Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Gas card other than NRA?

tag
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Best Gas card other than NRA?

I use BCP unless Disco or Freedom have it as quarterly. Only 3%, but no max limit, that's really pretty good.

Message 11 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

wrote:

My understanding is that the Penfed card is not a true 5% card.  Works out to 4.15%, due to the points value only being $.0083.  Costco is a great card for gas, if you already have a membership.  Only 4%, but their gas prices are great to begin with.  

Interesting.  Spent $70 last month and received $3.50 in credit.

Did you actually receive $3.50, or does it just show 350 points?

You DO get 5 points per dollar, the difference comes when it's time to redeem.  Each point has a value of only $0.0083, vs the typical $0.01.  

Message 12 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ducks Unlimited is NOT NRA though.  Not sure if that is what you were saying, just wanted to clarify.

Message 13 of 46
BigBS
Senior Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

My understanding is that the Penfed card is not a true 5% card.  Works out to 4.15%, due to the points value only being $.0083.  Costco is a great card for gas, if you already have a membership.  Only 4%, but their gas prices are great to begin with.  

Interesting.  Spent $70 last month and received $3.50 in credit.

Did you actually receive $3.50, or does it just show 350 points?

You DO get 5 points per dollar, the difference comes when it's time to redeem.  Each point has a value of only $0.0083, vs the typical $0.01.  

The 5% is redeemed as a statement credit and $3.50 is what posted.

# Transaction
Date
Posting
Date

Transaction Description

Amount

1/12/20181/12/2018PLATINUM CASH REWARD-3.50
2 1/9/20181/9/2018CR. CARD PAYMENT ALEXANDRIA VA
REFERENCE ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
3 1/4/20181/5/2018CHEVRON 0212947 HUNTSVILLE AL
4 12/24/201712/26/2017MARATHON PETRO170449 HARVEST AL
Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 14 of 46
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

wrote:

I use BCP unless Disco or Freedom have it as quarterly. Only 3%, but no max limit, that's really pretty good.

I would think a 5% cashback card for gas even at a $6k cap would be enough for almost anyone unless you're a road warrior because $500/month is a lot.

Message 15 of 46
wingennis
Valued Contributor

wrote:

Hey there,

I was hoping if someone could help me out. Is there another card that will give 5% cash back on gas besides the NRA Visa card?

If you are eligible for USAA membership, the cashback rewards Amex is 5% up to $3000/year.  I got it to fill up my motorhomeSmiley Surprised

Message 16 of 46
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

BoA Cash Rewards nets 5.25% cash back on gas for Platinum Honors members.

Discover IT has gas as one of their rotating 5% quarterly bonuses, including this quarter.  If you've had the card less than a year you'll get an additional 5% back on your 1st anniversary.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 17 of 46
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

I would think a 5% cashback card for gas even at a $6k cap would be enough for almost anyone unless you're a road warrior because $500/month is a lot.

People buy many things at gas stations besides gas. I got Chester's chicken and Godfather's Pizza for my family the other night and got 10% back from Disco Smiley Happy.

Message 18 of 46
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

People buy many things at gas stations besides gas. I got Chester's chicken and Godfather's Pizza for my family the other night and got 10% back from Disco Smiley Happy.

When my wife worked at a current job she was in charge of ordering the catering for groups of people. She was able to use her card and be reimbursed by the company. This one catering place shared the same building as a gas stations and was owned by the same family I believe. 

As it turned out the catering company was coded as gas and she used her AMEX BCP for the charge .the catering bill was over $4,000. That was a nice cash bvack month!

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 19 of 46
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

I might get the Penfed, I mean 4.15% isn't that bad, better than the Costco 4% and 3% from Bank of America cash rewards. The 5% makes a big difference from 4.15. We will see.
Message 20 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.