Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex BCE didn't give me promo

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex BCE didn't give me promo

So I recently applied online and was approved for an Amex BCE. I just got the card in the mail and none of the materials they sent indicated any of the promo offers. When I applied, the promo offer was for a 10% back at U.S. restaurants (up to $2k spend in the first 6 months), plus $100 back after you spend $1k within the first 3 months.

Suspicious, I called Amex to see check to make sure the promo was included. They told me that the promo only applies to the Amex BCP. So I went on to the Amex website to double check and sure enough... all the promos were gone. On both BCE and BCP.

But here's the kicker: if I open up my browser in incognito mode, the offers are clearly there. I tried to explain this to the CSR and they just told me sorry, the promo is only for the BCP.

This is my first Amex so I'm pretty mad about this. I'm missing out on $300 cashback, which is why I got the card in the first place!

What's going on here, is Amex pulling a fast one on me?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Amex BCE didn't give me promo

@Anonymous wrote:

So I recently applied online and was approved for an Amex BCE. I just got the card in the mail and none of the materials they sent indicated any of the promo offers. When I applied, the promo offer was for a 10% back at U.S. restaurants (up to $2k spend in the first 6 months), plus $100 back after you spend $1k within the first 3 months.

Suspicious, I called Amex to see check to make sure the promo was included. They told me that the promo only applies to the Amex BCP. So I went on to the Amex website to double check and sure enough... all the promos were gone. On both BCE and BCP.

But here's the kicker: if I open up my browser in incognito mode, the offers are clearly there. I tried to explain this to the CSR and they just told me sorry, the promo is only for the BCP.

This is my first Amex so I'm pretty mad about this. I'm missing out on $300 cashback, which is why I got the card in the first place!

What's going on here, is Amex pulling a fast one on me?

I don't know if this would help, but if it were me, I would take a screenshot of the page showing the promotion, then call back and ask the CSR for an email address to the EO or whomever so that you can email the picture. A picture is worth a thousand words. If it was there when you applied for the card, it should be honored.

Good luck.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 2 of 14
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

I agree.  I would take the screenshot.  

I know that Amex does have fine print that states that if you have ever had the promo before you can never qualify for it again.  You might check the wording on it to make sure that even if you have ever converted to this card before but not gotten the promo you might still not be able to get it.  I recently considered getting the Delta signup bonus again but decided that since it was not going to be given then why bother.  I got other cards instead.

If you have not gotten the card or the promo in the past then I would most definitely do the screenshot and contact their EO.  After all it doesn't hurt to try.  If they say no they won't give it to you, then report them to both the CFPB and the BBB.  Amex usually does the right thing, so it is odd they didn't start out that way.  I will also state that I did have the BCP and had some issues with a supervisor who said he would credit me partially the amount of the AF at one point to keep me from reducing the card to the BCE.  It never happened and Amex employees from that point on denied knowing anything about it.  I downgraded and put the BCE in my sock drawer.  Now I pull it out when there is an online promotion that I can use it for.

Amex is no longer the same in my opinion.  Where once they were the icing on the cake in credit cards, now they are merely just another ingredient in the whole mix.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 3 of 14
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

Hmmm. I just app'd & was approved for BCE yesterday, so you have me worried. I've been using their pre-qualification page. When the pre-qual page first pre-approved for BCE back in feb. I saw the $100 spend bonus, 10% restuarant, and 12 mo. 0% intro APR. Dr. of Credit has been claiming Amex keeps sweetening offers, so I waited. Yesterday when I checked I was offered $150 spend bonus, no restuarant 10%, and 15 mo. 0% intro APR. It also quoted an exact APR after into, 17.74%, so I app'd. I didn't take screenshots because . . . well it's Amex. So I'll check when the card & materials arrive, fingers crossed.

Message 4 of 14
JamP
Valued Contributor

There is definitley an offer on the BCE still until 5/3/17

BCE OFFER.PNG

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update on this: I was able to reach an EO who said that I applied at nearly the precise moment the promo offers had switched. I guess there was some kind of glitch so I didn't actually get the 10% on U.S. suprmarkets promo.

However, the promo they had on my account was actually for $250 cashback if I spent $1k in the first 3 months. Unfortunately the EO wasn't able to switch to the 10% supermarkets promo. But I'm actually OK with it because I'm getting more cashback for less spend, so I just left it at there...

They also said I wouldn't see any of the details of the promo on my account until the first statement was cut. I said they should try to fix that to make it more clear what promo I have applied, which they may look into now.

Message 6 of 14
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

That's great news Snu

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 14
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

It sounds like a poor explanation to me.  I know that Amex usually stands behind what they advertise, but now it seems that they might be on a downward path for customer service.

I am glad what they did give you, you are happy with.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 8 of 14
601flyguy
Established Contributor

I got my bce about a month ago so maybe I can help. If you clicked the offer when applying I'm pretty sure you are signed up. I don't recall any mention of the promo with the card, online, via phonr, or anywhere else. But here is a way you can make sure. Go buy fast food. With the 10% restaurant promo, the 10% is credited back as a statement credit usually within 24 hours.
2019 Spend Summary
$944,008 Amex BRG
$91,953 Amex SC
$58,351 Discover It
$50,046 BofA CR
$36,146 Amex PRG
$6,774 Cap1 QS
$963 Amex CM

$1,188,241 Yearly Spend
Message 9 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@TiggerDat wrote:

It sounds like a poor explanation to me.  I know that Amex usually stands behind what they advertise, but now it seems that they might be on a downward path for customer service.

I am glad what they did give you, you are happy with.

This isn't really a new thing indicating a downward path, over the years you will see this kind of thing happening with almost every issuer.  For whatever reason, the offer presented on the front end doesn't make it into the backend systems.   So RandomUser calls and says "Why aren't I getting the promo I was offered?" and get a response like "You were not enrolled for that offfer" which makes the user angry.   So it's not so much standing behind what they advertise, as far as the CSR knows, the user got exactly what was advertised.     Where issuers may differentiate themselves is how much effort they are willing to put into checking if the user is really correct, and how empowered employees are to make changes.

Also remember that the credit card community such as MyFico aren't always above temptation, calling in claiming targetted offers they hear about here that they weren't targetted for!  From a CSR viewpoint, this makes real stuff like the OPs less believable.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.