cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Credit Card for airline perks and questions about multiple card applications

tag
olivia3636
Established Member

Best Credit Card for airline perks and questions about multiple card applications

I am trying to figure out which credit cards will provide the most benefit for airline perks.  I currently travel almost exclusively with United, but I sometimes fly Delta internationally.  If it makes sense then I will apply for airline specific cards for both airlines, but would like some feedback.  Ideally if I am going to apply for the United branded card I would like the United MileagePlus Club Card. 

Below are my credit stats:

Credit Utilization: 35%

Experian: 786

Equifax: 786

Transunion: 787

Income: approx $160K

Inquiries: 0

Credit Cards / Limits:

NFCU: $25,000

Capital One Venture: $3,500

Capital One Quicksilver: $1,800

So my questions are:

(1) Is my credit utilization too high to apply for cards right now?

(2) Which cards would be best considering I fly United and want the perks of no baggage fees and club access, specifically with United?

(3) If I am going to apply for more than one card should I do it all at once or space them out?

(4) What type of credit limit do you think I will get when I apply for the cards?

Starting Score: 650 TU FICO (8/29/12), 642 EQ-FICO (8/29/12) 606 EX (8/29/12)
Current Score: 787 TU FICO (8/10/15), 786 EQ-FICO (8/10/15), 786 EX (8/10/15)
Goal Score: 800 across all scores

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Credit Card for airline perks and questions about multiple card applications

@olivia3636 wrote:

I am trying to figure out which credit cards will provide the most benefit for airline perks.  I currently travel almost exclusively with United, but I sometimes fly Delta internationally.  If it makes sense then I will apply for airline specific cards for both airlines, but would like some feedback.  Ideally if I am going to apply for the United branded card I would like the United MileagePlus Club Card. 

Credit Cards / Limits:

So my questions are:

(2) Which cards would be best considering I fly United and want the perks of no baggage fees and club access, specifically with United?

(3) If I am going to apply for more than one card should I do it all at once or space them out?

(4) What type of credit limit do you think I will get when I apply for the cards?

What is your AAOA? You have one card with a great limit, and not a whole lot more. How much do you fly? How do you spend your money? Can you be flexible with your dates that you fly?

1. get it below 20 or 10%

2. No clue

3. Doesnt really matter unless you are going for more than 2 or 3 cards.  If issuer combines pulls then do them the same day. Chase definitely I would do two because theres always a chance of a 2nd HP.

4. gamble, could be high or low, need more info

Delta cards arent always the best choice for frequent travelers, depends on many factors.

Message 2 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Best Credit Card for airline perks and questions about multiple card applications

@olivia3636 wrote:

Credit Cards / Limits:

So my questions are:

1) With your scores, it's probably not an issue with either Chase or AMEX. Both their co-branded cards, United and Delta, are relatively easy to get. The APR and beginning CL with Delta may be higher APR, lower CL, but those can both be fixed over time, and I only bring that up to not get hopes up too high. There should be no issue getting these cards, and perhaps no issue on reasonable CL to begin with.

2) If you fly United regularly, one of the Chase cards is good. The Explorer card currently has a 30,000 mile bonus for $1k spend, but I've got my second mailer this year for the Explorer, 50,000 miles after $3k spend. The Explorer card may be good to start with, because it has no AF the first year, no FTF, gets early boarding and a free checked bag, and two Club passes per year, so along with earning some miles it gets you off to a good start. The Club card may be worth considering, but I don't know if they run any miles for spend promotions. There don't seem to be any right now, just a cash back bonus. You can also consider the Chase Sapphire Preferred, which is a more general travel card, doesn't directly benefit you on United trips, but it has a 40,000 point bonus running, and those 40,000 points can be transferred to United.

The Delta cards from AMEX have good perks for direct Delta usage. I've got the Delta Gold card, and even though I'm no longer Silver status, it gets me the early boarding, free checked bag, and I can get in the Delta lounges for a reduced day fee if I choose. The Delta Silver AMEX comes with an annual companion ticket opportunity, and if you spend enough on that card you can get miles toward a higher Medallion status. The Delta Reserve AMEX has paid access to Delta lounges. The Delta Gold card has a 60,000 miles offer that some people have been finding, though the current public offer is 30,000 miles.

With both the Delta Gold card and the United Miles Explorer card, it's a good idea to shop and wait for those larger miles bonuses to appear. You only get one shot at the AMEX bonus, and the Chase United bonus you can only get if you wait 24 months after getting rid of the last version of the card that got the miles bonus.

Another option for Delta is to get the AMEX Platinum card. That earns MR points (and there are various bonus amounts available) and those MR points can transfer to Delta. The Platinum card also provides access to Delta lounges and others around the world. Not as many lounges as a few years ago, but a substantial number of airports.

3) The timing of apps for these cards depends on your spend flow. The larger bonuses generally require $3,000 of spend in 90 days, so if you do too many apps, you may find your self trying to spend nearly $10k in 90 days Smiley Surprised

Also, it's advisable to wait for the best miles offers to reappear, or a targeted offer to be sent to you.

Are you a member of United Mileage plan? I refreshed some old miles, and got a mailer for 50,000 miles earlier this year, that I didn't take. Then I used the Miles Dining option to post a few more miles to my United account, and got another mailer for 50,000 miles that I'm contemplating and expires August 31.

Same question for Delta, are you a SkyMiles member? They may send you or you might be able to get the 60,000 miles promo that is going around.

4) Credit limit is not easy to predict.

With Chase cards, generally the limit you get initially is your limit, although they make it easy to transfer CL between cards. So, the strategy to apply for CSP and then the United Explorer (or the other way around), and thinking about moving to the United Club card later, even if you start out with $5k limits, or less if you get the United Explorer first, you can start moving those limits to the new cards to Build Your Own CL. And as your history with Chase gets constructed, the next cards you get will have much better CL anyway.

With AMEX cards, they start some people out with $1k limits. I got a $2k limit on my Gold Delta card in 2013, because it was my first Centurion AMEX in a very long time, and my utilization was sky high and scores were 715. With AMEX, however, you can work the card with spend/pay cycles, and there is an automated on-line CLI tool, so after 61 days you can request up to 3x CLI, then again after another 6 months. I went from $2k to $3k (auto CLI because I was using the card so much, right up to $50 within the $2k limit), then $9k in November 2014, then bumped it up to $12k just in July, so you can pretty much manage to the limit you want on AMEX cards. The Platinum is a charge card, so the "limit" is based on your spend/pay history with them as far as what they will approve.

With AMEX, you can also request APR reductions. Chase seems less likely to give APR reductions, but both the Explorer and Club card have only one stated APR.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im kinda opposite, I fly delta exclusively and on occasion I would need to fly United, virgin, aa, air canada, etc

so when delta offered me a card at 50k, I waited for about a year but only got that high :/ -- bit the bullet and got over five figure limit. Not bad.

depending on how many times you fly delta a year I would just skip the card and go with United since you seem to really value the club lounge (which is about what you pay for the annual fee plus all the other perks and bonus miles)

i would guess your starting limit to be around 25k, maybe up to 30k

Message 4 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

Even a few trips with Delta can pay off with the first-bag-free, and early boarding. Works the same way with United, a few trips per year is all it takes to see the benefits from each $95 card.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.