Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applied for US Bank Cash + Update: Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applied for US Bank Cash + Update: Approved

I received a 7-10 day notice in response to my submitting my application this morning.  I called the customer service number who said the response was that they weren't recommending approval.  I asked for reconsideration and was transferred to the underwriting department.  He said he would resubmit the application and to wait for a response in the mail or call back Tuesday or Wednesday.  I am thinking of calling on Monday.  Hopefully, I will speak with someone who can do the review in real time with me on the phone so I can explain my situation.  I do not want a denial.  This is stressful.

Mod note:  I've updated your subject to reflect your approval; feel free to change/edit if you would like.  --UB

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
heyryan
Frequent Contributor

Re: Applied for US Bank Cash +

wrote:

I received a 7-10 day notice in response to my submitting my application this morning.  I called the customer service number who said the response was that they weren't recommending approval.  I asked for reconsideration and was transferred to the underwriting department.  He said he would resubmit the application and to wait for a response in the mail or call back Tuesday or Wednesday.  I am thinking of calling on Monday.  Hopefully, I will speak with someone who can do the review in real time with me on the phone so I can explain my situation.  I do not want a denial.  This is stressful.

US Bank can be kind of conservative, and the scores in your signature are on the low end for approvals with them I think. What's keeping them down? Any recent lates, open COs, BK?

Personal:

Business:

(TU Split File - FIXED!)
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

wrote:

US Bank can be kind of conservative, and the scores in your signature are on the low end for approvals with them I think. What's keeping them down? Any recent lates, open COs, BK?

No recent installment loans, bk from 2012, and only 3 revolving credit accts. 

I started an installment loan this week with Navy Federal.  I added 4 credit cards over the past two weeks to increase my revolving credit.  This will be the last one. 

I now have:

Amex BCP for 6% cash back on groceries

NRA Visa for 5% cash back on gas

Discover IT for the 5% cash back on the other two categories

Alliant Platinum Rewards for 2% cash back on the everyday purchases that don't have a category

***US Bank Cash + will be for 5% cash back on utilities which will start in April of this year

The first four on this list haven't reported to any credit bureaus yet. 

The three cards on my report are:

Capital One Secured Platinum mastercard (from rebuilding a few years ago)(getting rid of it if they don't upgrade me)

America's First FCU Platinum Plus Visa for 1% cash back

Firestone Store Card

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I checked the US Bank credit card site again to see if i would get pre approved for the card now, after the fact.  It did pre-approve me.  Why would I get a pre-approval after I was told by a rep that they did not recommend approval?

Message 4 of 20
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Don't trust US Banks preapprovals. They are more marketing than anything else. Folks with a banking relationship seem to fair better when apping their cards.
Message 5 of 20
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

US bank uses FICO classic 4 for credit card apps. It’s sort of late now, but your scores could differ quite a bit from FICO 8.

I have no idea how FICO 4 scores BK, maybe that’s the issue. Different scoring models account for different things.
Also if your BK is still reporting, I’m not sure how US bank is with that.

They are a super conservative lender, banking products with a long history or a substantial amount of assets will help you greatly with them IMO.

For recon’s. You want underwriting.
Google backdoor numbers myFICO and get the underwriting number. Call and talk to them. Maybe see if they can do anything for you, but US bank is mainly all manual reviews.

US bank has two different preapprovals that happen. We recommend is not a good chance. That’s their standard marketing.

When it says congratulations your preapproved for .... and it has a fixed APR. those are what you want.

But the site doesn’t make it seem like the first one is any different then the second one

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:
US bank uses FICO classic 4 for credit card apps. It’s sort of late now, but your scores could differ quite a bit from FICO 8.

I have no idea how FICO 4 scores BK, maybe that’s the issue. Different scoring models account for different things.
Also if your BK is still reporting, I’m not sure how US bank is with that.

They are a super conservative lender, banking products with a long history or a substantial amount of assets will help you greatly with them IMO.

For recon’s. You want underwriting.
Google backdoor numbers myFICO and get the underwriting number. Call and talk to them. Maybe see if they can do anything for you, but US bank is mainly all manual reviews.

US bank has two different preapprovals that happen. We recommend is not a good chance. That’s their standard marketing.

When it says congratulations your preapproved for .... and it has a fixed APR. those are what you want.

But the site doesn’t make it seem like the first one is any different then the second one

My TU Fico 4 Score was 693 on 1/13.  Since my TU Fico 8 score has gone up 12 points from 660 to 672 as of today, I expect my TU Fico 4 score to be over 700 today.

US Bank has a policy of no credit card lending for 5 years post bk.  Since my bk was 2012, I am past the 5 year mark now.  That should not be an issue.  My fingers are crossed.

Message 7 of 20
OmarR
Established Contributor

To help you out with a DP, I just received my $3500 US Bank+ last week with a TU FICO4 of 770.

Currently waiting on UW for a CL increase.

EQ=850   EX=845   TU=843       0/24       UTIL=$1    AZEO

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

My TU Fico 4 Score was 693 on 1/13.  Since my TU Fico 8 score has gone up 12 points from 660 to 672 as of today, I expect my TU Fico 4 score to be over 700 today.

US Bank has a policy of no credit card lending for 5 years post bk.  Since my bk was 2012, I am past the 5 year mark now.  That should not be an issue.  My fingers are crossed.

Another DP for you, i got my cash + with a TU fico 8 of around 648, not sure what my fico 4 is or was but I'd still think it's definitely lower than yours (plus I have a couple medical collections, 3 on TU but one is under $100 so I don't think it's counted, I'm sure they can still see it though)

Have you tried the automated app status phone line at all? I wonder if the csr you spoke to maybe gave you the wrong information or something, especially with all the approvals I've seen lately with similar scores (granted most including mine were $500 toy limit borderline approvals, but approvals nonetheless). The automated line seems like the most straightforward way to confirm or deny what the csr said though (and maybe also to check up on the status of your recon), lemme know if you want the number (I'd have to track it down lol otherwise I would've just posted it for you now.. in fact maybe I'll just look now and update this)

Anyway good luck and let us know what happens, I hope they were just misinformed or at worst that your recon pans out Smiley Sad

Edit: here's the number: 800-947-1444 - pretty sure app status is option 1 (I totally forgot there's also an online page where you can check but I had a ridiculously hard time with it and atter dicking around with it for a good 30 minutes I gave up and just called the number lol)

Message 9 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

And another...I recently got mine with a 737.

I've had a couple checking accounts with them for about 5 years that I use very little and 2 toy limit Platinum cards that were regularly used for gas only and PIF each month.

Instant in branch approval with a very nice SL. I do think even with my minimal account utilization the relationship time helped with that.
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.