cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone ever mistakenly applied after the bell on Friday/the weekend? AMEX 14 day msg after prequal

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anyone ever mistakenly applied after the bell on Friday/the weekend? AMEX 14 day msg after prequal

an early Friday evening?(It may have actually been very late in the afternoon, I'm not sure)   And then received the magic "14 day" message, leaving you at the longest wait possible until anyone who can even help you was back in the office?  Mind you, this was my first app in well over a year, and only my 2nd in 18 months or so, so it isnt like I had a lot of practice.  I was so into what I was doing, I had lost track of the day and time, and now have been frustrated.  

Ive read stories of members checking the Amex status link, but it just keeps telling me "in progress, check back in 24 hours".

While I'm at it, my Experian fico 08 is 752,  so I'm wondering why I got this message?  Moreover, it was only a BCE everyday, which the Amex site said I was prequalified for(not just a suggestion).  I do have a chapter 7 that was discharged 5.5 years ago(Amex NOT IIB, never had one before...was excited as heck to be prequalified!), but as I said, their own system showed me as prequalified.  I think my Experian only had 5 inquiries if I recall corrrently, 6 at the most, none in over a year.  Right now the nervousness that some can relate to is being added on top of the frustration of the wait.  

If anyone has any advice and/or encouragement, I could use some now before this drives me to drink.  

EDIT: For those with a PO box as their main address, I wanted to add that my PO Box address is what I prequalified under, although they made me  include a physical address of course, under the old guise of stopping terrorism(lol, how many people actually buy that?).  Was cool that the prequal site allowed me to put in the POB, because its the address on my fico reports...and most prequal sites dont let me.  

EDIT #2: I just realized that a number of bulletin boards Ive been on seem to get far more action during business hours(cough cough) for some reason, so if this board is similar, my post may have missed the majority of traffic for now, like my application/delay missed the chance to get resolution for awhile.  We will see?  Again, even if my concerns/frustrations seem silly to some, I hope they can understand and that this may be something to remind others, and help others who find themselves in similar circumstances.  

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Has anyone ever mistakenly applied on

Don't sweat it, you'll be fine IMO.  Give them a few days to do their thing and a week from now you'll look back and laugh that you were on edge over the app Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 41
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

It could be me but just because one is prequaled doesnt always equate to an approval. Things can change in ones report in the time one was prequaled to the actual application. Just to keep in mindSmiley Wink
Message 3 of 41
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

It's probably just verification.  You can always give them a call.  If it's just verification they can usually give you a decision on the phone.  Best of luck to you!

Message 4 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

What exactly do they ask in this verification?  Im not the quickest thinking on my feet, but I'm guessing if they email me monday they aren't going to tell me what the issue is before I call anyhow, right?  (Actually I just checked the status page, the phone # it says to call gives me M-F hours).  Ive read some other weekend threads where I think the person said they were told to call after the weekend, so I'm not even sure if I have a choice.  Folks, even though Amex may have lowered there standards, this is a big step for me post BK.  Im excited, otherwise I would have waited another 5 months until most of my inquiries fall off.  

Id been struggling for a couple of days over whether to 1)do it at all or wait 5 months, and 2)whether to go with the Everyday(tm) or BCE.  I think my 3rd choice was the green card, which I dont recall grabbing my interest.  Once I answered both questions to my satisfaction and the inner battle was over, apparently the work week had just ended and I was in for a wait.  I know it may sound very, very silly, but some of you probably can relate to struggling for a long time with multiple decisions, and then when you finally feel the inner liberation and your decision(s), you have to wait at least a few days(after reading about many instant decisions for others for the product you'd researched).

I suppose I'd do well to distract myself for awhile.  When I first joined these forums, I was OBSESSED, and I feel a smaller amount of that creeping back now.  I appreciate folks understanding where I'm coming from, it makes it a lot easier.  I could go into many more details for some background, but I dont wish to bore people.  Smiley Happy   

If anyone wants extra credit, I had been paying everything in full monthly, but now have about a 2k balance I could really put the 0% intro offer to use on.  But Ive been reading about that sweet 3x CLI and having to PIF monthly, so now I have another dilemma. Smiley Happy  This of course is assuming I get approved.  

Message 5 of 41
Marcos8
Established Contributor

I've always historically applied for things like new accounts and HP clis during business hours to try and either avoid delays or to have someone to call immediately to see what's up or move things along. SP clis I would do at my leisure. 

