Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for CC with frozen credit

tag
slvrhwk
Regular Contributor

Apply for CC with frozen credit

Hi everyone. Like a lot of you, I froze my credit after the Equifax breach earlier this year. I'm currently interested in applying for the Citi Double Cash. I've read that Citi uses Experian and sometimes Equifax for pulling the reports. I was able to unfreeze my Equifax report for free. But temporarily unfreezing the Experian report costs me $10, and then refreezeing again will cost me another $10. I don't want to spend $20 ($22 incl. tax) for this.

I called the Citi application number, but phone applications are currently unavailable due to technical issues. I don't want to apply online and then see my application rejected. What are my options? I have a trip coming up in 2 weeks and would like to get this card before I leave. Please help. Thanks!

Current Score TU: 787, EX: N/A, EQ: N/A
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apply for CC with frozen credit

Your options are to either spend the $20 or take a chance and hope they pull EQ.
Message 2 of 12
slvrhwk
Regular Contributor

What if I apply online and get rejected or get some review message? Can I call the backdoor numbers at that point and explain them my situation?

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you were denied because they couldn't pull your EX, they're not going to change their practice simply because you want to save $20. BTW discussing freezing or locking CRAs to manipulate creditor's inquiry practices is not allowed on this forum.
Message 4 of 12
slvrhwk
Regular Contributor

My question wasn't about manipulating creditor's inquiry. I don't mind unfreezing my credit for the application, I already did that for Experian. I just feel paying $22 is probably not worth it, especially in this case where there's no bonus associated with the card.

I should have been more clear with my previous reply. I meant if I get rejected, can I call the backdoor numbers, give them my PIN for the credit freeze and have them look at my report to make a decision?

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I suppose that could be an option but I have never recon with Citi so others that have will have to chime in.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would spend $22 and a HP for any decent card. Just sayin....

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW - If you put a fraud alert on the CRAs, it costs you nothing. Granted it only lasts 90 days before you have to reup, but it's better than putting more money in the pocket of the CRAs.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi pulled EX when I asked for an additional CLI after getting a soft pull CLI on my first Citi card.  They pulled EX and EQ when I applied for Citi AAdvantage.  You will likely be pulled on 2 CRAs for a new app.  If you want to expedite review/approval, then remove the freeze. As for getting the card in 2 weeks, I'm not certain how quickly they print/cut/ship their main line offerings.  My Citi AA was sent FEDEX, but I think that's the exception - only for that line of cards.

Message 9 of 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Ok familiar with this..  Applied for ciit was denied was curious why then found out they wanted me EQ report in addition to the HP they hit me with on Exp already so I unfrooze it and they approved me.  If denied call up and ask why and if they say Exp is froozen then unfreeze it at that time and no harm/no foul with citi.  Now if you were to try this with Cap1 you would lose a pull or two and be SOL.   Anyways so long story short if they need experian as well you can unfreeze it then they will try to repull.  Hope this helps.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.