Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Approval with 3 judgements and a chargeoff

tag
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

Amex Approval with 3 judgements and a chargeoff

I'm shocked to be approved for a new blue amex card with a $2000 limit yesterday.

I had a chargeoff with amex back in 2006 and thought I was blacklisted for sure. I also got approved for a citi thank you reward card with a $6000 limit right before that.
I had multiple charged off citi accounts in the past as well.

The weird part is that amex and citi approved me with 3 existing paid judgements,1 chargeoff and scores under 700.

Pretty strange!

"Wisdom is the principal thing..."
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Amex Approval with 3 judgements and a chargeoff

Message 2 of 31
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

Yes. 2006 was my darkest financial year.
Message 3 of 31
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 31
Open123
Super Contributor

@Aim720 wrote:

The weird part is that amex and citi approved me with 3 existing paid judgements,1 chargeoff and scores under 700.

Congrats on the Amex Blue!

I don't think "paid" judgements in of itself are a huge concern; they've been satisfied, and those creditors no longer have recourse.  I've always found Amex to be more concerned with what you will do, as opposed to what you have done, which is the reason why they're often less concerned with "paid" judgements than other issuers.  

COs are a bigger issue, since they're "unpaid" debts, which means if it's within the statute, a creditor may still sue you for it; and, that, for whatever reason, you chose not to pay it.  

Regardless, whatever happened 3 years ago is pretty meaningless for what will happen tomorrow, let alone from 2006.

PS - 2006?  They should all fall off soon, right?

Message 5 of 31
HiLine
Blogger

Surprised American Express did not require you to pay for the chargeoff. Congratulations on the approval!!! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 31
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

@Aim720 wrote:
I'm shocked to be approved for a new blue amex card with a $2000 limit yesterday.

I had a chargeoff with amex back in 2006 and thought I was blacklisted for sure. I also got approved for a citi thank you reward card with a $6000 limit right before that.

Pretty strange!

I'm actually NOT surprised. Everyone here says that all AMEX Revolvers tend to have the same underlying requirements (just like their charge card products).

Yet I've always felt that the AMEX Delta Gold card and the AMEX Blue Card were the easiest to aquire (in the revolver AMEX category).

Congrats though! IF you REALLY want the AMEX BCE, you can always call CS and request a PC (just say, "Oh, I made the mistake of applying for the Blue card, really meant to get the BCE, blah blah blah).

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 7 of 31
zerobacan
Established Contributor

@Aim720 wrote:

Pretty strange!

What is your EX score, utility and current card?

Thanks and congrats!

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 8 of 31
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

My Macys Chargeoff is settled in full. I have no past due balance

I dont know what my EX score is.

I currently have a cap one $500 CL= 42% Util

Home depot $1,500 CL= 0% Util

furniture store card $1,500 CL= 0% Util

I have a dense file with over 33 close/open accounts including a mortgage and auto loan.

I also had only 5 inq. 2 in the last year

Message 9 of 31
OptimalCS
Frequent Contributor

My Macys Chargeoff is settled in full. I have no past due balance

I dont know what my EX score is.

I currently have a cap one $500 CL= 42% Util

Home depot $1,500 CL= 0% Util

furniture store card $1,500 CL= 0% Util

I have a dense file with over 33 close/open accounts including a mortgage and auto loan.

I also had only 5 inq. 2 in the last year

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.