tag
Simply827
Established Contributor

Re: Barclay CC let's put our heads together

@FinStar wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

SIMPLY827

Bravo you may have just unlocked the pattern we were seeing 

This is probably just one "layer" of many given their sophisticated risk algorithms.  Of course, no lender is going to share this proprietary information with the public so the only basis that can be discerned for AA, CLD, closure, etc., for most folks' would be based on just anecdotal patterns.

+1

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 91 of 972
myjourney
Super Contributor

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@emptypockets wrote:

@ journey, I am spooked mainly because I would rather know right away if they are going to do AA so I have been checking my account more recently. If they give me AA, I will just pay the card off sooner that I wanted, no biggie. I only used the BT check from them because it had a CLI attached (since they like to do HP's for most CLI's). They happened to catch me right when I had a unexpected expense that I wanted to "float" for a few months. Other than that, I get BT checks from alot of lenders on a regular basis, that go in the garbage. I agree that we cannot walk around in constant fear of what they might do. One advantage to having good credit is having options for how to manage your cashflow.

Like you the statement above is so true and you know I have seen BT checks from them but never really looked at the details I just turn them into strips Lol

Maybe I'll have to look closer now that I may get a SP CLI .....Lol

So how does this BT check with a CLI attached work?  The other day I called Barclay to alert them to travel, and they mentioned I had a BT offer available.  He went through a little bit and explained about some limit (around 1900 I think)…I assumed this meant the maximum amt I could transfer, but I wasn’t paying full attention since it wasn’t something I was interested in doing.  Yesterday, I got three BT checks in the mail but tossed them without reading anything.  Could they have been offering a CLI and I just missed it?  If so, how does this work?  It seems odd that Barclay would encourage this sort of thing

If you use the BT they will increase your credit limit by the amount of the check to the max size of the amount they extend to you

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 92 of 972
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@emptypockets wrote:

@ journey, I am spooked mainly because I would rather know right away if they are going to do AA so I have been checking my account more recently. If they give me AA, I will just pay the card off sooner that I wanted, no biggie. I only used the BT check from them because it had a CLI attached (since they like to do HP's for most CLI's). They happened to catch me right when I had a unexpected expense that I wanted to "float" for a few months. Other than that, I get BT checks from alot of lenders on a regular basis, that go in the garbage. I agree that we cannot walk around in constant fear of what they might do. One advantage to having good credit is having options for how to manage your cashflow.

Like you the statement above is so true and you know I have seen BT checks from them but never really looked at the details I just turn them into strips Lol

So how does this BT check with a CLI attached work?  The other day I called Barclay to alert them to travel, and they mentioned I had a BT offer available.  He went through a little bit and explained about some limit (around 1900 I think)…I assumed this meant the maximum amt I could transfer, but I wasn’t paying full attention since it wasn’t something I was interested in doing.  Yesterday, I got three BT checks in the mail but tossed them without reading anything.  Could they have been offering a CLI and I just missed it?  If so, how does this work?  It seems odd that Barclay would encourage this sort of thing

May seem odd on the surfce but, it's not odd at all since given a customer's internal risk or behavior with Barclays passes any "red" flags and since they may have SP'd your file to know what the overall CR picture is like, they're simply extending the offer to gain some business in the form of fee income/revenue in exchange for a low or 0% APR.

Message 93 of 972
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@emptypockets wrote:

If you use the BT they will increase your credit limit by the amount of the check to the max size of the amount they extend to you

Thanks...

So for the sake of argument, let’s say I have a card with a $2,000 limit and I’m carrying a balance of $500.  I get a BT offer in the mail allowing me to transfer up to $1,000.  If I accept and transfer, does this mean my new balance is $1,500 and my new CL is $3,000?  It sort of seems like that’s too good to be true…esp for such a finicky CCC.  There must be something I'm missing.   I’ve never done BTs before, is that how they all work?  If I did that, I’d be weary of AA both with Barclay and with the card I transferred from.  Assuming you don't run up the balance on the card you transferred from, it seems like this is a free way to reduce util...

