Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay Apple Rewards...worth it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclay Apple Rewards...worth it?

Hi all, I usually lurked within the past few months and wanted to know if anyone can help me out about Apple's financing card with Barclays.

I am pretty new to credit as I am only 19 and my oldest account was when I turned 18 1 year and 6 months ago. I have 2 capital one platinum cards one with a $500 limit (Opened last June) , and one with a $300 limit on it (Opened it July of this year). I also own a Discover Student It Card with a $1250 balance opened the same time as my older Capital one card. I also opened a Fingerhut account ($500 limit) in January of this year (Not to use but to help my accounts to build credit since im a student and wanted to start early to grow my credit history).

I really only use my Discover since that's the only card I get rewards and cash back on with purchases, and up until this past August it was at a 70% util because I used it for some books and gas mostly. I have brought it down to 42% since then. I plan on paying it all of by next february. My current score (FICO) scores are TU 686 Eq 682 Ex 690 (would be higher but since my age of oldest account is little over a year ago and the fact that I had 4 inq since last year it is what it is)    

Long story short I was in apple over the summer to buy myself an apple watch and was talking into applying for their barclays financing card because I am an apple lover and since my older brother has this card and always mentions his love the rewards and 0% interest for how ever months you get to pay it off for apple products, I agreed to take another hp because I thought my chances were pretty good, but unfortunately was denied up front. The employee gave me a number to call and told me to call it so that the hp wouldn't go to total waste and the rep on the phone said that it was my discover util being high and credit history being less than a year at the time were the main reasons why they wouldn't approve me but said that by the end of this year to early next year I should be good. I know they're going to ask me to take a hp on my cp and don't know what to do since I really wanted to garden to gain credit history and pay off my discover balance. I am in need of a macbook for school and the financing would help me out greatly. Does anyone know what my chances are now? Anything would be helpful, thanks for reading my long post lol Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Barclay Apple Rewards...worth it?

I got the card several years ago and the CL went from 3000 to 9000 all auto CLI.  Forget the interest rate but they do have 0% offers on Apple stuff from time to time even after you use their original 0% offer.  Not sure about the approval rates but my scores were 760 ish at the time.  No issues with the card.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 6
Ardecko
Frequent Contributor

Expect peghede to be around soon to tell you how they're a terrible company and you should feel bad for considering them.

Let me get ahead of that: Some people have bad experiences with companies. Some people have good experiences with companies.

They are known to be fickle. Search here for issues people have had with them.

To your question, I just got my wife approved with not much better scores than yours, and possibly close to what you could get by fixing your utilization:
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Rebuilder-Jump-Scare-aka-Living-vicariously-th...
2017-09-09 FICO 08: EQ 677, TU 640, EX 705
2020-02-07 FICO 08: TU 789
2020-02-10 FICO 08: EX 752

Gardening, mostly, again until... soon(I need to replace my car)

Message 3 of 6
peghede
Valued Contributor

Anything with Barclay in it NOT worth it..

I closed my nfl card after like 3 years...best thing ever did in 3 years.

just don't do it.walk away from barclay they don't have the backbone .

don't just get it for the name.you not in the uk.

RUNNNNNN ,& never look back.

Remember I Told You so!!!

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback, I only wanted it to get a MacBook then pay it off in a few months...but reading your replies I guess I’ll just wait and keep paying off my balance on my discover and see what my options are then.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, you do have some options.  You could use your Discover Card when you have it paid down and receive 5% cash back by using the Apple link in the Discover app.  There’s usually around 150 extra Discover bonus offers every month.  You could also apply for the Barclay’s card and if approved, receive the free financing offer.  If you apply and are declined, you could still use the Discover card option.  A decline will only cost you is a HP.  

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.