply. Instant approval $5k. *Yay happy dance*

We are pleased to let you know that your application for the Amex EveryDaySM Credit Card has been approved. We hope you’ll enjoy the benefits of Card Membership.

We are expediting your Card delivery, and you will receive it in 2 to 3 days.

Great!

* April 10 - Thank you for activating your Amex EveryDay Card. You can now start using your card to make purchases. So that is what I proceed to do.

* April 13 - Card is declined for use. I call to find out why and they want to verify my identity, which is fair - albeit strange after over $1k in charges & payments to keep util low. At the time the only way they want to verify my identity is to call me on a number they decide belongs to me, from public records. Lovely idea, except I ONLY have one number which is my new cell phone number that I used to apply for - no others come to me. So they tell me they called and left me a voicemail, if it is not on my cell then I should try calling family members to ask if a message was left for me. What a lovely idea?!

* April 14 - I call back and I'm given another option. Go to my bank and call once I get there. When I get there they want to speak to my bank teller to request a fax number so they can send their form straight to the bank. The bank teller fills out the form with my ID info, we sign, notarize and send to Amex.  Fair enough, and easily done.

* April 15 - Call from blocked number. They've received my documents and my identity has been verified you're good to go. And that I won't have any more issues with Amex.

Alright great! I've run a lot of my everyday transactions through the card to hit the 20 mark and submitted payment as well.  Rocky start, but sure I understand the need to protect a new account.

Business - AMEX Business Gold Rewards

* April 17 - They solicit ME to apply. I receive an offer in the mail, and I research it online. I see they give more rewards for advertising which we do alot of so I jump at the opportunity to move that spending from cash debit cards to Amex for the rewards.  Instant approval! *Yay happy dance*

* April 22 - I receive and activate the card around this time.  I get an email - LARGE PURCHASE ALERT. $516.61 - Google Adwords.

* April 24 - I receive an Account Snapshot showing current balance.

Then all downhill from here! All with NO communication initiated on American Express end.

I go to make a software purchase - $15xx.xx and it's declined. Which is fine, its a "large" purchase I guess for a new account. I call in to verify the charge, but am instead told my identity needs to be verified and they'll call me on a number they look up.  Here we go again I think, and I cut to the chase and ask if I can just go back to the bank and have a notarized form with my ID sent again.  They tell me no, and expect a call within an hour.

Hang up, call back end of the day. I'm told expect a call in 72 hours.  Of course no calls and who knows who they are calling.

I call back and now I'm told we need to verify charges made are mine. We do that, and I'm told I'm good to go start using the card.  I thank them and hang up.  Attempt a $1xx google adwords charge, and declined.

Call back and this time ask to be transferred to a supervisor (at this point of many calls, I'm tired of being transferred overseas where it feels like we're not communicating properly.)  I'm informed that my account is closed, and if I want a Business Gold card I should apply again for another.

I'm baffled! I ask why it was closed, and I'm given no information. I ask to be transferred to the "specialty department" (as called by the rep) that made the decision. I'm transferred there and explain this now long story to the rep.  He places me on hold to review notes, and then attempts to contact the agent that made the decision to close the account, but of course he's unavailable. I ask for a direct number to skip over the ton of transfers, and I'm given a number and told to call later.

I call back at the end of business, and the direct number isn't so direct.  The rep I speak with wants to verify transactions with me again. WHAT?! We go through the whole story again, and they tell me I need to apply for a new card again.

Soooo.....

I look up the new accounts number for this card, and call. I get a really nice guy, who sounds like he's from right down the block.  He's ready to punch in my info for a new cards, but before we get there I tell him.  I do not want to waste an inquiry on a new application, when I have no clue what has happened with my current card of one week.  As I'll apply again, ding my credit, and just be facing this again a week later.  

He agrees fully, and starts making calls himself for me.  He calls 3x different departments (a couple offshore and a consulting? one). The lady at consulting was also very helpful and definitely American.  She listens to my long long story and then places me on hold for what felt like eternity.

Finally, I've come full circle and I'm back overseas. I'm told again the account is closed and if I want a new one I need to apply again.  This after 1 hour & 4 minutes on the phone with AMEX. (Have the screenshot saved, but too much work to waste time uploading it.)  I ask why, and I'm told it was a confirmed fraud application - which baffles me again.  I used my legit personal info (same as my now verified personal card) and my legit business info, which is very easy to find on Google with numbers on our website that would easily reach me. But no call, no email (company email, not a gmail), no letter, nothing from Amex.

So my question is.  Why would I bother wasting another inquiry with AMEX, applying for a card they already approved and then cancelled, if I do not even know why or what the issue was?  I was ready to push all our business expenses through them, and instead I leave with a nasty taste. Treated as if I'm some fraudster - not even given the courtesy of a proper phone call to say, Hey we have some concerns with your account that we'd like to discuss.

Posting this long rant should make me feel better. If it doesn't I'll be closing out the active everyday card and ridding myself of AMEX all together which should do the trick.  Chase already approved for both business & personal cards, and I was able to easily prove my identity in the branch!

Thanks for reading my mini rant.  I've always thought AMEX was the gold standard for customer service and product offering.  Apparently I was wrong.

