Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Discover IT!

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Approved for Discover IT!

@Lkb273 wrote:

Was approved for a $1,200 limit yesterday and I'm ELATED!  I had a TU of 670 and a CK of 639 at the time.  Had 6 inquiries (5 from buying a car last summer, and 1 from Comcast from when I moved in Dec).  I applied with BTs, so maybe that helped. Have been trying to clean up my credit for the past few years, and just recently I've been in TURBO cleaning mode Smiley Happy.  Still have high util of 100%, because Express dropped my limit to $550 from $2300 when I was carrying a balance of $1800, because of 1 late payment (less than 30 days!)!  Argh!!  Got it paid down to $800, though, but still showing as high util.  Discover IT, with its low BT rate will help me clean up my credit even faster Smiley Happy Smiley Happy!  The Express card is the first item I transferred! 

Credit Karma advised AGAINST applying for this card.  I thought I was going to receive a big fat DENIAL, so I had my boyfriend prepped to be a joint applicant should Discover come back with a denial and offer the option of a joint applicant.  I had been gunshy for apping because of all the denials in past years - I had a federal tax lien placed on my credit in 2004 for $8K (I was only 18!) - long family drama story - which I pad off in 2009, so I think that was the source of all my past denials.  Its still showing up, but its showing as paid. 

I figured that since Wells Fargo approved my car loan last summer, and with my focus on paying down my cards, I might have a chance...I was blown away to see the approval! Smiley Very Happy  Online app was quick and easy...didn't approve me right away, sent me to another screen to ask about income and such, and after that I was approved online...no phone calls or anything!

Smiley Very Happy Thanks for giving me a boost Discover!  Now I can get my balances under control, watch my score go up, save on interest, and enjoy peace of mind!  So exciting!

I also want to mention that I applied for the Chase Slate card immediately after, and received the 7-10 decision jargon.  I did NOT apply with BTs, like I did with Discover, but I planned to initiate BTs upon approval.  I called the backdoor number for Chase and was told that I am going to be denied based on my util.  I told them that I had just made large payments on all my cards, and they said to call back in 30 days when those changes post to my credit report.  I totally forgot to tell them that I intend to do balance transfers!  I'm going to call again today and tell them all my intentions, and see what happens.  Wish me luck!

Congrats on your approval! 

Regarding your paid Federal tax lien, you can submit a form to the IRS to have the lien withdrawn. Once they withdraw the lien, you can send the information to all 3 CB and they will remove the lien fom your reports. I learned about that on this forum and it worked for me. The whole process took less than 40 days. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Will-I-qualify-for-Delta-Gold-Card/m-p/1606174#M442444

Message 11 of 20
Lkb273
Established Member

@09Lexie wrote:

@Lkb273 wrote:

Was approved for a $1,200 limit yesterday and I'm ELATED!  I had a TU of 670 and a CK of 639 at the time.  Had 6 inquiries (5 from buying a car last summer, and 1 from Comcast from when I moved in Dec).  I applied with BTs, so maybe that helped. Have been trying to clean up my credit for the past few years, and just recently I've been in TURBO cleaning mode Smiley Happy.  Still have high util of 100%, because Express dropped my limit to $550 from $2300 when I was carrying a balance of $1800, because of 1 late payment (less than 30 days!)!  Argh!!  Got it paid down to $800, though, but still showing as high util.  Discover IT, with its low BT rate will help me clean up my credit even faster Smiley Happy Smiley Happy!  The Express card is the first item I transferred! 

Credit Karma advised AGAINST applying for this card.  I thought I was going to receive a big fat DENIAL, so I had my boyfriend prepped to be a joint applicant should Discover come back with a denial and offer the option of a joint applicant.  I had been gunshy for apping because of all the denials in past years - I had a federal tax lien placed on my credit in 2004 for $8K (I was only 18!) - long family drama story - which I pad off in 2009, so I think that was the source of all my past denials.  Its still showing up, but its showing as paid. 

I figured that since Wells Fargo approved my car loan last summer, and with my focus on paying down my cards, I might have a chance...I was blown away to see the approval! Smiley Very Happy  Online app was quick and easy...didn't approve me right away, sent me to another screen to ask about income and such, and after that I was approved online...no phone calls or anything!

Smiley Very Happy Thanks for giving me a boost Discover!  Now I can get my balances under control, watch my score go up, save on interest, and enjoy peace of mind!  So exciting!

