Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay CC let's put our heads together

tag
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

Re: Barclay CC let's put our heads together

Starry - Sorry you are still waiting for a CLI, I am in the same boat. I have had my account open since Feb of 2014 and still have not had a CLI. My husband and I opened our cards the same day and he had an auto CLI at 7 months but nothing since. Not sure what the deal is with them, we both used the card heavily, put through $1000+ every month and left a small balance reporting (10-15%) each month. We did everything we have read about to give ourselves a better chance of an auto CLI but so far, I have had nothing.....hubby has, not me. I have a 710 TU FICO and he has a 655 TU FICO, so go figure, LOL.

I called them last month and asked about a CLI on my account since I had not received one for an entire year but the rep said they needed to see a little more history before they would consider a CLI, so a year is apparently not long enough for them. Smiley Frustrated

I have had much better luck with Cap One, and they were the company I read about that supposedly did NOT grow with you but I have found the exact opposite to be true. Cap One has grown leaps and bounds compared to Barclay's. 

I hope you get some auto love soon. I have tried and tried to figure out what to do to get them to show some love but nothing is working so I am planning to PIF this month and just stop using the card. I will use it once or twice a year to keep it active, otherwise, I will put through my $2k - $3k a month cc usage with Cap One since they have been very good to me and I have $20k+ in available credit with them. If Barclay's ever gives me a decent increase, I may start using them again but I am tired of limiting my usage and paying 2 or 3 times a month just to make sure I never go over 20% with them. I only have a $1300 CL with them and was planning to use them as my main card because I was expecting at a CLI at 6 months but after I did not get it, I started to move my usage over to Cap One and it is so much easier to put $2500 a month on my Cap One cards and PIF each month, instead of having to pay 2 or 3 payments a month on Barclay's card to be able to put through that much usage. It is too much of a hassle. 

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 961 of 972
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Today is my 6mo statement date but so far I haven't seen an increase, nor my statement yet..  Still hoping for a 6 mo CLI anytime now..  

My 6mo CLI showed up at 11pm Eastern time on the statement date.

Message 962 of 972
Scupra
Super Contributor

Diva have you tried charging close to max and PIF a couple times a month? That's what I do and they seem to love my usage pattern.
Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 963 of 972
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

Yes, I did that the first 7 months, but with no auto love, I gave up. LOL

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 964 of 972
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

Just wanted to give an update on my Barclay's cards. I have waited patiently for 18 months to get an auto CLI and after my 18th statement cut last week and still without an auto CLI, I got frustrated and called them today because I read that if you call in for an interest rate reduction, sometimes they will do a CLI without a hard pull. I asked the first rep if I would qualify for a lower interest rate and after looking at my account, she transeferred me to someone who could help me and tell me if I qualified. I explained to the second rep that I had the account for 18 months without any CLI's and wanted to see if I qualified for a lower interest rate and possibly a CLI with a soft pull.

She was very nice and said I qualified for a 4% interest rate reduction, bringing it down to 20.99%, which was great. Then she said I also qualified for a CLI without a HP. She only gave me a small increase from $1300 to $1900, but at least that is something in a positive direction. She said that after I accepted the new credit limit, it would make way for more offers in the future and pretty much get the ball rolling. I asked how long I had this offer available and she said she was not certain when it came available but that it had probably been a while. So, I was given a SP CLI and a 4% interest rate reduction by simply calling and asking for it. 

I also have a Upromise Sallie Mae Mastercard that I opened in Feb. of 2015, so it is only 6 months old, but I decided to ask about that one as well. I was given a 4% interest rate reduction on that card, bringing it down to 13.99% and small CLI on that card from $500 to $750, which is better than nothing. She said I can try again in 6 months if I don't receive something automatically but that once I have my first CLI, it usually starts the ball rolling for them in the future without having to call. 

Just FYI: I know my increases are small but I am disabled and have a very small personal income. Although my combined income with my husband is well above the average household income in America, my personal income is minuscule in comparison to our combined income so that may have quite a bit to do with why the CLI was so small. 

I hope this info helps some of you who may be waiting for a long time without an auto CLI and do not want a HP for an increase. Also, a 4% rate reduction doesn't hurt much either, LOL. I will wait for 6 more months and try again. At that point, if I am only given tiny increases again, I will probably combine them to just one card and go from there. 

Also wanted to add that I asked the first rep about a CLI with a SP and she said I would only have the option of a HP CLI but when she transferred me to the second rep (the one with the actual power to do something, lol) the second rep said I did in fact qualify for a SP CLI on both cards, so please don't even bother asking the first rep, they are useless in that area. LOL.

Message 965 of 972
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

OK here is my experience on Barclaycards after having procured the Rewards Card MC thru an instant approval in July 2014 for $5K.

