Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Spree..how to?.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

App Spree..how to?.

I recently applied with Amex and received the 14 day notice. I did pre-qualify on the official Amex website.

Once approved or denied, can I apply elsewhere the same day and have another chance getting approved somewhere else? I may just go for another secured card at that point.

I'd like to do it now and not apply for anything else until after Mach 2018. Everyone has even said on here that I need more than just one card to obviously build a decent report. I currently have 2-3 inquiries. I thought it'd be good to get another inquiry out of the way now rather than later.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: App Spree..how to?.

What are your current FICO 8 scores? That will make it easier to answer your questions. Opening a shared secured loan through a credit union will help strengthen your profile as well. 

I normally find something I can use that doesn't use the same Credit bureau when doing sprees.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure..didn't feel like paying for it. All I have are the free Creditwise, CreditKarma and Discover scorecard that had me go from 708 steadily up to 742. Other than keeping under 3% utilization there isn't anything else I can do anyway except get a 2nd or 3rd account going..

I will do that next though..either look into a loan or a card that is easy to get, usable and a different bureau is pulled.

Message 3 of 9
Gmood1
Super Contributor

It cost $1 from www.creditchecktotal.com . How long is your credit history. Some banks are more forgiving than others when it come to that.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. I can do $1 and cancel I guess within a week.

10+ years since charge offs. Noting since because I was younger and stupid. I want to build up a good year before attempting Discover so that's out. BOA isn't too forgiving. I never had a Chase but I read reviews from people who got in to get canceled for no apparent reason so they scare me. But yeah, still need to research cards and loans. Someone the other day said they had Cap1 secured and got approved for another Cap1 card after 6 months so I may try that.

Message 5 of 9
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

10+ years since charge offs. Noting since because I was younger and stupid. I want to build up a good year before attempting Discover so that's out. BOA isn't too forgiving. I never had a Chase but I read reviews from people who got in to get canceled for no apparent reason so they scare me. But yeah, still need to research cards and loans. Someone the other day said they had Cap1 secured and got approved for another Cap1 card after 6 months so I may try that.

Start with a $500 shared secured loan. Here's the mega thread on how to http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secure-technique/td-p/4506756 . This alone will boost your scores 30 to 40 points. 

Message 6 of 9
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

While I don't spree, well not intentionally, nor do I recommend then generally, I would sit down and write out some financial goals/plans before doing one. And take those goals and see what cards would help you achieve those goals/plans. It would appear that your scores are good enough to get in with Discover now, I don't know why you'd want to wait. They're very welcoming to rebuilders, and they do grow with you, unlike other lenders. Maybe come back once you have your goals/plans figured out, along with your FICO scores and then we can give you some better advice.  Good luck on whatever you decide.

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Start with a $500 shared secured loan. Here's the mega thread on how to http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secure-technique/td-p/4506756 . This alone will boost your scores 30 to 40 points. 

Thanks. Will try this.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gmood1 wrote:

It cost $1 from www.creditchecktotal.com . How long is your credit history. Some banks are more forgiving than others when it come to that.

+1000% Cmon its only $1 Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.