Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCE and ED Cards

tag
LuckyB338
Regular Contributor

Amex BCE and ED Cards

I want to apply for BCE or ED, I was wondering if you guys can tell me what my odds are.

Discover Scorecard is 707, 1 yr length and 2 cred accs with 7% utilization. 

1 credit card: discover it

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex BCE and ED Cards

Amex has a prequalified site. I would suggest checking that out..

Amex is weird. Ive seen data points where people with mid 700 scores were denied and tons of data points with mid 600's being approved.

I would say if you have a year of positive history and no negatives you have a good shot.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have any negative items on your report? If not, then you may be fine getting approved.

Message 3 of 16
LuckyB338
Regular Contributor

wrote:

Do you have any negative items on your report? If not, then you may be fine getting approved.

No, there have been no negatives. I was worried because I was approved for discover about 5 months ago, and I've heard the consensus is that new members should wait longer prior to going for their second card.

Message 4 of 16
LuckyB338
Regular Contributor

Will do.

There have not been any negatives, but I was applied and approved for my first card about 5 months back. I've also been told that its better to wait a while prior to applying for a second credit account. Any input?

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

As stated above, check the prequal site. Amex prequals are pretty solid unless there's a baddie that can rear it's ugly head or multiple recent apps.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

wrote:

No, there have been no negatives. I was worried because I was approved for discover about 5 months ago, and I've heard the consensus is that new members should wait longer prior to going for their second card.

I got my BCE with only about 6 months history, actually my discover card was still secured at that point and my EX fico was only around 651 - actually I had literally only JUST gotten a fico score at all right around then, I did have 3 cards at the time but 2 were secured and the 3rd was a shopping cart trick card (all 3 were around 5-6 months old though), so I think you're actually further along than I was when I got mine (mine was a borderline approval with only a $500 SL but I could definitely see you at least getting the same)

@Anonymous tip by @Shadowfactor (edit: and also SC ^ lol i took too long posting this) on the preapproval site, definitely worth a shot trying it out just to give you a better idea of where you stand with them

Good luck, fingers crossed for you Heart

(Oh one more edit, if you do check the preapproval site and you get a hit for something be sure to check what they have listed for the APR, if it's a single number - or maybe a very small range - you should be good, if it's the full spread or a very large range then it's nowhere near as indicative of an approval - also that goes for any preapproval you get from any lender not just amex)

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

Will do.

There have not been any negatives, but I was applied and approved for my first card about 5 months back. I've also been told that its better to wait a while prior to applying for a second credit account. Any input?

If you checked for the preapproval and nothing shows up, it's actually a good idea to wait till your credit card ages a bit more. The reason is not primarily about approval odds, but the public signup bonuses for these two cards ($150 statement credit / 10k MR) aren't the best, and as you get more credit history Amex may send you targeted offers with better signup bonus.

However if you do check the prequalified offers and get something like $250 back for the BCE saying you are preapproved for the offer, then apply ASAP since it may be time limited.

Message 8 of 16
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

One thing I will mention that I don't think has been said yet is the BCE and ED both have different rewards programs. Make sure that whichever you decide fits what your end game goals are. BCE is obviously cashback which is very cut and dry. ED is a MR points earning card which can be redeem for various things such as travel and gift cards. Don't have app regret getting the wrong card depending on what you want.

Message 9 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Excellent point SimplyNoirSmiley Happy. OP, even though you said you got your Disco 5 months ago, i assume youve had credit before as to not having a new file. Maybe pull your Ficos to see where you are. Remember Amex likes to pull Experian. GOOD LUCKSmiley Happy
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.