Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay CC let's put our heads together

tag
staifokuzed
Regular Contributor

Re: Barclay CC let's put our heads together

Haven't noticed any emails from boost ever. Boost is simalar to discover mall or the like. Bonus for shopping.
AMEX B SKY-1K AMEX PRG- NPSL USAA PLTM -6K
DISCOVER IT- 5.2K BARCLAY REWARD- 3.2K
PAYPAL REWARDS -6K VICTORIA SECRETS -1750
USAA AMEX-5.5K CITI TY PREFR 3.1K(NPSL) CHASE FREEDOM -1K
SPORTSMAN VISA- 8K AMEX ED PRFD- 8.5
Message 71 of 972
myjourney
Super Contributor

SIMPLY827

Bravo you may have just unlocked the pattern we were seeing 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 72 of 972
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@myjourney wrote:

SIMPLY827

This is probably just one "layer" of many given their sophisticated risk algorithms.  Of course, no lender is going to share this proprietary information with the public so the only basis that can be discerned for AA, CLD, closure, etc., for most folks' would be based on just anecdotal patterns.

Message 73 of 972
myjourney
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

SIMPLY827

This is probably just one "layer" of many given their sophisticated risk algorithms.  Of course, no lender is going to share this proprietary information with the public so the only basis that can be discerned for AA, CLD, closure, etc., for most folks' would be based on just anecdotal patterns.

I suspect that is true as well 

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 74 of 972
Buckeye07
Established Member

OK so according to the chart, the optimal usage is at 30-40%...Does that mean use 30-40% then pay the balance in full each month, or use the card and make the payment such that there is 30-40% left over and they can earn interest?  I assume the latter is true in that i received a 150% auto CLI at the 6 month mark by carrying a 60% balance most of the time.

Is it worth keeping my balance at 30-40% and paying the $10 a month (for me) in interest in order to put myself in best position for another auto CLI?

Message 75 of 972
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Buckeye07 wrote:

OK so according to the chart, the optimal usage is at 30-40%...Does that mean use 30-40% then pay the balance in full each month, or use the card and make the payment such that there is 30-40% left over and they can earn interest?  I assume the latter is true in that i received a 150% auto CLI at the 6 month mark by carrying a 60% balance most of the time.

Is it worth keeping my balance at 30-40% and paying the $10 a month (for me) in interest in order to put myself in best position for another auto CLI?

No don't do it Lol

I would just carry a balance during the 0% period and still not a lot

PIF after the expiration

I did see a pattern of carrying balances over say 3-4 months and then paying off seemed to result in a CLI like yours

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 76 of 972
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Are their certain Barclay card products that are more prone to AA than others?

Message 77 of 972
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

AFAIK, all their products - which include personal and business CCs.  There ins't going to be one preferred over the other since to them risk is risk.

Message 78 of 972
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

OK, here's mine:

Approved: May 2009 for US Air MC. Approved for $4000. Early 2010 applied for a Spirit Airlines card, approved by splitting 4k line from US Air, so both cards were 2k each. A few months later, when Barclays lost Spirit CC portfolio, this card became a platinum MC. 

Increase: Requested a CLI online (Boost your spending power) 5/2011. Was declined for increase on Platinum MC (reason - you have adequate avail credit on other accounts or something like that) with no hard pull. I went ahead and applied for a CLI for US Airways, and got the same denial letter (AND they pulled a hard). At the time accounts had been open 2 yrs, and used for recurring charges, XM radio, Onstar, etc.) and PIF each month. Later that same month, went online to pay the bill and they raised the US Air limit to 3200. (Note - I got a letter a week or so later saying that the denial was done in error, and they increased the limit by the requested amount. No CLI for the Platinum MC though). 

Increase #2: In May, 2012 went to pay my bill and I noticed that my limit (US Air MC) had went up by $700. I got a letter a couple days later saying, "congrats, we have   increased your limit, etc." This was my first Auto CLI, on this account (open since 5/09). I had not been using the card much, and actually was carrying a small       balance (700 on a card with a 3200 limit) prior to this CLI, which took the card to a 3900 CL.

Increase #3: In June, 2012, received a Auto CLI on Platinum MC, limit went from 2k to 3350.

Spree #1: opened five cards in June-July 2012. Wasn't using either card much during this time, as I was meeting bonus spend on other cards. Also switched auto pay to other cards.

Applied 9/2012: Apped for NFL card. Decision deferred. Was told that they manually review all apps when cardholder has an existing card. Had to explain app spree      (told them it was for rewards). Approved for 5k. Was told by CSR that I should not app for any new cards for "a while" or risk AA. When asked what was "a while" he clarified that he meant the next 6 months. At that time, I combined limit from Plat MC with US Air, making that limit 7250. I used the NFL card for a month or so, just charging $400-500 so I could get the sign up bonus.

Increase #4: 5/2013 - Received BT checks in the mail, which said I could transfer a balance onto NFL card, and they would match up to $3k with a CLI. I wrote a check  to myself for the $3.3k to transfer a balance, and they actually raised limit the entire 3.3k (not just up to 3k). I currently have a balance of 1.2k left on the 0% BT on the NFL card until 8/2014. Limit on NFL card is now 8.3k.

Spree #2: 5/2013-7/2013 - (I waited 8 months) Apped and received Chase Marriott, Chase SW, Citi AA Siggy Visa, and BOA Better Balance Rewards.

I really don't use Barclay's as my "main cards" and am carrying a small 0% balance on them currently. This is my first use of them for a BT, but I received the checks from them (with the CLI offer) in the past on the US Air account, but never used it. Current utilization (over all cards) is 4%, and all of it is at 0%. I PIF other cards that I use throughout the month.

As of yet, no AA or CLD, but I continue to check the account regularly, as the posts on the forum have me spooked.

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 79 of 972
myjourney
Super Contributor

@EaglesFan2006 wrote:

Are their certain Barclay card products that are more prone to AA than others?

Finstar

AFAIK, all their products - which include personal and business CCs.  There ins't going to be one preferred over the other since to them risk is risk.

I would agree with Finstar they certainly don't show a pattern of which cards they chose to have adverse effects with thus any and all.

I think as a result of all of us looking at this we are seeing some similarities in how they judge and who and why someone may be subject to AA or CLD including closings.

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 80 of 972
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.