Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Denial

tag
NichelleN
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Denial

I went through reconsideration with Amex but I had a change on my report. Long story short (with no details), I ended up with 3 hard pulls over a one month period as they 'reconsidered'. I did get approved. But as others have said, unless something significant on your report has changed, I'd work on the reasons for denial instead of going for a recon.

More than enough credit.
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you for the valuable information. wish i knew all this beforehand...

Message 12 of 19
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Was just denied for Amex everyday cc. Pefect payment history. utilization is 0% for 3 of my cards and 2 other cards are at 27 and 29. Have a car loan that has perfect history. History is only about 1 year, and i do have a few inquiries. I know those 2 things look bad and maybe along with the 2 relatively high utilizations, even though they are below 30. But i have been perfect thus far. Just called CS line, and was told a new report could be pulled or not be pulled with a reconsideration. not taking another pull for nothing. 

Does anybody have or know of a direct reconsideration line?

What was the reason for the denial.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe it was cuz i had too many inquiries. But i have a bunch of double inquiries. So only like 4 true inquiries. 

Message 14 of 19
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe it was cuz i had too many inquiries. But i have a bunch of double inquiries. So only like 4 true inquiries. 

One of the MyFico members wrote that she did a written recon to Amex. In the letter she addressed the reason for the denial and was approved for the card. So in your case you can explain all the inquiries and highlight your payment history and how much yo would value the Amex card, etc.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 15 of 19
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

AMEX is NOT inq sensitive.. for me, at least. Approved with over 55 on my Ex
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am just curious here. How do you obtain 55 inquiries in a 2 year span. Maybe inquiries don't matter as much weight as i thought with someone with an established credit history. I personally was counting down the days they would disappear. Maybe they don't hold that much water as i previosuly thought.

Message 17 of 19
Method2Madness
Regular Contributor

Rebuilding, car loan applications, and mortgage applications can really last on the inq's. While they don't hold as much weight as some make them out, they DO still play a role.

Total Available Credit: $145,950   ||Feb 2018||EQ08-705||EX08-728||TU08-741||

Message 18 of 19
Method2Madness
Regular Contributor

*lay on the inq's.

Total Available Credit: $145,950   ||Feb 2018||EQ08-705||EX08-728||TU08-741||

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.