Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Hilton Hhonors CLI Declined AGAIN

tag
mattmyFIC0
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Hilton Hhonors CLI Declined AGAIN

I also had very poor luck getting a CLI from amex on my hilton card I've had for almost two years. That was until this last month...

I read the AMA (last month I think?) from the person who works at amex and suddenly I realized what was needed. They said that amex doesn't just look at how you're using that particular card but how you are using all of your amex cards vs other cards in your portfolio. They don't care about balances and utilization. They want swipes! (just paraphrasing of course on the AMA data but I think it's accurate)

Taking that to heart I used my amex cards like crazy in december (~20K between business and personal cards) and sure enough I got a 3x cli on my hilton card this month. Nothing else changed in my profile besides a new account reporting.

Scores 01/04/2017: EQ 719, TU 750, EX 716
Goal scores: 740 across the board
Message 11 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Sorry to hear about the no cli. My question relates to your spend pattern. I see you make 3-4k spend monthly but carry 3k balance out of 15k cl. Any reason you cannot pay off those balances . Could be they see that and are concerned. Just curious. Thanks op, and hope you get your cli in the future.
Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mattmyFIC0 wrote:

I also had very poor luck getting a CLI from amex on my hilton card I've had for almost two years. That was until this last month...

I read the AMA (last month I think?) from the person who works at amex and suddenly I realized what was needed. They said that amex doesn't just look at how you're using that particular card but how you are using all of your amex cards vs other cards in your portfolio. They don't care about balances and utilization. They want swipes! (just paraphrasing of course on the AMA data but I think it's accurate)

Taking that to heart I used my amex cards like crazy in december (~20K between business and personal cards) and sure enough I got a 3x cli on my hilton card this month. Nothing else changed in my profile besides a new account reporting.

This is interesting read, what happens if you have one AMEX revolver and one AMEX charge card, say I tend to use the Charge card more because it gives you more flexible spending limit vs. a low limit Amex revolver, would your usage on the AMEX charge also factor in and help with the CLI decision on your AMEX revolver? I know that it has been said many times that it is always YMMV. I am asking because I have a BCE which is also at 1K SL and turning 6 mos. old this coming Sept. and if applying for an AMEX charge to help support my internal profile with AMEX would help, then I would probably consider that, specially that it would not be a Hard Pull if I get denied.

Message 13 of 16
700orbust
Frequent Contributor

Number 3 question is probably the answer here, something must be keeping the scores down, a 90 day from years ago wouldn't hold down a clean payment record to 704. There must be high util going on or something else (a collection, public record, etc)

"3. What's in your profile that's keeping your scores down?"

Because my experience with Amex is that they are usually pretty forgiving to long time members...I've ran my card up to 2x its official limit multiple times, and taken months to pay it back down, I've been 10-15 days late with payments in the past, and get default apr notices and then get letters saying they decided they wouldn't do that actually, I've been through an FR and survived, blah blah blah. I've definitely leaned on them in the past but I always come through. I think they appreciate that kind of thing.

------------------------------------------------

What's in my wallet?

Apple, Amex BCP, Platinum, Gold, NFCU Flagship, Spark Biz.
Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This is funny to keep reading this on Amex cards that start with a $1k and $2k SL. And the sad part willwar is right about what he/she is saying. Amex will leave you hanging on to that card for a long time. My Delta started at a $1k and still sits there, everytime I wait and ask for a CLI, similar response, the crazy part they always say call us, like they are going to review the decision. They just want to say we still aren't giving it to you. I've tried the increased usage method, nothing zilch. My card is over a year old now. Alas, applied for a Hilton with a fresh collection hitting my EX (I didn't know until after I apped otherwise clean) my score went from a 743 to a 683 approved for the Hilton at $8.4k. I find the behavior odd how they tend to approve new limits but not existing cards.

My experience with those 'bucket' thingy is somewhat different.

I started with ED, CL 500, in Nov last year when I didnt even have EX fico.   Jan this year, Delta, CL 1000.  Delta CLI to 3000 in April.  ED auto CLI to 1000 in May or June.  A few weeks ago, BCP instant CL of 10000 and PRG.  I am planning for 3x CLI for BCP in October.

I dont know what their logic is for approvals, but I assume high spending and high income helped.  I just utilized their cards and PIF each month.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mattmyFIC0 wrote:

I missed this.....thanks for sharing! 

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.