cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer... Slate, Citi Simplicity/DC or any other?

tag
askme3012
New Contributor

Balance transfer... Slate, Citi Simplicity/DC or any other?

Hi All,

Need your advise with credit card applications. Here is my current situation:

-- Currently all 3 Credit scores are 770+ .

-- I have opened a new mortgage which will report around 15th February. Need to get a credit card before that. Utilization only 3% with DTI 5% before the mortgage payment.

-- Primary purpose of this card is Balance transfer . If the card is good, can also use it as primary card.

-- In last year, Only 1 enquiry on TU and EX and 2 on EQ  including 1 from Verizon. 

-- I considered Wells Fargo as I bank with them. My application was pending approval for $10K but they rejected it saying that my SSN is with DHS work authorization only. I have not had a rejection for that reason till date. They thankfully removed the enquiry from my report.

-- I was considering Chase slate but I already have Chase Freedom and CSP. Not sure whether Chase will be OK to issue me 3rd card. 

-- Need a card with higher limit. I always get Citi pre-approvals for Citi DC and Citi Simiplicity but I fear they start with low limits. 

I request you all to suggest a good card which will suit my needs. 

Thanks in advance.

US Bank Cash+ $18.9K || Discover IT $29.3K || Barclays Arrival $6K || AMEX BCE $50K || Chase Freedom $7K || First Tech CU $12K ||First Tech CU $25K || CSP $25K || BofA Cash Rewards $12K || Citi TYP $12K || IHG Rewards $15K
Starting Score: All CRAs : Started from scratch
Current Score: TU 821 , EQ 816 (Credit Karma) EX FICO 798
Goal Score: All CRAs : 800+

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Balance transfer... Which Card to apply?

Are you getting anyBT offers on any other cards?  You could just transfer the balance to your CU card then transfer it back. I would also assumer your discover card has BT offers, as well as BOA.

Message 2 of 9
askme3012
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Are you getting anyBT offers on any other cards?  You could just transfer the balance to your CU card then transfer it back. I would also assumer your discover card has BT offers, as well as BOA.

Thank you for this suggestion. I checked with Discover and it does have BT offers. I will consider this as an option. But which will be the best card to apply for me currently? I am considering getting one more card as I will be gardening after this for a long time. 

US Bank Cash+ $18.9K || Discover IT $29.3K || Barclays Arrival $6K || AMEX BCE $50K || Chase Freedom $7K || First Tech CU $12K ||First Tech CU $25K || CSP $25K || BofA Cash Rewards $12K || Citi TYP $12K || IHG Rewards $15K

Message 3 of 9
askme3012
New Contributor

To add a bit on credit history.. no late payments, no BKs, low util thorughout..

I was wondering if it was ok to get Chase slate? Will getting 3rd card from Chase be difficult? What are your experiences?

In addition, how is your experience with Capital One? I have heard they triple pull.. is that true?

Any other good card options for me? Would appreciate any and all suggestions. Thank you again.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Third card with Chase is not out of question at all. If they don't instantly approve you, call the recon line from the Backdoor numbers thread. If they aren't able to extend more credit due to existing exposure with them, you can always move credit from existing lines to open the new line.

Slate is the best balance transfer card out there that I know. I recently applied for it and used it for BT. It is awesome 0% APR + no BT fee for 60 days from account open.

HTH.

Message 5 of 9
askme3012
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Third card with Chase is not out of question at all. If they don't instantly approve you, call the recon line from the Backdoor numbers thread. If they aren't able to extend more credit due to existing exposure with them, you can always move credit from existing lines to open the new line.

Slate is the best balance transfer card out there that I know. I recently applied for it and used it for BT. It is awesome 0% APR + no BT fee for 60 days from account open.

HTH.

Thank you for that reply. I will definitely keep Chase Slate as an option. Currently I see Chase slate or Discover BT as my 2 options.

Are there any othet good cards possibly rewards programs I am missing currently? Looking for 1 great card to complete my portfolio and garden for a long long time. 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@askme3012 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

HTH.

Thank you for that reply. I will definitely keep Chase Slate as an option. Currently I see Chase slate or Discover BT as my 2 options.

Are there any othet good cards possibly rewards programs I am missing currently? Looking for 1 great card to complete my portfolio and garden for a long long time. 

it sounds like you have the itch to app.  Have you checked out themanwhocan's cash back charts in my signature?  They are pretty detailed and can give u an idea of any possible missing categories.

Now if it were me i would NOT go to capital one it is not worth the triple pull.  U should take a HP cli with BOA, ask for 20-25k, if the computer doesnt qutie get u to that, then call in to an analyst from the backdoor numbers thread here.

U really have what u need to do a debt shuffle there is no need to get an extra card.  So I would see what interest rate ur CU card has. If it is below 9% then u have a low rate card and really dont need another.  But u could go for something with a sign on bonus.  Do you fly? If so how many times a year?

Message 7 of 9
askme3012
New Contributor

Thank you for your inputs. I went ahead and got Discover BT and also got Citi TYP with 0%  to be safe (Posted in Credit Card Approvals) . Thanks again!

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@askme3012 wrote:

Thank you for your inputs. I went ahead and got Discover BT and also got Citi TYP with 0%  to be safe (Posted in Credit Card Approvals) . Thanks again!

Congrats!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.