Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard app fail

tag
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Barclaycard app fail

So part of my vacation strategy was going to be to get a Barclaycard Arrival+ to offset the taxes and fees on my award tickets. I'd just gotten a Barclay Wyndham card a month ago, and there's no inquiries on my TU report since then so I figured I'd give it a shot before my new Amex and BoA accounts start reporting.

Got the unable to respond message.  Checked on the app status page a minute later and it showed as declined.

I called recon and had a pleasant but short conversation.  He told me I have lots of recent new accounts in the last 4 months.  I couldn't really argue with that.  He said it was a system denial and there was nothing he could do.  I asked if there was an amount of time I should wait and maintain my accounts before trying again and he said he couldn't say.  So I thanked him for his time and hung up.

Looking back, I think I can see what happened.  When I got my Wyndham card, the cards I'd gotten approved for in the preceeding few weeks had reported yet (Citi TYP, Chase IHG) so my newest accounts were 3 months old, along with my most recent TU inquiry.  Right now, the newest account and TU inquiry are 1 month old.

What do you guys think? Should I try recon again, or should I just chalk this up to hubris and try gardening until December?

EDIT: I just got my denial letter today and it seems to go along with the recent news about Barclay implementing some kind of 5/24-like rule on this card. The only reason listed was number of new accounts in the last 24 months. My TU score was 769 and at the time was showing 9 accounts < 24 months and 3 inquiries (2 inq. < 12 months).

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Barclaycard app fail

I think you should recon again.  But express why you want the card like I'm really interested in the card because I recently started traveling internationally for work and would like to take advantage of the no foreign transaction fee and the benefits of having a WEMC.  I'm not looking for alot of credit just want my foot in the door.  I recently got denied for the aviator card but i had a successful recon

Message 2 of 30
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Golden rule with barclay's is wait 6 months between applications with them and typically will get an instant approval regardless of how many new accts you have with them... If it is 1-4 months it usually will be a decline.  Just to save you HP's in the future.  Certainly can try to call and recon again and if no then offer to move some of your limit from the other card to get it opened and that might work.

Message 3 of 30
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Golden rule with barclay's is wait 6 months between applications with them and typically will get an instant approval regardless of how many new accts you have with them... If it is 1-4 months it usually will be a decline.  Just to save you HP's in the future.  Certainly can try to call and recon again and if no then offer to move some of your limit from the other card to get it opened and that might work.

Good to know... thanks.

They only gave me $2800 on the Wyndham card, so I don't have much to contribute to a new card.  I'll just wait and apply later.

Message 4 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I waited 3 1/2 months between my Barclay approvals.  I had a ton of new accounts in prior 4 months and a lot of hard pulls on Trans Union (This was 10th in prior 6 months).  Do you carry balances? I see a lot of interest rates listed on your cards? Maybe that is the difference.

Message 5 of 30
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I don't carry balances. I have less than 1% utilization and always pay in full, usually before statement prints except for a few cards I let report.
Message 6 of 30
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Typically repeat recons with Barclay aren't very helpful as they go off of notes from prior calls. No harm in trying but don't expect too much. In all likelihood you just have to garden awhile. Too many new accounts is a very tough thing to recon with them.
Message 7 of 30
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Barclay's has always been tought for me to crack. good Luck

Message 8 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:
I don't carry balances. I have less than 1% utilization and always pay in full, usually before statement prints except for a few cards I let report.

Strange.  I did put 5k on my first Barclay card before getting my second one.  Or maybe it is just that the Aviator is easier to get.  

Message 9 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Won't hurt to recon again.  Some people have success on 2nd even 3rd recon call...let us know what happened.

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.