Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays CLI Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Barclays CLI Question

Hello All!

I have a Barclays card that is due, let's say on the 1st of every month, and the statement cuts on the 4th of every month. My current balance is about $3000.00, and my statement balance is about $400.00. My 6th statement is going to cut on the 4th (in a few days). Now, I'm debating whether I should PIF (Current Balance) tonight, or pay about $2600.00 and let the 6th statement cut with a utilization of less than 10% ($400.00).

The only thing I'm wondering about is whether it's more favorable by Barclays to pay off everything, ($0 balance) before the 6th statement cut, or to leave a couple hundred dollars to show that there's current usage on the card. Only reason I'm asking is because since it IS the 6th statement cut, I'm really hoping for a Credit Limit Increase from them. So, which option do you guys suggest is better odds to get a CLI from them? PIF the entire balance, or pay more than the statement balance and leave less than 10% util left to show current usage?

Please let me know! Thanks so much, myFICOers! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
chwebb1
Established Contributor

Re: Barclays CLI Question

My understanding of Barclaycard is that they like to see utilization of around 30% to grant auto-CLI. That was what was posted in a blog post on the Ring community.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replying, chwebb1. Yes, I read that case study the other night..

Hmmm, I always thought that if I showed more than 10% utilization on the card right before the 6th statement, they would flag you as high risk on their scoring models and not grant a CLI since it "looks like" you're spending too much and are wayyy past the suggested utilization ratio. Correct me if I'm wrong here?

Message 3 of 12
chwebb1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hmmm, I always thought that if I showed more than 10% utilization on the card right before the 6th statement, they would flag you as high risk on their scoring models and not grant a CLI since it "looks like" you're spending too much and are wayyy past the suggested utilization ratio. Correct me if I'm wrong here?

I believe that it's 50% you don't want to go over, and certainly not 80%. I've personally allowed 30% to report on my Ring, but I do have a small limit (and all of my other accounts had low/no balances so my overall utilization was still around 1-3%). I don't think that one account at 30% is going to hurt you especially if you have low utilization on your other accounts. But I haven't yet gotten an Automatic-CLI from them yet, and I've had them since June 2013.

photo NUS000000180_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo DISCOVER_IT_LG.gif photo card_1.png photo night-launch.png photo NUS000000012_160X101_STRAIGHT.gif photo bankamericard-better-balance-rewards-credit-card-small.png
$15000 ........... $12500 ............ $11750 ............ $10000 ........... $9400 ............ $5000 ............. $5000
In the Garden until at least November 2015
Message 4 of 12
DrMac210
Regular Contributor

FWIW, I let my Barclay SM card report UTI at just over 30% at the 6 month mark and received an auto CLI from $10K ==> $13K

Starting Score: EQ 641, TU ???, EX ??? (myfico 6/7/13)
Current Score: EQ 760, TU 740, EX 750 (myfico July 2015)
Goal Score: 800 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chwebb1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe that it's 50% you don't want to go over, and certainly not 80%. I've personally allowed 30% to report on my Ring, but I do have a small limit (and all of my other accounts had low/no balances so my overall utilization was still around 1-3%). I don't think that one account at 30% is going to hurt you especially if you have low utilization on your other accounts. But I haven't yet gotten an Automatic-CLI from them yet, and I've had them since June 2013.

Got it. I have a CSP with about 3% utilization, and that's all the cards in play right now. Wow, I'm really hoping Barclays isn't as stingy with a CLI. Smiley Indifferent

@DrMac210 wrote:

FWIW, I let my Barclay SM card report UTI at just over 30% at the 6 month mark and received an auto CLI from $10K ==> $13K

Thanks for the info, DrMac! I'm still debating whether I'm going to let it report <10% UTIL or ~30% UTIL. I need to make my decision and payment by today! Smiley Surprised

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

keep the utilization low my friend. 

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

keep the utilization low my friend. 

Thank you for replying, friend! Smiley Happy

I haven't made my payment yet as I'm still on the fence of whether to report a lower util (>10%) or a higher util (~30%). I keep hearing different things!

Le sigh..

Message 8 of 12
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

I had a $1200 Apple that I opened with a $900 iPhone purchase at 0%... made payments for 6 months and UTI was around 30% at 6 months when I got a $1000 CLI.  Never got another one after that... I didn't use the card though after paying off the phone.

I closed that 16 month old account last month when I opened Sallie Mae... As soon as I opened the account I called the backdoor number and moved the Apple CL over and closed that account....  $4500 to $6700 Sallie Mae.

The SM card got more swipes in the first 2 weeks than the Apple card did in the previous 16 months.  It's nice to have a card with rewards!

I'm pretty confident I'll get an auto CLI at 6 months... gonna keep UTI under 30%.... $2010.  No problem.

FICO8 current as of : ----- EQ: --- TU: --- EX: ---
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 7 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $6500 Amex Delta Platinum $10,000 Care Credit $12,000
NFCU CashRewards $6000 Apple Card $2000 Best Buy $3500 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) $44k new - balance $31k/6.94%
Total CL: $45,000 --- Total CC UTI: --% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 11-30-23
Message 9 of 12
elim
Senior Contributor

30% worked for me on the 5th statement (PIF'd after statement cut) and reported 0 on statement 6.

looks like 30% to me (judging by the ring community)

carrying near max looks like CLD.

Graph_CLIPart2.png

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.