Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard Cashforward denied

tag
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

Barclaycard Cashforward denied

So I applied on Monday just to see if I would get approved for this card. I call their credit analyst number a few days later to check on the status on my application and they said it was denied due to no usage or history on my new Freedom Unlimited card. They also asked about the Capital One card I had in 2014 that I closed and paid off due to missed payments. I was straightforward about it and told him that's why I haven't had a card since then (about 2 1/2 years ago). I wanted to work my way back up to having a good credit history before I decided to get another one.

Rep was very nice with me and said that it was primarily the usage of my new card is the only thing keeping me from getting the Barclaycard. At least I'm glad that he was honest about it so that I know what to do for the next six months. Unless I decide to get a secured card next month, I will most likely hold off on applying for another card until May or June.

FYI, they pulled TU from my report. 

FICO 8 Scores 12/2017: EX-596; TU-604; EQ-591
Current: EX-648; TU-665; EQ-678
AAoA: 4.4 yrs
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclaycard Cashforward denied

You need to stop apping. I think this is the third denial post I've seen from you this week. You're just hurting your scores with wasted inquiries at this point.

You got one card with a decent limit, and probably based off your existing banking relationship. None of these other companies know you, your usage, or your history. 

Build a payment history with the Freedom Unlimited for 6 months. If you're worried about getting a second card, check out Capital One, like I said in your Paypal denial post. 

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

My impression of Barclay over the past year is they are stingy and nothing special compared to some of the other companies out there.

Message 3 of 15
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

@DeeBee78 wrote:

You need to stop apping. I think this is the third denial post I've seen from you this week. You're just hurting your scores with wasted inquiries at this point.

You got one card with a decent limit, and probably based off your existing banking relationship. None of these other companies know you, your usage, or your history. 

Build a payment history with the Freedom Unlimited for 6 months. If you're worried about getting a second card, check out Capital One, like I said in your Paypal denial post. 

This is actually my first denial post on here since I did this and the Paypal card on the same day. Plus, the Paypal is still pending. I think with just three inquiries in my report, I think I'll survive for the next six months until I decide if I app one more time.

Message 4 of 15
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My impression of Barclay over the past year is they are stingy and nothing special compared to some of the other companies out there.

Very much agreed. And they have the awful habit of sending frequent pre selected mailer(No Pre Qual site) to give false confidence.

Message 5 of 15
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear it.

Message 6 of 15
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

Sorry to hear it.

It's all good. After thinking it, I probably should have applied for something basic first like a Walmart card or the Discover IT since they like to send me stuff in the mail. I'm just going to wait a few months after I make some payments on the FU card before I try to apply for it. 

Message 7 of 15
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

Sounds like a GREAT plan to me "I'm just going to wait a few months after I make some payments on the FU card before I try to apply for it"

Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 15
marcforza1
Frequent Contributor

@JoeLuvsHisCredit wrote:

Sounds like a GREAT plan to me "I'm just going to wait a few months after I make some payments on the FU card before I try to apply for it"

Smiley Happy

I just want to establish some historpaand PIF payments with the FU card since that was the reason why I wasn't able to get the Barclaycard. First payment's not due until 2/17 but already got it planned on my calendar to make early payments before the due date.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@marcforza1 wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

Sorry to hear it.

It's all good. After thinking it, I probably should have applied for something basic first like a Walmart card or the Discover IT since they like to send me stuff in the mail. I'm just going to wait a few months after I make some payments on the FU card before I try to apply for it. 

Just keep in mind, Discover is phenomenal and far from basic. Better than Barclay in every aspect.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.