Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex 3X CLI at 61 days denied

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex 3X CLI at 61 days denied

Hello all,

I was approved for the Delta Skymiles Gold with a 1K limit on 04/19. Score at the time was EX FICO08 628. Since then I have met the total spend for the 30K miles. The card was used upto the max and paid off right away. Statement balance on both statements was $8 and $115. The soft pull happened on my EXP was 6/10 pulled a score of 684; UTI at 11%, AAoA 3 years and 3 months and 11 INQ's alongwith 6 accounts in the last 6 months. I tried for the 3X CLI today past my 60 day mark and  was given the 7-10 day message. I called the credit department and was told that the request was declined due to excessive inquiries on my file. I have 11 INQ on my EXP in the past 24 months out of which 5 of them were from Amex. 4 approvals and 1 denial. Pretty bummed out but guess I will have to wait the next 90 days to try again. It was strange but I guess it's just my luck. NFCU Declined and now AMEX declined CLI. I have been in the Garden for 1 month and continue to stay in till June 2018 when I apply for a new car loan when I return from overseas. I appreciate all the input and thanks again.

Vic

16 REPLIES 16
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Amex 3X CLI at 61 days denied

Sorry about your denials. It happens from time to time. I wouldn't sweat the Amex denial. Most of us get CLI chances every 180 days. Which is really the norm for them. They just gave you an excuse to get you off the phone. Lol
I doubt your INQs had anything to do with it. It was more about the timing of your request.
Message 2 of 17
AllCredit
Frequent Contributor

Did you receive the email, shortly after approval regarding increasing our CL aft 5 statements?  I only ask because when I was approved for the $1K SL I received the email, therefore did not request and CLI at 60 day +...

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@allcredit
I didn't receive none of those emails. All 3 of my accounts were automatic approvals and I did qualify for all bonuses going on at the time like the 0% for 15 billing cycles and stuff. Only problem was the $1K limit haha. I'm gonna stay put in the Garden for another 6 months and then try again!!
Message 4 of 17
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Just remember your activation date and try 181 days from that date.
Message 5 of 17
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear about that Amex denial OP. Gmood is correct in that the reason (too much inq) they gave you was just a "generic" response. Anytime you get a borderline aprroval from Amex with SL of $500-$1K, it's almost next to impossible to get that 3X CLI @ 61 days. DW got that same Delta Gold Card from Amex with SL of $1K back in 06/2016 with EX 659. Tried the 3X CLI @ 91 days, declined! Then came auto CLI in 12/2016 @ 180 days for another $1K that bumped the CL to $2K.Tried 3X CLI In 02/2017, declined again! Then tried again 06/2017 Amex countered with 2X CLI which sits now at $4K CL. Her EX never changed that much from over a year ago except maybe go up a lil' to now 667.
She used the living daylights out of that card and made multiple weekly payments in a month (about $750 a week then PIF the next week Monday morning).
So basically just keep on using your card and keep making payments (multiple) and you'll see luv from them past your 180 day mark.
New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 6 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Youll get it eventually Vic. Lol, i got a little slap happy and pulled trigger early too and now have to wait til September to try again, would have been August. Nothing like getting a 3x to make one crsve moreSmiley Wink
Message 7 of 17
sueblue34
Frequent Contributor

I too received the Amex gold Delta with 1k limit...went for 3x cli at 61 Days and received a 7-10 message to call (which meant a denial) I didn't bother to call
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm looking at that 1K CL and wondering whether that's an internal message within Amex to go slow with CLI's. I have an initial CL with Amex of 4K, just got the card a week ago - charged a $22 tank of gas on Saturday and paid it off on the following Tuesday. I expect to take it very conservatively with Amex because of my history with them.

Question - when I get to the 60 days should I ask about a 3X CLI, which would bring their CL to $12K? I will have a dozen mortgage inquiries and the mortgage just hit my CRA. Other than that I have one other credit card with a $500 toy limit.

Message 9 of 17
AllCredit
Frequent Contributor

I would start here: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/The-Definitive-Amex-3X-CLI-Guide/m-p/181107...

But from my experience if you were approved for $1K, you most likely are not going to get a CLI at 61 days.  If you are at $2K or over, you should be okay for some sort of CLI.  I was approved for 2 Amex C in one night, one for $1K and the other for $2K, are received the 3x CLI on the $2K at 61 days.  The $1K, I received an email about paying on time and carrying a balance for 5 statements, I did that , received auto CLI to $2K...

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.