Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex CLI Denial Question

tag
Derrick1977
Frequent Contributor

Amex CLI Denial Question

Hello Everyone-

When can I try again?   I applied for a CLI on January 18th for my Delta AMEX and was denied.  I got the letter today saying the account was too new.

I just opened it up on November 27, 2015.  When will I be able to try again?  Also, I noticed that they used the same credit score from when I applied in November.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex CLI Denial Question

91 days after January 18 you can try again

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Derrick1977 wrote:

Hello Everyone-

When can I try again?   I applied for a CLI on January 18th for my Delta AMEX and was denied.  I got the letter today saying the account was too new.

I just opened it up on November 27, 2015.  When will I be able to try again?  Also, I noticed that they used the same credit score from when I applied in November.

Hi,

some people here say that you would have to wait 90 days after a CLI denial. However, I opened a BCE account on October last year, tried a CLI early December and I was denied by the same reason they gave you. Just after the 3rd statement cut I tried again and got an increase from $2,000 to $5,000.

Joster

Message 3 of 9
Derrick1977
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

91 days after January 18 you can try again

That sucks lol.  Ok, I guess I will wait.   Now I understand why people say wait till 61 days before you ask for a CLI if you didn't request it upon activation.   Its because they use your the same report.  lol.. 

Message 4 of 9
Derrick1977
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Derrick1977 wrote:

Hello Everyone-

Hi,

some people here say that you would have to wait 90 days after a CLI denial. However, I opened a BCE account on October last year, tried a CLI early December and I was denied by the same reason they gave you. Just after the 3rd statement cut I tried again and got an increase from $2,000 to $5,000.

Joster

That would be so ideal if I could do it that way because that would mean I could try again  February 28.

Message 5 of 9
SLO805
Frequent Contributor

I was just reading Amex 3xcli official thread. 

My my interpretation of u request CLI too early on your 61 day, you'd still be eligible to request on your actual 61day. Not reset to additional 90 or whatever. 

So ex.- if you got the card (I forget your date) nov 25, then Jan 26th or after is clear to request. Idk I was at work reading while on conference calls lol search it for sure. 

Gardening 25JAN16 - 25JUL16

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SLO805 wrote:

My my interpretation of u request CLI too early on your 61 day, you'd still be eligible to request on your actual 61day. Not reset to additional 90 or whatever. 

So ex.- if you got the card (I forget your date) nov 25, then Jan 26th or after is clear to request. Idk I was at work reading while on conference calls lol search it for sure. 

That thread is outdated.  The 61 day wait to apply for a CLI does not exist and hasnt for over a year. You can try at any point after activation.  If youre denied, you need to wait 91 days to try again.  Like any rule some people might slip thru like the above poster but from hundeds, if not thousands of other people trying on this forum and elsewhere, you have to wait 91 days.

Message 7 of 9
SLO805
Frequent Contributor

is it every 91 days now? or 181? or is there a new thread w a layout available lol thanks man/woman

@Anonymous wrote:

@SLO805 wrote:

That thread is outdated.  The 61 day wait to apply for a CLI does not exist and hasnt for over a year. You can try at any point after activation.  If youre denied, you need to wait 91 days to try again.  Like any rule some people miht slip thru like the above poster but from hundeds, if not thousands of other people trying on this forum and elsewhere, you have to wait 91 days.

Gardening 25JAN16 - 25JUL16

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SLO805 wrote:

is it every 91 days now? or 181? or is there a new thread w a layout available lol thanks man/woman

@Anonymous wrote:

@SLO805 wrote:

That thread is outdated.  The 61 day wait to apply for a CLI does not exist and hasnt for over a year. You can try at any point after activation.  If youre denied, you need to wait 91 days to try again.  Like any rule some people miht slip thru like the above poster but from hundeds, if not thousands of other people trying on this forum and elsewhere, you have to wait 91 days.

You have to wait 91 days after a denial to try again or if you're approved you have to wait 181 days to try for another increase.  No, there isn't another thread.  It needs updating but other than the part about having to wait 61 days after you're approved to try for a CLI, most of the information in there is accurate.  I've mentioned before to the powers that be that the thread needs updating and refreshed but it never quite got done.  Just have to rely on the knowledge of the experienced posters here.

And I'm a man 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.