Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approval patterns for Amex, Chase, and Citi

tag
Berk
Established Contributor

Approval patterns for Amex, Chase, and Citi

Thought this an interesting blog post - the writer's experience when apping for cards at these banks:

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/07/06/bank-credit-card-application-rules/

The one caveat he mentions is that this is for people with very good to excellent credit.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

Re: Approval patterns for Amex, Chase, and Citi

Didn't know of the AmEx 90 rule thing. Good thing I didn't apply for another Amex Credit card, idve been denied. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The 90 day rule with Amex is not true. I was approved for the BCE and then the ED 30 days later. They approved the ED with a soft pull.
My wife was approved for both on the same day.
Message 3 of 5
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The 90 day rule with Amex is not true. I was approved for the BCE and then the ED 30 days later. They approved the ED with a soft pull.
My wife was approved for both on the same day.

It said more than 2 so a 3rd wouldn't be approved. Compared to the article anyway.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not sure where they sourced their information from, but I had a totally different experience with apping for AMEX. Recently in May 2017, I apped for 2 charge cards and 2 credit cards ( BCE and Amex Everday); all with in one week.

Yes, Amex does treat charge cards and credit cards differently, but you can apply for more than 1 credit card with a 90 day span. Its when apping for 3 or more, is where the hold up is, which you would have to wait until your 90 days after your last credit card approval. I am doing that in order to apply for the Hilton No AF card.

As far as charge cards, this is different, as there isn't a limit to how many you can apply and be approved for, whether its buiness or personal cards. I was approved for the Platinum and Gold card, they only other option being the Green card or Premier Rewards, but why apply for those if you generally dont have a need.

PS. I have **bleep** credit. I posted a few months ago about my Amex approval with low credit scores. I was approved for a 640 Experian score, My Equifax and Transunion, were much lower.

I am confuesd as to why I was approved for 4 cards in a span of a week with 35+ inquires, 5 collections, 1 reposession and 6 Charge offs all from 2012. I was informed that Amex has their own internal scoring system that doesn't really match other lenders.  I starting limits on the CC where $1000 each. Although there isn'ta  preset spedning limit on the charge cards, my limit was about $3000, which has increased due to use.

I was hesitant about applying, but when I prequalified for the BCE and Amex ED, I bit the bullet and applied. Prior I was ALWAYS denied credit and never could get anything to show on the prequal, so I was shocked when it did that day.

Good luck to anyone who applies and applies with mulitple apps.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.