Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Preapproval or Not?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Preapproval or Not?

I currently have a BCE with Amex and I clicked on the "Charge & Credit Card Offers" section.  It gives me a list of featured cards and when I click on one it says

"Applying to expand your membership with us is easy, "

I'm guessing this means no pre-approval and I'll be denied? The only info it asks for is income.  Underneath that it says

"We have used information about you and/or your business on file with American Express to extend this offer to you. This offer is based on the accuracy of that information. Information that we have on file will be used for the application associated with this offer. We will only request additional information that we require from you at this time. If you desire to change any information we have on file, you may do so by calling the number on the back of your Card, however, you may no longer be eligible for this offer."

Does this mean that it would only be a SP if I applied?  No HP?  I'm just trying to figure out Amex's way of doing things here.  Thanks!!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Preapproval or Not?

I just got my first Amex in decades and SOME cards say "You're preapproved!" and others says "expanding is easy".

I personally am avoiding the second one and hoping to see the first one on Platinum eventually!

Message 2 of 5
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have a BCE with Amex and I clicked on the "Charge & Credit Card Offers" section.  It gives me a list of featured cards and when I click on one it says

I'm guessing this means no pre-approval and I'll be denied? The only info it asks for is income.  Underneath that it says

"We have used information about you and/or your business on file with American Express to extend this offer to you. This offer is based on the accuracy of that information. Information that we have on file will be used for the application associated with this offer. We will only request additional information that we require from you at this time. If you desire to change any information we have on file, you may do so by calling the number on the back of your Card, however, you may no longer be eligible for this offer."

Does this mean that it would only be a SP if I applied?  No HP?  I'm just trying to figure out Amex's way of doing things here.  Thanks!!

Correct - if it says "Expanding your membership is easy...." denial and only a SP. You might want to try the incognito trick to pre-approve and see if you would qualify for anything. That is how I got my BCE last night. The HP (since I was approved) showed up early this morning.

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 3 of 5
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

When I go to the "apply" for a specific card it states "SJT, you're pre-approved"

With Amex it really doesnt matter because its only a SP if you are denied.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 5
GFer
Valued Contributor

I guess I don't understand the incognito method. I've tried this before, and it requested I login.  I guess it recognized my info.

EQ 817, EX 815, TU 813 (Updated 1/5/18: TU 843

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.