Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Card for High Starting CL and No Interest for at Least One Year

tag
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Best Card for High Starting CL and No Interest for at Least One Year

My wife is ready to app for another card and I was wondering which card she would have the best chance of getting a high starting CL with no interest for at least one year.

She has a pretty thick file with two closed auto loans and 4 credit cards. She does have 2 unpaid charge offs that are at least 6 years old and will drop off in 2015.

In her purse:

Cap1: $125/$1500

Walmart: $0/$1200

AMEX PRG: $0

Discover: $0/$9500

The AMEX and Discover IT cards just turned 1 year old. The $9500 Discover CL was her starting CL. The Cap1 and Walmart cards are 3 years old.

EQ TU 08 score: 715

AAoA: Just over 3 years

I was thinking of the BoA Rewards, Chase Freedom or Citi Thank You.

Any thoughts?

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Card for High Starting CL and No Interest for at Least One Year

Have you checked any pre-quals for her? I am assuming that decent starting CLs wouldn't be a problem if Discover gave her 9500 out of the gate. You could look at Chase pre-quals and see what is available. A capital one card would likely give her a large CL with 18 months 0% especially with a somewhat thick file. Are you looking for a card that she can actually keep open and use for quite some time or just more credit for immediate use?

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamie123 wrote:

My wife is ready to app for another card and I was wondering which card she would have the best chance of getting a high starting CL with no interest for at least one year.

She has a pretty thick file with two closed auto loans and 4 credit cards. She does have 2 unpaid charge offs that are at least 6 years old and will drop off in 2015.

In her purse:

Cap1: $125/$1500

Walmart: $0/$1200

AMEX PRG: $0

Discover: $0/$9500

The AMEX and Discover IT cards just turned 1 year old. The $9500 Discover CL was her starting CL. The Cap1 and Walmart cards are 3 years old.

EQ TU 08 score: 715

AAoA: Just over 3 years

I was thinking of the BoA Rewards, Chase Freedom or Citi Thank You.

Any thoughts?

That's practically my credit file right there with 30pts on top, + I have about 3x more cc's. Smiley Tongue

Freedom is definitely in line with that profile unless she burnt Chase in the past.

Message 3 of 10
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Yeah, I thought about another Cap1 card but would like to diversify her credit if I can. She gets prequalified offers from Chase and Citi all the time.

She usually PIF every month but it is nice to know that if something were to happen and we had to float a balance for a few months we wouldn't be paying interest. We think of it as insurance and we can invest more into stocks and not have to keep as much cash in the bank for an emergency. That's the reason we want to get her another card and to build her file/history.

She also has the AMEX PRG and she could app for a revolver but we want to try and keep her credit a bit diversified and only app for 1 card a year to be able to take advantage of the 0% APR offers.

EDIT: She uses all her cards once she has them and we plan on keeping all her cards open long term.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamie123 wrote:

Yeah, I thought about another Cap1 card but would like to diversify her credit if I can. She gets prequalified offers from Chase and Citi all the time.

She usually PIF every month but it is nice to know that if something were to happen and we had to float a balance for a few months we wouldn't be paying interest. We think of it as insurance and we can invest more into stocks and not have to keep as much cash in the bank for an emergency. That's the reason we want to get her another card and to build her file/history.

She also has the AMEX PRG and she could app for a revolver but we want to try and keep her credit a bit diversified and only app for 1 card a year to be able to take advantage of the 0% APR offers.

I'd freeze EX at the very least if you're gonna go for Cap1 anything. They sure do love to triple pull.

Message 5 of 10
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Agreed. Check the Chase pre qualify site. sorry, do not have the link

Message 6 of 10
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Just an update:

She apped for the Chase Freedom and received the 7 to 10 day message. I told her to call the next day and do a recon and if they approved her for less than $5000 that she should ask for at least a $5000 CL.

She called and as soon as they pulled up the app they informed her that she was approved with a CL of $4500.

I asked, "Did you ask them for a $5000 credit line?"

"No, I thought $4500 was close enough."

Well...You can lead a horse to water...

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol no Visa Signature for you.

Congrats to her.
Message 8 of 10
rlx01
Established Contributor

Amex EveryDay/EveryDay Preferred for highest CL and 15 months 0% APR.

3x CLI, etc.
Message 9 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Since she has history with Amex and they do internal scoring I would apply for an American Express HANDS DOWN.... Everyday, cash probably my top 2 choices and give you the 0%

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.