Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CC soft pull

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex CC soft pull

Hey guys! I was checking the status of my application and found something interesting, decline of Credit Card is only a soft pull. please see below from Amex FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions (10)
If you are looking for more information, please try our site search.
My application for a Card was declined. Will this affect my credit score and report?

If your application was declined, we do not report it to the credit bureaus. This will not affect your credit score. However, your request for a Card will show up on your credit bureau reports as a request for credit, also known as an "inquiry."

You can visit our Consumer Resources page to learn more about credit scores and reports.

Did this answer help you? Yes No
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex CC soft pull

If you are an existing Amex customer that is true. If it would be your first card with them, a denial will still result in a hard pull.

Message 2 of 18
JGGM
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey guys! I was checking the status of my application and found something interesting, decline of Credit Card is only a soft pull. please see below from Amex FAQ's

My application for a Card was declined. Will this affect my credit score and report?

If your application was declined, we do not report it to the credit bureaus. This will not affect your credit score. However, your request for a Card will show up on your credit bureau reports as a request for credit, also known as an "inquiry."

You can visit our Consumer Resources page to learn more about credit scores and reports.

I think what they mean is that they don't report that your application was declined. They're not doing anything special here. It says it will still show an "inquiry"

Current Score 7-1-21: TU: 812 EX: 805 EQ: 839
Goal Score:ACHIEVED - 800 Across the Board
In My Wallet: Cap1 QS - PenFed Power Cash Rewards - PenFed Promise - AmEx Delta Platinum - DISCO - NFCU Cash Rewards - Chase Sapphire Preferred

Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JGGM wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I think what they mean is that they don't report that your application was declined. They're not doing anything special here. It says it will still show an "inquiry"

Incorrect, I have an AMEX account and I have applied for their Delta card twice and both times it was a SP because both times they denied my application.  If they approve the card they do an HP and it gets reported.  

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

But you're saying that's if you're already a member. 

What RepsForJesus copied was literally stating it will be a hard inquiry but it wont say "declined".

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

The second post says that what the OP says is true if your already a member.  You then posted the opposite which is what I responded to.  The OP never said if he was a member or not.  

Message 6 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@JGGM wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

^^^ This exactly.

People aren't reading closely enough...

"My application for a Card was declined. Will this affect my credit score and report?

If your application was declined, we do not report it to the credit bureaus. This will not affect your credit score."

"It" in this case is the decline itself, not a SP/HP.  Many people aren't as savvy as the typical myFICO member, and they might not realize that declines aren't reported to credit bureaus.  This is not saying a SP/HP won't be done.  I do agree this is splitting hairs, since the inquiry itself (if a HP) can affect credit scores, of course.

It's well-known on here that for existing Amex (Centurion) cardholders, additional cards are usually SP if declined, with approvals being either SP or HP (again, YMMV).  There's a disclaimer, of course, that any application for credit might cause a HP, so if you're in a situation where a HP would be problematic you should consider holding off regardless of what "usually" happens.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was recently approved for a Blue Cash Amex thought I would wait a month to apply for the Delta Sky Miles card and bang! Declined. I was rather surprised. All this mess I hear about soft pull, hard pull...I can tell you they hard pulled my application. I asked the rep when I called back I thought that you did not do a hard pull for declined applications, he stated we pull the credit for every application. I asked for a recon, he said he would push it through fro a manual recon, however I was not able to speak with anyone about a recon. Is this normal? I heard that the Delta card was the easiest to get. Stated too many inquiries for reason listed that reason 2 times. Also used public record reason which is 4 years old. Why approve me for a Blue Cash then?

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for BCE last month. Got approved for the everyday card today with just a soft pull.
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you tell me what your BCE card apr was and your starting limit ?

also the starting limit on the ED card..

I am debating on apping myself, but not sure yet !

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.