cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America and credit counseling. Do they ever forget?

tag
syeb
Regular Contributor

Bank of America and credit counseling. Do they ever forget?

I am looking at applying for the Bank of America Premium Rewards card. It does show up in the "more customized offers for you" section in their prequal page. 

I have zero baddies at all on my credit reports. My AAOA is >5 years., UTIL is <10%, and FICOs are  EQ 844, TU 833, EX 800. I have a good credit mix - credit cards, mortgage, car lease. I never had writeoffs or BK or anything like that. 

So theoretically I have as close to a perfect profile for this card as they can possibly expect. 

However this is my concern - From 2013-2015 I was enrolled in a consumer credit counseling program, with Bank of America as one of the creditors. There was no balance adjustment, minimum payment decreases, or anything affecting the principal balances. The only thing that was adjusted for the program was interest rates. I fully paid all credit cards by January 2015 and exited the program. No amounts were written off and there was never a late payment throughout.

Last year I applied for the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature (my profile and scores were about the same back then). I was denied because "you were enrolled in a credit counseling program" or something like that - I don't recall the exact language.  Alaska card is issued by BofA. Is it possible BofA just never forgets and I will never be approved for a card? 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
DaJagman
Regular Contributor

Re: Bank of America and credit counseling. Do they ever forget?

I was enrolled in credit counseling from 2009-2013 with $95k in credit card debt including $15k with Bank of America.  Once I finished with credit counseling and my scores had increased it took about a year to get an approval with BofA.  When I applied I got declined and waited for the letter explaining their decision and got the number from this forum and called in to recon.  Twenty minutes later I had an approval for BofA Travel Rewards Visa with $5k SL.  I recommend calling in and speaking to them. RECON RECON RECON!!!!! 

FICOs: EX: 840, EQ: 850, TU: 841
Bank of America Cash Rewards 50k
Diners Club Premier 40k
Chase Sapphire Reserve 50k
American Express Platinum NPSL
Discover it 47K
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.