I had waited patiently for 13 months for any auto CLI and after my 6th & last month 12th statement cut was still no auto CLI period. I also got frustrated and called for an interest rate reduction and/or a CLI without a hard pull. I was told there were none for this account Grrrrrr

So this weekend i decided to apply for the 8% APR Ring Card which was initially a 7-10 response and upon calling Recon line was told it was a denial citing the same old excuse as always. I ended that call and called again, got another one on the phone and went thru the same rehashed answers again as is the practice. (getting used to some of this now LoL). On the 3rd call the gentleman basically repeated the previous replies however i abruptly interjected and requested (if it was possible) to open the Ring Card with the Rewards Limit and he gladly permitted it and even cited my, as he put it "strong payment history" on the Rewards card i had for a year.

Well long story short, it was no wasted HP at least and the bonus for me was the overturn and subsequent reallocation of limits to open the Ring. I don't know anything i could of done differently short of just not adding any cards at all in the period that i held the Rewards MC but then why sell yourself short. When there are competing credit products that meet or exceed your expectations sometimes you can't wait or you just might miss that boat, or train, or whatever it might be that could never pass through your way again.

Message 966 of 972
myjourney
Super Contributor

Congrats CreditMagic that's a good option to get the card you wanted and good info for others to know 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 967 of 972
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure if this will help but glad to share

Received $500 auto cli at 6 month mark for Rewards card after putting through a reasonable, but not amazing, amount of spend (probably $500 per month on card)

Put 50-60 transactions each month through Rewards card from 6 month mark to 12 month mark (averaged about $1,400-$2,200 per month on card)

Made large, frequent payments - did not PIF; left a small balance

Went no higher than 35-40% of credit limit at any time on account

Received 3k auto CLI at one minute after midnight when 12 month statement cut

Only had 2 new accounts within past 12 months at time of 3k auto CLI (went on spree after auto cli, so I'm sure they were not thrilled)

Paid down debt on all cards between 6 month and 12 month CLI's - did not increase overall debt

Hope this helps someone

Message 968 of 972
Anonymous
Not applicable

After reviewing most of this thread, I figured I would share my recent experience with the group.

I had decent credit (740ish but high debt) prior to a divorce and subsequent CH7 BK last summer. The BK was discharged 10/02/2014. I did the usual move of first obtaining a Credit One card ($500 CL) right after discharge. Second move was a Merrick bank card ($1100 CL) a couple months later. Then, about 06/01/2015 I applied for and was approved for a Barclaycard (rewards card) with a $1500 CL. At the time I didn't realize I could call and ask for recon on the original HP (and to be honest, I was happy to get the $1500 being 8 months out of BK). Over the last few months since getting the card, I've used it heavily. I've put over $5k through the account - just paying the full balance everytime the balance reached $150 (10% of CL). This resulted in payments every 2 to 5 days. So I started reading this thread last night and it got me to wondering about a CLI.

Looking at other people and their experiences, I got to thinking that there was a good chance I'd get an auto CLI at the 6 month mark. But I've always been impatient, so I called the recon line this morning and talked to an analyst. Told him about my heavy use of the card and having to pay multiple times a month in an effort to keep my utilization low and asked him if there was anything they could do to help me out without a HP. He pretty much tells me that they can't do anything without a HP, but that he'd be more than happy to do whatever he could if I authorized a HP. So I reluctantly agreed (again, I'm impatient). He did a HP and asked me questions about my employment, salary, and if there was anything that led up to the BK. I told him about how the BK was a result of a divorce and a year of ordered alimony (which is over now). He asked about the other two credit cards that looked barely used. I told him that they were sub-prime credit cards that I obtained in my trek back to creditworthiness and that I used only enough to keep them reporting - and that I was about to close CreditOne before the AF hit. He told me that my usage with Barclays looked great, showed I was responsible, and that I was on my way to restoring my credit. He asked how large of a line I wished for and I told him $5k would be great, but that I'd take whatever he could give me. After a brief hold, he came back and told me that he got the okay to raise me to $3500 CL. I thanked him and told him I was just happy that the HP wasn't for nothing. A few minutes later, I logged on and verified that the CLI was there. 

Just thought I'd share in case anyone reading this was in a similar boat. Seems those recent posts claiming that Barclays likes heavy use (even if you PIF) are true. Hope this helps someone! 

Message 969 of 972
Anonymous
Not applicable

An update on my situation for anyone who might be interested. Six months (to the day) after I received my requested CLI from $1500 to $3500, I got an automatic CLI to $6500. My usage has remained about the same over the last 6 months; heavy use of the card (putting $1500-$200 through it each month, but paying it 3-4 times a month - every time the balance gets above a few hundred dollars) but I have not used any of the checks they send me.

Hope this info helps!

Message 970 of 972
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.