Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Everyday Card Denied...Interesting (to me) denial reasons

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Everyday Card Denied...Interesting (to me) denial reasons

Amidst my recent application success, I thought I would try for the AMEX Everyday Card to boost my MR account, which will have 60K points after my Platinum bonus hits.  Unfortunately, AMEX wasn't having it.  MY EX FICO AMEX pulled was 686, but the denial reasons are as follows:

Your FICO® score - 686 (clearly score isn't everything for AMEX as I was approved for SPG and Delta Gold 2 years                                                                                              ago with lower scores around 650)

Your consumer credit report indicates your payment history has been unsatisfactory  (This is interesting as the                                                                                                    unsatisfactory payments on my consumer credit report are the same unsatisfactory                                                                                                      payments that existed in 2016 when I was approved for 2 AMEX cards that have been                                                                                                  maintained flawlessly since 2016, including managing to accrue over 30K in spend on my                                                                                            SPG card with a 1K limit and a recent Platinum card)

The number of credit card accounts on which, in our estimation, you have not paid a majority of the balance in recent                                            months as indicated in your credit report.  (My current utilization is around 6%, but maybe they can see prior monthly                                                                                          statement balances which were quite high for a few months)

My details are in my siggy below. I was a bit disappointed as I wanted to put some spend on this card and boost my MR account as I won't be earning many MRs through my Platinum card other than non-American Airlines flights.  While I appreciate the Platinum card and will take full advantage of the lounge access benefit, which is my primary use for the card, I'm not happy with the constant CLI rejections and the current card denial.  I know you can't win them all, but at least give me a reason that feels plausible. 

As much as I value SPG points, I think I am going to spend the rest of 2018 earning some URs insteadand see what happens.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Everyday Card Denied...Interesting (to me) denial reasons

Umm, something else might be lurking there that AMEX did not like. Sorry you got denied!
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
Umm, something else might be lurking there that AMEX did not like. Sorry you got denied!

Thanks. Could be. I didn't bother to recon as I understand that AMEX doesn't normally do recons. 

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not neccessarily the case. I would however, pull your reports and make sure all there belongs to you.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been pretty on top of my reports lately and unfortunately it's all mine. 

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m looking at your siggy and you have some great cards!

I would wait until this falls off —> ONE CO 2014 - reporting as current CO on EXP (in dispute)
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
I’m looking at your siggy and you have some great cards!

I would wait until this falls off —> ONE CO 2014 - reporting as current CO on EXP (in dispute)

Yep. I just got the FU, so I feel better that I'm going to the garden on a yes instead of a no. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I reconned with Amex.. they sent me a letter saying they were sticking by their original decision.

You just have to call and tell them you want someone to go over your app and tell them why you think you should be approved.

I’m over Amex at the moment.. they’re so quick to deny for stupid reasons, in my opinion.
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
I reconned with Amex.. they sent me a letter saying they were sticking by their original decision.

You just have to call and tell them you want someone to go over your app and tell them why you think you should be approved.

I’m over Amex at the moment.. they’re so quick to deny for stupid reasons, in my opinion.

I hear you. I have been feeling that way for a minute, especially with them not giving me any kind of CLI notwithstanding that nothing on my report is any different than what was there when they approved the card, and I clearly demonstrated my ability to handle the card responsibly (if that is what they were looking for).  I've decided not to recon.  Now that I have the FU, I'm moving my spend to Chase to build up my UR account, so I don't need the AMEX card. While I love that I have the recently approved Platinum, I'm realizing that it was not hard for them to approve that. They get a lovely fee from me and they have control over what purchases they approve or decline. NPSL doesn't mean no limit. I'm taking a break from AMEX at the moment as well. 

Message 9 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I have a sneaking suspicion that my previous bk , including them, is holding me back with getting further cli with Amex. Even makng sure i have 6 months in between requests, they still dont want to extend any more credit so sometimes our past mistakes might be forgiven but necessarily forgotten.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.