-Steven

Wow that sucks, it is a rollercoaster. I would not waste another pull for their card.

Message 2 of 12
riotz911
Valued Member

@Anonymous wrote:

-Steven

Wow that sucks, it is a rollercoaster. I would not waste another pull for their card.

Yeah, I definitely won't be wasting another inquiry with them.  Still debating on if I'm closing out the Everyday or not.  For the Biz Gold, I'll just wait for the bill that they'll most definitely send me for this supposedly fraud account, pay it off (even though I'm a supposed fraudster) and go about my business without them.  Its a shame about missing out on 3x rewards in Advertising & Cloud Computing from IBM where we do some very heavy spending.  But with this type of service, it's not worth the headache.  I'm curious to see what this letter of account closure says, if/when I get it in ~30 days.

Message 3 of 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Write the EO and explain the situation is your best bet.  Provide all releveant info and hopefully they will make it right for you!

Don't get me wrong I would be p i s s ed as well!

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a Costco AMEX card that I opened in 2001. I accumulated a $14k maxed out debt with them. I never missed a payment and paid it off in November. I didn't know better and cancelled the card once it was $0 balance. I hadn't been educated about keeping the older cards going. Anyway, about 3 months later I thought it would be nice to get a AMEX Blue Every Day card. I was approved but only for $2,500....I asked why and was never given a straight answer. I've used the card and immediately pay it down so it's $0 balance when the cycle closes. I pushed the love button and was rejected for a CLI, called for a recon and it was finally hinted that I closed a card less than a year ago....BINGO, that's really the reason. I've decided I'm going to just make a small purchase here and there but in no way will it ever be an everyday card for me and will try the CLI in 6 months. If no go, then it's getting closed down after a year. They have not been the friendliest and they are definitely in a foreign country which irks me a lot.

If I were you I would certainly decline a HP and take your loyal business to a CC company that will also be loyal to you. Hate to say it but Capital One might be that card. I had a $16k maxed out card that was also paid off in November and not only were they very professional with me when I asked to do a PC that was turned down but when I applied for the Quicksilver I got an immediate $10k limit.

Message 5 of 12
stengiz
Regular Contributor

this is similar to what happened to my business partner. he had an amex gold that  we were using heavily but pay in full every month. 6 months after they opened the account they wanted income verification, we sent out almost three times. and each time it wasn't enough so they decided to close. i said to him good riddance, we won't have to pay af . he agreed . around january  business checking account was charged the annual fee by amex. he called amex and told them account was closed by them and he was charged an annual fee,  csr told him that it was going to be refunded, call back later if it is not. a week later he showed me a letter saying that they shipped his new card with the chip embedded. so he calls back again tring to get a refund , they are telling him they already shipped him his new card and he can start using after activating. to me this looks like incompetence on amex's part. cause they lost a good amount of business closing the account for six months.we are still using it . let's see if they try to do the same thing  again cause the six month mark is approaching.

last app July 13 2016
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wanted to change the MSD to my old foreign Plat.

I had to make nearly 20 calls, and a couple of chats before something happened. The answers I got were:

• We have sent it to the backend team.
  • We have sent it to the Premier Ambassador Team.
  • It can take 12 working days for your new card to arrive.
  • It can take 2 weeks.
  • It takes as long as it takes.

Finally I called, found out that they had opened 5 inquiries for the same thing. One of the Supervisors told me she would personally take care of this and gave her direct number. 24 hours after she says that I get an email saying they issued me a new card and I login and I'm older now. She then calls me and apologises. If people give you trouble push for the supervisor.

NEVER give up. I had a problem with Transferwise shutting down my wifes account because she tried to transfer with our joint account. Weeks of phone calls/emails later they reinstated it. Then I was denied my reward, so I called up the lady told me there is nothing she can do apart from submit an inquiry. I asked can I speak to her manager, she told me the person would say the same. I asked 4 times more before she actually put me through. Then the manager took 30 minutes to read my case. Within 24 hours of that everything was resolved and they expadited my reward.

Don't give up, write a letter (notarize). Speak to the Facebook/Twitter stuff for AmEx. Get in touch with every person from every angle til you sort this out.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wonder if ol' Amex went through this when the "Goverment" ( we the people ) bailed them out to the tune of 1.5 billion in 09'? It's like you do one little thing and they want a instant blood sample. I went through this with Chase. 

I made a large purchase and then made a payment and then my card was blocked for "There security". I had to send in literally everything and it still was not unblocked I had to escalate my concern to there EO and then even higher. I wrote a letter to the CEO and I got a call the same day they received the letter. Its sad you gotta write a letter to the CEO of a company to get things resolved. 

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

ouch

Message 9 of 12
itguy_65
Frequent Contributor

I have Amex accounts, and also handle my mother's Amex accounts.  I have always gotten what I want with Amex.  Usually NOT on the first call, sometimes takes as many as 20 calls.  The key is to be persistent, politely escalate to a supervisor, never accept NO, don't lose your cool, and continually explain your expectations. 

EQ (3/24/17): 820 TU (3/24/17): 799 EX (3/24/17): 806
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.