cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Inquiries hurt credit card application?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto Inquiries hurt credit card application?

I was wondering if multiple auto inquiries (due to car shopping) hurts my chances for applying for credit cards. I'm asking because I just had an additional 5 auto inquiries (on top of already having 6 inquiries 2 out of the 6 were auto inquiries when I was purchasing my first car) on my credit report and my credit karma & credit wise (from cap1) says my credit dropped significantly but when I posted in another forum regarding the inquiries they said auto inquiries dont actually hurt your score that much. I'm asking because I was planning to ask for a credit increase on my chase slate sometime next month after my zeroed out account posts and I'm planning to apply for more cards in December when 5 of my original inquiries will drop. I want to know if it is even worth applying or asking for an increase if my inquiries will hurt my chances.

4 REPLIES 4
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

Re: Auto Inquiries hurt credit card application?

Auto inquires are suppose to count as just one, even if they all show on CR, assuming they were all within a certain time, 30 days I believe.. Maybe more not sure..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

They factor as 1 toward the FICO score if done in a certain amount of days.

However, each lender when they pull your credit can see each individual inquiry and it's up to them whether they care about it or not.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mitchblue wrote:

Auto inquires are suppose to count as just one, even if they all show on CR, assuming they were all within a certain time, 30 days I believe.. Maybe more not sure..

Oh ok. Well they were all done on the same day so hopefully I shouldnt have to worry too much. 

Message 4 of 5
MrsCHX
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
They factor as 1 toward the FICO score if done in a certain amount of days.

However, each lender when they pull your credit can see each individual inquiry and it's up to them whether they care about it or not.

This.

Yes, they count as 1 for FICO scoring purposes. Lenders still see ALL of them as separate inquiries.

NFCU: $25,000; PenFed Power Cash Rewards: $3,500; PenFed Gold: $2,500; Capital One: $2,300; Nordstrom Visa: $2,000; Credit One: $1,250
Amazon: 800; Kohls: $1,500
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.