Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclay's makes me laugh

tag
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclay's makes me laugh

The above could be what is happening, with them thinking you have enough credit elsewhere. If it comes yo it, you just make a decision on if they suit you or not. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it, although I understand what you feel. Keep focusing on your other cards growing, I guess.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 21 of 40
CatOfSpades
Frequent Contributor

@Pway wrote:
I understand that. I'm not going to close the card, I'm just frustrated with them. They used to get a lot of usage now they will get little usage. This card used to be my daily driver but I hate making multiple month payments. I can use my capital one and not worry about my util or having a maxed out card.

This is far more annoying than some people realize. I'm the kind of person who needs a high enough limit that I can spend freely all month and then pay it off on the 30th. If I have to take extra steps like this, I'm not going to use the card. It's not worth the effort to me. Too lazy for that. Smiley Wink

♠Queen of Spades♠
Apple Card MC $10,000
BofA Cash Rewards VS $10,000
5/3 Cash/Back WEMC $10,000
Discover IT $7,500
Message 22 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 doesn’t care about much as long as you pay more than the minimum and pay on time.
Message 23 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pway wrote:

I applied for the Cash Forward MC with Barclay's bank and I received the 30 day message.  I waited it out until I received the letter and it states:

-Sufficient credit is available on your account issued by Barclays Bank Delaware.

I laughed and siad really, my Rewards MC, is at a 750 limit and it has remained there for over a year.  I have taken two HP, just trying to get this account to increase last year and I will not take another one for a CLI.  I just don't understand them.  The card I have with them will not grow and I cannot get another product with them, they didn't even pull my credit for this new card I was trying to get.  It leads me to believe that I am internally blacklisted with them, eventhough I have one of their products. 

My scores are much higher now than when I was first approved for this card and all my other cards in my portfolio has grown drastically.  Someone please help me understand their reasoning or is there an understanding to their madness?

Good luck with that.  They will make you pull your hair out if you have any.

Message 24 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@thummel wrote:
Barclay in my opinion needs to relax on there underwriting a little in my opinion. I applied for there ring card with a 760 TU and a perfect spotless report. They could only find one reason to decline me. But soon after I joined a credit union and that was the end of that story.

Right on !!!

Message 25 of 40
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

@CatOfSpades wrote:

@Pway wrote:
I understand that. I'm not going to close the card, I'm just frustrated with them. They used to get a lot of usage now they will get little usage. This card used to be my daily driver but I hate making multiple month payments. I can use my capital one and not worry about my util or having a maxed out card.

This is far more annoying than some people realize. I'm the kind of person who needs a high enough limit that I can spend freely all month and then pay it off on the 30th. If I have to take extra steps like this, I'm not going to use the card. It's not worth the effort to me. Too lazy for that. Smiley Wink

It is incredibly frustrating when a CL is too low to be useful. On one account, AmEx extended only $2k initially on BCP. That was a card that I intended to put serious mileage on for groceries and fuel, and $2k wouldn't be enough to get me through month to month (when your statement cuts but you're already into spending for the next month). I ended up transfering part of a CL from an AmEx I'd had for a while, and then was able to get a CLI so now they're both where I'm comfortable with them, but it took finagling which I found annoying.

Barclay's on the other hand has been very good to me. I applied for two cards with them last year and was very impressed with the starting lines. I don't expect they'll increase at all (I had an LL Bean card with them for a decade or so without a CLI, ever) but they weren't stingy with the starting line for my new cards. Best I can guess, they like a clean file with lengthy history and then perhaps they'll be generous with a SL.

Message 26 of 40
Pway
Valued Contributor

I have not lost any sleep over them.  It's just frustrating that they have such tight guidelines with their cards.  

@RM21 wrote:
The above could be what is happening, with them thinking you have enough credit elsewhere. If it comes yo it, you just make a decision on if they suit you or not. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it, although I understand what you feel. Keep focusing on your other cards growing, I guess.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 27 of 40
Pway
Valued Contributor

As I have read the other posts I see that I am anot the only one that cannot get an increase out of them.  I am going to keep the card open and see how it goes.  I will use it but it just get on my nerve how they do things.  I understand totally how they are and there are others here that have the same view points as me when it comes to them.  I was just suprised when I received the denial letter, that it was the only reason stated.  

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 28 of 40
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

Just my experience. Barclay was one of my early cards and they started me out suuuuper low - $250. I could not get them to budge even a little bit regardless of usage, even as my score and reports aged and got better. I closed the account after maybe a year. Around a year later, I applied for the RIng and was approved for $7500. I really feel like I was bucketed in a very bad way with the first card. Just an FYI. Long-term you may want to consider closing and coming back. YMMV, but it worked for me. Best of luck either way. Smiley Happy

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 29 of 40
Shelly13
New Contributor

Wow reading this thread had me surprised. When I started out with Barclay they gave me 500 SL. I've had the card for almost 3 years and have a CL of 10,000 and I've never asked for a CLI. They bump me every sept, and they are my highest limit card. I did app for 3 new cards this past week so things may change. They may bump me down who knows.
Amex ED: 5,000 I Barclays: 10,000 I Discover: 8,700 I VS: 6,000 I Citi Simplicity: 6,700 I Amex BC: 2,000 I Marvel MC: 8,000 I
I Chase FU: 4,000 I US Bank: 500.00 I Fidelity: 5,000 I
Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.