Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AvantCard?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

AvantCard?

So CreditKarma recommended the AvantCard to me. Seemed competitive considering the contents of my wallet. I app'd and got this page that said "Congratulations! You are just a few steps away from receiving your AvantCard."

I was approved for $1,000 SL @ 22.24% APR with a $29 annual fee (far superior to FNCC/Legacy, CreditOne, and other subprimes in my.. "portfolio") so I was super excited! Then it continued to say "In order to issue you a card, we first need you to confirm your email address."

I click "Send Confirmation Email and Continue" and I'm taken to their customer portal. It's pretty much an empty website with a "Questions" section (super basic knowledge base) and a page that shows my application which has been "In Review" for over a day now.

I've called them twice and they just keep saying that it takes time because they need to verify all the details of my application. I've argued the point that I've never had a credit app take over a day to process -- they're typically an instant decision or a decision made over the course of a phone call with the creditor.. Their (annoyingly consistent) answer is that [they] "take time to manually review each and every application and verify all aspects including credit history, current debt, income, and other factors." The more I persist in asking for more information about my application, the more annoyed they seem to get and they just keep repeating that same answer.

Am I being scammed? Is this even a real thing? What's going on here?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: AvantCard?

Wow.  

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

Wow.  

Now I'm really nervous. "Wow."?

Message 3 of 18
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I think the wow was in regards to you actively seeking too much credit. You need to SLOW your roll.

I hate to be mean. But no-one needs to seek this much credit during a rebuild unless you plan on just charging off all these accounts. At this point you are just hampering your chances of a good rebuild.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not sure why you'd say that. I just took on an Amex and Chase FU, each with a whopping $1k SL. Figured the AvantCard was worth a shot, and when I saw an extra $1k SL, I was thrilled. This puts me at 4.5% utilization with just shy of $19k in total credit lines and an AAoA of 3 years.

Message 5 of 18
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Considering I’ve seen the multiple threads you’ve made and read about you getting atleast 6 denials. All within the past 48 hours I assume.
I also counted atleast 6 store cards approvals in 2017.

That’s a lot of accounts for someone with low scores. Credit karma scores don’t matter. That’s 657 isn’t a FICO score.

Getting denied for secured cards with lenders that let you get back in after 5 years post BK. They are clearly seeing something in your reports they don’t like. You also listed severa collections totaling about 8 I think. That’s a lot of risk to lenders and they are clearly not wanting to extend credit.
But you don’t seem to get that, or the advice from several other members saying the same thing.

You will keep getting denials unless you chill out and garden. Prove to those who gave you accounts. You can manage them responsibly. Your scores will improve and you will get the cards you want. But actively seeking so much credit in such a short period of time is doing nothing but hurting your chances of a good rebuild and a good credit report.

Message 6 of 18
imaximous
Valued Contributor

I haven't heard of this credit card before, but my gut tells me to stay away from it. If you already have an AmEx and Chase product, I think you should stop applying for any cards that resemble "rebuilder card" and ask for an annual fee. Grow the cards you got and you won't have to ever think about applying for starter cards or any predatory lending banks.
1k may sound like nothing, but with patience and good habits, you should be able to get CLIs several times your SL.
How long have you had Amex and Chase?
Message 7 of 18
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

OP has had the chase and Amex for about maybe a day based on the other posts he’s made.

Along with 4 other denials from Amex directly after. And two denials from BoA

Message 8 of 18
imaximous
Valued Contributor

@Shadowfactorwrote:
OP has had the chase and Amex for about maybe a day based on the other posts he’s made.

oh Smiley Surprised

I obviously missed all that before posting. 

OP, I can understand the frustration of not being able to get what you want (been there), but you really need to slow down and allow your TLs to work in your favor, not against you. 

Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shadowfactorwrote:

I actually found out the reason for the BoA denial -- part of the stipulations of the offer are that your accounts are in good standing. I've been a BoA customer for.. geez.. 13 years now.. But as a veteran, I get free banking with Chase and have access to great features, so I've just kept my BoA account open for posterity and because some of my clients bank with BoA so it makes it easier to receive payments. I pay myself via direct deposit out of my s-corp and route $350/mo to BoA to keep my account there free and just transfer it out to my Chase via Zelle.. however, last month I ran my payroll a bit early, so I landed two DDs in Feb, and of course BoA being the jerks they are, billed me for my account for March since they didn't see a DD in March.. That put my account negative literally the day before I did this app, and I wasn't aware of it until the rep told me.. So he says my app is on file, and I need to get some time in between me and any "negative account activity".. I'm like.. seriously dude? It's YOUR fee because YOUR system won't acknowledge my direct deposit because it occurred a day early. Anyway, I digress..

What really frustrates me is that I called regular BoA banking customer service and they were happy to acknowledge their mistake and waive the monthly fee. Go figure. I've NEVER overdrafted my account by way of charges I've placed even once in 13 years.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.