Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply or garden?

tag
SFernandez13461
Frequent Contributor

Apply or garden?

I just refinanced my Prosper loan with my CU, and I had planned to return to the garden, but I received a CC offer with a very attractive balance transfer option through my union (5.99% for life), applied and was denied. I've been looking for a good balance transfer option to terminate the financing on some professional equipment that will end up costing nearly twice as much over the next four years. I'm planning to call the backdoor number next week to see if I can turn that around somehow.

At any rate, the experience gave me an itchy trigger finger, and I followed that up with two more CC applications (Chase Freedom and Discover It). Probably not a wise choice, I realize. But I was approved for the Discover It for 5500, and my Chase application is "under review." Assuming that's denied, I'll try to get them to reconsider as well.

Anyway, I've read a lot of conflicting information about how much inquiries impact your scores and for how long and whether or not grouping them closer is beneficial, detrimental, or irrlevant, and I'm wondering whether or not there's a balance transfer card I should try for, or I should just head back to the garden.

Also, I do have a reasonable amount of open credit (16k altogether), but if I use any of my existing accounts for this balance transfer, I'll have to basically max it out, which I'd really like to avoid.

FYI, my utilization is currently at 1%, all payments are on time, and my EX score was 696 as of 1/2, and CK and CreditWise indicate it's at 727, which I guess is a FAKO.

Any suggestions? Thanks Smiley Happy

EX 695, EQ 703, TU 681 (1/17)
14 REPLIES 14
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Apply or garden?

First off, what are your FICO8 scores, not Fako from CK?
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 2 of 15
SFernandez13461
Frequent Contributor

The only legitimate score I have is the one the CU gave me earlier this month, which was 696 on Experian. 

Message 3 of 15
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Go to www.creditchecktotal.com spend a $1 and pull your FICO 8 scores and reports. This way you'll know exactly where you stand.

Message 4 of 15
SFernandez13461
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion. It shows the FICO 8 Score at 695 (EX), 681 (TU), and 703 (EQ).

I was also surprised to find while I only have two inquiries on EQ and TU, I have eight on EX, including all but one creditor on my recent app spree, which probably impacted the results. Half are from early last year and half are from the CU loan and yesterday's shenanigans. 

Message 5 of 15
Gmood1
Super Contributor

If your EQ is fairly clean. No lates in the last 24 months. Penfed would be a good CU to join and app for a card. The pull on EQ is normally good for 90 days. You can use it for as many of their products as you like. Their cards offer decent BT offers.

Citi has terrific BT offers. Only issue, the starting limits are normally not world shattering. 

Check your reports and see where the last couple of pulls landed. Has your refinance reported yet?

Message 6 of 15
SFernandez13461
Frequent Contributor

Everything hit Experian, and my new loan isn't reporting yet, and my old loan still shows the balance. 

Message 7 of 15
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Ah yeah..your wide open on TU and EQ? 😀

Penfed is a EQ puller. 

Navy Federal is another option. If not related or involved with the military. It takes more work to get in than Penfed.

USAA is another EQ puller.

As well as Alliant FCU.

Penfed would be my recommendation. They do recons and give nice limits on cards!

Message 8 of 15
SFernandez13461
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think I'm eligible for NF, but I used to be a member of USAA  long ago. I'm checking out PenFed right now. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 15
Gmood1
Super Contributor

They pull EQ for membership. Anyone can join through donation. There's a back door way in Navy. It's also posted elsewhere in the forum. I'd call and join Penfed tomorrow. Then nudge them for a card immediately. Refinance a vehicle as well if applicable.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.