Message 6 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes Marcos8, that was the point of my lamentations/thread, that I had gotten so hyperfocused that I had temporarily blocked out the day and time.  I dont think I missed the closing bell on friday by too much.  Heck, I may have even been before it slightly.  But today, Sunday, I feel better knowing I have only a day left!  Smiley Happy  I hope this can be a reminder to others, and maybe even an encouragement to future folks who find themselves in a similar situation.  Ive also searched the board for the word "weekend" to see if I could find similar stories, and did read a couple.

UPDATE:  Whatever is holding things up, MYFICO at 6:52am today(Sunday) reported the inquiry on Experian.  To address the 2nd reply in this thread, my score for the first time in maybe 3 or 4 weeks changed, from 752, to 751, so that isnt the issue, as it was an online prequal anyhow. Smiley Wink  Im actually kind of happy about that 1 point drop, as it let me know exactly where the score was at, as from what Ive read on here it doesnt always show the change unless there is a big enough event to "trigger" a reported score change.  Apparently a 1 point move, at least in certain cases, is enough of a trigger?

Experian does seem to report things the fastest of the 3 bureaus in my experience, but I'm not sure I recall exactly how fast. Meaning, I'm not sure if the inquiriy was taken at the time of application(Friday, late afternoon/early evening) automatically and just took this time to show up, or if it possibly could have been taken later?   

Speaking of Experian's rather quick reporting, I have about a $2500 balance(up from about $130 on last statement) that is about to report, but the good new is that I just looked it up, and my statement is on the 21st, Wednesday.   

I'm not sure if anyone reading this is in "weekend limbo" or if theyve been there and would like to share, but if so, I give you full permission to hijack the thread and share your experience if youd like.  I look forward to sharing some good news on the resolution to this, hopefully by tomorrow afternoon.  I really am grateful for the support of you folks, even if my concerns may seem a bit silly to you.  

Message 7 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE: Well, here it is monday afternoon.... and the Amex status page(https://www262.americanexpress.com/eaol/statusCheckAction.do) still says "in progress".  I'm not a big phone person, but even if I was I'm awaiting a "phone appointment" that could come anytime in the next 3 hours, so I have a bit longer to wait before I could call.

Doesn't Amex usually call or email you about whatever they need that is holding things up, or do you think they are mailing me something if I dont call after that phone appointment Im waiting on?

Message 8 of 41
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

UPDATE: Well, here it is monday afternoon.... and the Amex status page(https://www262.americanexpress.com/eaol/statusCheckAction.do) still says "in progress".  I'm not a big phone person, but even if I was I'm awaiting a "phone appointment" that could come anytime in the next 3 hours, so I have a bit longer to wait before I could call.

Doesn't Amex usually call or email you about whatever they need that is holding things up, or do you think they are mailing me something if I dont call after that phone appointment Im waiting on?

My own personal experience with this (specifically with Amex) was that they just wanted to make sure it was me applying for the card, there was no "grilling" like some have reported from Chase and Barclays.  To be honest, I've never heard of Amex asking anything other than just really basic stuff like your address, phone number, etc. 

I suspect your 'pending' issue is because there's a post office box address listed on your credit reports, and IMO this isn't a bad thing... they'll likely just want to make sure everything is legit.

They will probably call you in a day or two (it took a couple of days for me; they do leave a message if you're unavailable) but if you want to speed things up just give them a call... they don't bite.  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My own personal experience with this (specifically with Amex) was that they just wanted to make sure it was me applying for the card, there was no "grilling" like some have reported from Chase and Barclays.  To be honest, I've never heard of Amex asking anything other than just really basic stuff like your address, phone number, etc. 

I suspect your 'pending' issue is because there's a post office box address listed on your credit reports, and IMO this isn't a bad thing... they'll likely just want to make sure everything is legit.

They will probably call you in a day or two (it took a couple of days for me; they do leave a message if you're unavailable) but if you want to speed things up just give them a call... they don't bite.  Smiley Wink

Thanks UncleB!  I havent been on here in awhile, but I remember you having a good number of helpful posts.  Heck, you may not have even been a mod back then, and you had a different avatar...speaking of which, great album, great tour!! 

I'm grateful you shared that information, because after I get the phone appointment Im awaiting done, I will give Amex a call, being you made it sound benign.  I never had an Amex before, and am very eager to be part of the "family"!!(sounds like I'm being initiated into the mafia or something...Slash playing the Godfather song on the setlist)

Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.