tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Bank of America Credit Card

Strogen wrote:

HiLine wrote:

Strogen wrote:

geohawkins wrote:

It's also really damaging my credit score because since i'm always maxing it out, my utilization either posts at 0% or 90%+, usually the latter unfortunately.

Dude, like I said. Ask for an increase. If the spend is there and what you say is true I dont see why they woudlnt give you at least something. 

We cant tell waht BoA will or wont do, you need to ask them yourself. Namly by asking for an increase. 

Now go to BoA website, log in and ask for an increase then report back. lol

You said: Ask for an increase if xyz. Well, xyz isn't met. Smiley Wink

He said he put plenty of spend through the card. thats all that matters. I have had BoA give me increases less than a month apart. 

Nothing is immpossible with BoA it seems. 

That's right. No lender is more generous than Bank of America about credit limit increases. But they also pull hard inquiries. Unless you aren't concerned about hard inquiries, I would take it a bit more slowly. 

On top of that, my pre-payment solution should resolve the original poster's concern. 

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for insight guys.

I thought i would ask for a CLI and if I didn't get one I'd do what HiLine suggested and just push extra funds onto the card for 3-6 months.

I used the CLI button online and got the 7-10 days message, of course.

Last time I called the backdoor number so there was no waiting. I assume the 7-10 days message means no?

Thanks guys.

Message 12 of 20
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for insight guys.

I thought i would ask for a CLI and if I didn't get one I'd do what HiLine suggested and just push extra funds onto the card for 3-6 months.

I used the CLI button online and got the 7-10 days message, of course.

Last time I called the backdoor number so there was no waiting. I assume the 7-10 days message means no?

Thanks guys.

Like I said before, I got that message when I asked for a CLI last week. Afew hours later my limit was at 10K. 

So someone will go over it, I presume Monday-Friday. Just keep an eye on your limit. Good luck. 

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 13 of 20
HiLine
Blogger

I would actually bet in favor of an approval. Good luck! 

Message 14 of 20
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Strogen wrote:

He said he put plenty of spend through the card. thats all that matters. I have had BoA give me increases less than a month apart. 

I spent several hours yesterday asking - demanding - begging BoA to close my Cash Rewards Visa account on chat and email - they flat out refused, so yeah closing an account with BoA is "impossible" for me (I might post this experience, but I'm not going to hijack this tread to do it)

Message 15 of 20
Strogen
Frequent Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

@Strogen wrote:

I spent several hours yesterday asking - demanding - begging BoA to close my Cash Rewards Visa account on chat and email - they flat out refused, so yeah closing an account with BoA is "impossible" for me (I might post this experience, but I'm not going to hijack this tread to do it)

And why didnt you call in about that? Seems the normal thing to do. 

807 TU FICO Score 8.
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the responses.

So despite the fact that i've paid in full and maxed the balance at least twice a month since I had the card, they still wouldn't allow another increase?

Seems like an odd business practice, I clearly know how to manage my credit!

You only have four months of history. From the underwriter's point of view, that is not enough to definitively demonstrate that you know how to manage credit.

Message 17 of 20
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

Good luck on the cli request OP. But regardless of how great BofA is when it comes to cli requests, there is a reason why banks say "call us back in 6 months and we can see what we can do." Your 1st credit card was approved about 4 months ago...you have a very thin credit file. Always remember that where your credit profile and lenders are concerned, its all about the waiting game and showing lenders you can handle your credit card. 3-4 months of use is usually not enough time for lenders to gauge you. 

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

GeoHawkins i would wait atleast 6 months remember it will always be a HP. in the meantime why dont you try lowering the APR. it took me 3 mins when i called on friday. went from 18.9 to 15 if i recall

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all, 

I have a Bank of America cash rewards credit card that I opened as a student in October 2014. (First credit card)

The inital credit limit was $700, but after two months I called the backdoor line and had it raised to $1500. I asked for $3000 but they said that I had limited credit history so that was all they could do.

I have about $6000 in student loans, and a capital one quicksilver on credit steps with a $300 limit.

I have never been late for a single payment, in fact i always pay early, which is why i'm asking this question.

Is it too soon to ask BOA for another CLI? I have spent at least $6000 on the card in the last two months. 

I just wonder if BOA would recognize that I need a higher limit due to the spend on the account, I cant hold a balance for more than 10 days and it's very frustrating.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TravellingNomad wrote:

Good luck on the cli request OP. But regardless of how great BofA is when it comes to cli requests, there is a reason why banks say "call us back in 6 months and we can see what we can do." Your 1st credit card was approved about 4 months ago...you have a very thin credit file. Always remember that where your credit profile and lenders are concerned, its all about the waiting game and showing lenders you can handle your credit card. 3-4 months of use is usually not enough time for lenders to gauge you. 

+1 This is good insight. 

Telling the OP to "just push the luv button isn't as good advice.  He has a very thin file.  And from everything that I've read with BoA (and my personal experience) they are not Capital One/American Express and throw cards and money at you.  I think one persons' experience is not enough to say, "buy! buy! buy!"   

As responsible individuals on this forum and influencing others with our recommendations, I think we should take better care in our choices.  The OP is gonna incur a HP when he/she really isn't at a point that they should be doing so.  

One idea that came to mind is why not have the OP app for a card that may offer a larger limit?  Is he eligible for a NFCU card?  But again, OP's file is thin.  

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.