Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to induce CLI

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best way to induce CLI

I have 2 capital one cards that I just recieved in the mail. They have the starter limits (300 each).

I know that capital one does the CLI at six months if you are good to them and can prove your credit worthiness. 

With that being said, what is the best way to handle the usesage of the cards? I had planned to use until I got close to the limit (which could be with a single purchase of 2 weeks of groceries, the limit is so low), pay the card, and repeat and make sure that by statement cut I paid it down to 10%. SO, lets say, I do this every month for 6 months- charge 900 worth, by paying the card 3x a month. 

I thought that would be a way to show them my spending power, my ability to manage my finances, etc...

But then I got to thinking- maybe this will look like I need to use the card and have the opposite effects...

What do you think? Id really like to have each card sitting at 3k- I like the rewards and I like putting all my expenses for the month on the card and paying it off. SO, the sooner to a higher limit the better...

Eventually, Im going to do this with AMEX, but thats in a year or two....

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Best way to induce CLI

Cap1 has no rhyme or reason you could put 30 dollars on a month or do what you said and charge it to pull multiple times monthly and pay it off... I have seen people that have charged like 100 the whole 6 months in credit steps and get 3k CLI and then people that do what you mention and only get a 200 dollar increase.   They honestly like usage like most CC, but that won't make them give you a 3k CL.. It will be based off mainly you EQ score at the end of the process along with probably a soft of your tu and ex as well in there internal score model.  Anyways wish you luck as 300 limits suck with cap1, been there.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Capital One Journey was my first credit card in a LONG time and they started me off at $300 when they approved me earlier this year. I used the card for absolutely everything and made several payments each month. Each month reported with a balance, some months higher than others. My september statement reported with a $91.95 balance and the next month closed with a 0 balance. My October statement came and listed my CL at $3300. I never received anything telling me that this card was enrolled in the credit steps program like I did with my platinum card so this was definitely a shock to me. I don't think I got the increase due to the 0 balance, I think it had more to do with just how much I used the card and the number of payments that I made during the month. YMMV

I've since gotten their platinum card with a 2K limit and a notice that it was enrolled in Credit Steps and that I should receive a $500 CLI in 6 months........a bit of a let down after getting 3K on a $300 card. Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 8
bkelly906
Regular Contributor

I started with their Platinum card with a $300 limit and just used it for gas and a few other things a month.  I always paid down to about 10% before the statement cut so it reported and then paid the balance once it was reported to avoid any interest charges.  A couple of months later I got the Quicksilver One at $300 and started using this card for the 1.5% cashback and just put a $20 monthly charge on my Platinum.  After my sixth statemen cut I received a CLI to $3300.  I was very excited.  I'm coming up on my sixth statement for my Quicksilver One on Jan. 2nd and I'm hoping for the same increase.  I do still have a couple of baddies on my CR but my scores have increased a lot also.  I'm sure that is also taken into consideration.

Message 4 of 8
JcT21
Frequent Contributor

i got 2 cap1 cards.  plat & quicksilver.  my first was the plat card with a $300 limit, right after my ch13 in 09.   i then got a quicksilver card with 500 limit.   for about 3+yrs i used them to the max and paid off the plat card and let the qs card report around 3% - 10%  each month and let it vary like that.   i found by doing that, it increased my score faster.   i did not ask for a cli on either card, i let it happen automatic.    today my plat card has a 3,500 limit and my qs card has a 6,300 limit.    after receiving those cli's i didnt change anything in the way i charge and pay off.    i dont have anything bad except my bk, which falls off in about 16 months.   hopefully using the cards and paying off each month will work out.  good luck to you.  everyone seems to be different, i guess it depends on what your score is and what is on your report. 

due to christmas shopping my qs card is reporting 23%, my highest since my rebuilding process began.   my score stayed the same.  i was afraid it would drop a few.

fico scores - March 2024:
TU - 727 | EX - 732 | EQ - 736 |
TCL - 168K - UTIL - less than 1%
Message 5 of 8
taxi818
Super Contributor

Just is it. The more use. They will show luv. Too much over thinking on something simple. Pay. Rinse and repeat. Multiple times per month if necessary. Cap 1 will show luv. My qs1was upgraded to regular quicksilver. Went from 500-3500 in 6 months. Just from the usage like that. 

Message 6 of 8
ForumPheen
Regular Contributor

Cap One is an interesting one.  Some 4 days after getting dinged with the 30 day late on my card, they upped my limit from 2k to 5k. It had been 6 months since I'd had the card, and I had all kinds of usage on it; balance reporting, then at 0, then reporting.

Use as you please, I don't think your active or inactive status will matter to them.

Starting Score: EX 651/EQ 654/TU 668
Current Score: 735/721/732
Goal Score: 751 as lowest score by 8MAY15

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 8
waters
Regular Contributor

I would immediately contact EO and ask for a cli. Let them know the limit is small and hard to work with.. And while you are grateful for the credit card a higher limit could go a long way. Ask for 1000.
6/2014; EX:621 EQ:627 TU:640
Cards: Capital One WORLD MC (QS): $7500 | Chase Freedom $3500
Sock: Merrick Bank $600 | Barclaycard $1250 | Sportsman's guide visa $2500

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.