Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America confusion

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America confusion

I applied for the Bank of America secured card a week or two ago and got denied. Today, I received the post denial letter in the mail and it says "Thank you for your interest in our BankAmericard Platinum Plus Mastercard". Is that the same thing as the secured card? If not, what should I do about this?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank of America confusion

Yes, the secured card is technically called the Platinum Plus MasterCard.

Did they give you specific reasons as to why you were denied? 

ETA: nevermind, I remember now. You are an authorized user on your mom's card with a large balance. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

ETA: nevermind, I remember now. You are an authorized user on your mom's card with a large balance. 

According to the letter that I received, "You have current or past delinquency, derogatory public record(s), or collection accounts appearing on your credit file."

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

According to the letter that I received, "You have current or past delinquency, derogatory public record(s), or collection accounts appearing on your credit file."

Okay...this is kind of weird...it's kind of like "duh BofA" One who applies for a secured card generally either has no credit or has some past issues. Hence the need for a secured card....so why deny someone for a secured card....maybe you are right, the "Platinum Plus MasterCard" with no mention of secured. I wonder if something got mixed up and they didn't consider you for the secured card?

Have you spoken to them yet? 

I still stand by what I said in my response to your other posting. You are well on your way with your Capital One and Discover IT secured cards. Use the heck out of those cards, build up your score and then within a year or so you will be able to apply for an unsecured BofA card with a sign up bonus. There is no need to tie up more of your cash in a third secured account. I know you wanted to build a relationship with BofA but it could wait another year. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay...this is kind of weird...it's kind of like "duh BofA" One who applies for a secured card generally either has no credit or has some past issues. Hence the need for a secured card....so why deny someone for a secured card....maybe you are right, the "Platinum Plus MasterCard" with no mention of secured. I wonder if something got mixed up and they didn't consider you for the secured card?

Have you spoken to them yet? 

I still stand by what I said in my response to your other posting. You are well on your way with your Capital One and Discover IT secured cards. Use the heck out of those cards, build up your score and then within a year or so you will be able to apply for an unsecured BofA card with a sign up bonus. There is no need to tie up more of your cash in a third secured account. I know you wanted to build a relationship with BofA but it could wait another year. 

That was my thought entirely. I applied for the secured card to help build my scores back up from the blemishes on my reports. There aren't many of them and everything is paid. I owe $0 to anyone. I have not spoke to them regarding the letter because I didn't really know what number to call.

I wasn't too upset about getting denied, but since it was obviously a hard pull I want to make sure that the application was processed correctly on their end. I am pleased with the Capital One and Discover approvals so I probably will in fact wait 6 months-year before I do anything else. I think I should be able to manage to pull my scores up to the mid 600s in that time frame.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.