I also want to mention that I applied for the Chase Slate card immediately after, and received the 7-10 decision jargon.  I did NOT apply with BTs, like I did with Discover, but I planned to initiate BTs upon approval.  I called the backdoor number for Chase and was told that I am going to be denied based on my util.  I told them that I had just made large payments on all my cards, and they said to call back in 30 days when those changes post to my credit report.  I totally forgot to tell them that I intend to do balance transfers!  I'm going to call again today and tell them all my intentions, and see what happens.  Wish me luck!

Regarding your paid Federal tax lien, you can submit a form to the IRS to have the lien withdrawn. Once they withdraw the lien, you can send the information to all 3 CB and they will remove the lien fom your reports. I learned about that on this forum and it worked for me. The whole process took less than 40 days. 

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Will-I-qualify-for-Delta-Gold-Card/m-p/1606174#M442444

Oh My God.  THANK YOU!!!  Filing the IRS forms right now!!!!  Godsend!

Wallet: AMEX EveryDay $1,000 | AMEX Blue Cash $13,800 | Macy's AMEX $6,500 | BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards $18,000 | Citi Double Cash $14,200 | Citi Simplicity $8,000 | Citi Diamond Preferred $5,100 | Discover IT $3,500 | Capital One Quicksilver $3,000 | Chase Freedom $10,000 | Chase Slate $10,000 | Chase Amazon $2,000 | Chase United $10,000 | Express Store Card $2,290 Overstock.com Store Card $5,800 | The Limited Store Card $1,000 | Ann Taylor Store Card $1000 | Crate & Barrel Store Card $10,000 | West Elm Store Card $3,000 | Z Gallerie Store Card $8,000
Message 12 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Lkb273 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@Lkb273 wrote:

You are welcome! I had 3 filed ( they like filing them in every state you own property Smiley Sad) all for the same amount.  Even though they were paid/released it was an eyesore on my CR. Thank God for this forum!

Message 13 of 20
BrokaToe
Established Contributor

Congrats on the Discover! I love mine like a son, lol soooooooo many benefits!

border="0" align="left" width="450" height="90">
Message 14 of 20
2011beginnings
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations. Hopefully you get the Slate too
PenFed AMEX: $5500 | AMEX BCE: $8300 | AMEX E: $5000 | BofA BBR: $5000 | Discover It: $6500 | CSP: $11500 | CF: $5500 | Citi DIVIDEND: $5700 | CITI TYP: $4600 | BofA CR: $7500 | CAP ONE Q: $3000 |

TU: 722 / EX: 763 / EQ: 735
Message 15 of 20
Lkb273
Established Member

Thank you everyone for the congrats!!!  Smiley Very Happy  I tried to recon the Chase Slate again today, explained I'd like to get my balances transferred and pay my cards off, but was still told my util was too high on my other cards.  Do you think I could call and ask to be considered for the Freedom card instead?  Based on Credit Karma, it looks like that card is easier to get.  Would this result in another HP?  Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!!!

Wallet: AMEX EveryDay $1,000 | AMEX Blue Cash $13,800 | Macy's AMEX $6,500 | BankAmericard Better Balance Rewards $18,000 | Citi Double Cash $14,200 | Citi Simplicity $8,000 | Citi Diamond Preferred $5,100 | Discover IT $3,500 | Capital One Quicksilver $3,000 | Chase Freedom $10,000 | Chase Slate $10,000 | Chase Amazon $2,000 | Chase United $10,000 | Express Store Card $2,290 Overstock.com Store Card $5,800 | The Limited Store Card $1,000 | Ann Taylor Store Card $1000 | Crate & Barrel Store Card $10,000 | West Elm Store Card $3,000 | Z Gallerie Store Card $8,000
Message 16 of 20
Lkb273
Established Member

@09Lexie wrote:

@Lkb273 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@Lkb273 wrote:

You are welcome! I had 3 filed ( they like filing them in every state you own property Smiley Sad) all for the same amount.  Even though they were paid/released it was an eyesore on my CR. Thank God for this forum!

Wow, I thought 1 sucked...3 must have been a nightmare!  I am so happy for you that you got them removed!  Gives me much hope Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 20
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Lkb273 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@Lkb273 wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@Lkb273 wrote:

Wow, I thought 1 sucked...3 must have been a nightmare!  I am so happy for you that you got them removed!  Gives me much hope Smiley Happy

Thanks again.  Didn't seem to matter that is was the same lien- just placed in each state. So happy to have found the information to get it removed. It was the best contact I have had with the IRS in years!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Fingers crossed for you on the Chase recon!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 19 of 20
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@Lkb273 wrote:

Congrats! I got approved today as well. Can't wait to get it.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.