Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex - Existing member pre-qualified vs not pre-qualified offers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex - Existing member pre-qualified vs not pre-qualified offers

Hello my fello myFICOers,

Just spoke to Amex CSR to confirm the following -  This only applies to existing Amex members.

1. If you have a pre-qualification for a CC offer on your account, then applying for it constitutes as a SP.

2. If you do not have a pre-qualified CC offer on your account, then applying for it constitutes as a HP.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
waxingmoon

Re: Amex - Existing member pre-qualified vs not pre-qualified offers

I can confirm that this was my experience, recently. I have had a Delta Gold since 2015. I applied and was approved for the Amex ED back in December, which I had a preapproval for. No HP has shown up on any credit bureau in reference to that approval, and the fico quoted on the approval letter was from the most recent SP they had on file. So in this case even with an approval, there appears to have never been a HP.

FICO 8's as of 11/10/2020 - EX(710)EQ(698)TU(703)
AmEx EveryDay($7500) | AmEx BCE($1100) | Barclays View MC($1700)
Discover It($5100) | Capital One QS1($2500) | Wal-Mart($6000) | Citi Diamond($1850) | Citi Costco($5500)
BofA Cash Rewards($3100) | Chase Freedom Unlimited($3300) | Chase Slate($3700) | Citi Rewards+($3200) | PenFed PCR($7500)
PNC Core($4000) | Amazon Prime Storecard($1500) | Citi DC($2900)
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wasnt pre qualified for my business cards from Amex and didn't get a HP. I was approved for 3 charge cards and 3 revolvers in under 90 days and only 1 HP which was the initial HP when I first applied. 

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

I wasnt pre qualified for my business cards from Amex and didn't get a HP. I was approved for 3 charge cards and 3 revolvers in under 90 days and only 1 HP which was the initial HP when I first applied. 

Your experience in fact contradicts what the CSR told me. Interesting...

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Regular customer service rep may not be knowledgeable about it, any they may give incorrect information.

Message 5 of 10
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

Perhaps they just used the 1 HP for all, since they were relatively close together. 

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 6 of 10
Uniqua
Established Contributor

I have the personal Hilton AMEX card. I was approved for two AMEX business cards in December 2017.  Did not get pre-qualified offers for either CC, received instant approval for both, and had no HPs whatsoever from AMEX.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve been back with them for two years now. Haven’t ever seen ‘preapproval’ wording when looking at different cards and still was approved for my SPG 3 months ago without a HP
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

When i applied for the PRG and Delta Gold, they both were worded "Pre-Approved". Is there a differnce between that and "Pre-qualified"?

Message 9 of 10
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

If you're logged into you AmEx account, look at cards and the wording is along the lines of "Somewhere, You're pre-approved" then you should be good. if the wording is...expanding your membership is easy....then you're not.

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.