Message 94 of 972
myjourney
Super Contributor

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@emptypockets wrote:

Thanks...

So for the sake of argument, let’s say I have a card with a $2,000 limit and I’m carrying a balance of $500.  I get a BT offer in the mail allowing me to transfer up to $1,000.  If I accept and transfer, does this mean my new balance is $1,500 and my new CL is $3,000?  It sort of seems like that’s too good to be true…esp for such a finicky CCC.  There must be something I'm missing.   I’ve never done BTs before, is that how they all work?  If I did that, I’d be weary of AA both with Barclay and with the card I transferred from.  Assuming you don't run up the balance on the card you transferred from, it seems like this is a free way to reduce util...

For Barclay that is correct as to how it works...not other lenders tho...its a promo offer from Barclay

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 95 of 972
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@emptypockets wrote:

Thanks...

The offer will read something like this "As a loyal (insert Barclays product) cardmember, you have qualified for incredible savings when you use the enclosed low-interest-rate checks.  Plus, as a special bonus, when you use the top check, you'll automatically receive a credit line increase of up to $x,xxx, raising your total credit line to a maximum of $x,xxx."

So, in your scenario, your offer could read or qualify for a CLI of up to $1,000.00 for a total new CL of $3,000.  Thus far, I'm not aware whether the offer is available online or via phone - I think it only comes with the BT checks promotion.  So, while they may seem like a shreddable item (unless not needed), for others who have posted their battles up the long winding road to the Barclays castle just to get a CLI from the King, this is perhaps the easiest method - a no brainer.  And, yes it is SP (based on the most recent one reviewed on the CR).

Message 96 of 972
pt310
Frequent Contributor

I have 0% BT offers on their website all the time. I even used it - twice, but they didn't increase my limit...I guess it's only with the checks. But they don't send those to me.Smiley Sad

Maybe because my entire balance now is at 0%?

My history with them is that I originally had a Juniper card @ $600 opened in '08, which was auto-cli'd by Juniper to $2,000. After it was transferred to Barclays, I got an auto cli just this past April to $2,900. After I paid it off, I started getting the BT offers online. I've BT'd two other cards to pay them off, and am now paying off Barclays. I've got about $900 on it now, so I'm about 31% util on this card. But from what I've read here, that's right about where they want people to be. I haven't had any AA from the 5 new cards I've opened since May, although some of the stories do make me a little nervous, too.

Message 97 of 972
myjourney
Super Contributor

@pt310 wrote:

I have 0% BT offers on their website all the time. I even used it - twice, but they didn't increase my limit...I guess it's only with the checks. But they don't send those to me.Smiley Sad

Maybe because my entire balance now is at 0%?

@Anonymous history with them is that I originally had a Juniper card @ $600 opened in '08, which was auto-cli'd by Juniper to $2,000. After it was transferred to Barclays, I got an auto cli just this past April to $2,900. After I paid it off, I started getting the BT offers online. I've BT'd two other cards to pay them off, and am now paying off Barclays. I've got about $900 on it now, so I'm about 31% util on this card. But from what I've read here, that's right about where they want people to be. I haven't had any AA from the 5 new cards I've opened since May, although some of the stories do make me a little nervous, too.

It certainly seems to be what they like to see indeed Smiley Wink

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 98 of 972
Simply827
Established Contributor

I was sent a check as a new cardholder, but i'm pretty sure it acted as a cash advance. I'll have to check it again and look closer in the future.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 99 of 972
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

AFAIK, the BT promotional check offers are targeted, so not everyone will receive them.  And, for the most part, they are typically sent once you have had your account(s) established with them for a period of time.  The actual CLI BT promotional check offers are infrequent though, most folks usually just get the BT (non-CLI) ones or whatever may be offered online.

Message 100 of 972
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.