Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blacklisting

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Blacklisting

I had negative histoey with Barcays back in 2008 when I closed my Frontier card with them.  Above posters are correct they wont HP you if you're blacklisted which I myself seem to be, interesting data point though is that it is true, if your profile is squeaky clean they can overrule it as was the case with me when I applied for the Arrival + WEMC, I applied but immediately got declined, undeterred I called up recon till I was connected with a really nice lady who commended me on my profile and score and approved my application on the spot, the interesting part about my negative history with Barclays is that originally I was told closing it down I could reapply later and simply pay off the balance and the bank would see I had a good payment history, unfortunately it was incorrect and Barclays saw it as a bad thing.. Had I known about this I would have never accepted their payment plan and paid off the balance in it's entirety the way I did and proceeded to pay off the card the difficult way I did have to explain to the recon lady over the phone that I wasnt sure why I was declined so suddently when in fact I had paid off the previus card with them in full (which she did verify and see)  So in a word YES you can be approved after you been black listed and recon will approve if your profile warrants it, unsure on time frame but mine has to be nearing 10 years now from the original closure so im not sure if Barclays is going by when the card was paid off in full or the original closure of the frontier card.

Message 11 of 27
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for the reply.  For some reason, Frontier sounds very familiar to me.  I can't remember if that was one that I had or not.  I really need to find the paperwork or take a trip downtown.

Out of curiousity, if I were to call a creditor before applying, can they tell me if I was BLed or not?

BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Goal - To get in with Chase. Smiley Very Happy (ACHIEVED!)
Message 12 of 27
iheartwings
Valued Contributor

@dsotm76 wrote:

Thank you for the reply.  For some reason, Frontier sounds very familiar to me.  I can't remember if that was one that I had or not.  I really need to find the paperwork or take a trip downtown.

Out of curiousity, if I were to call a creditor before applying, can they tell me if I was BLed or not?

Probably not without actually applying. Some won't even acknowledge that a blacklist even exists.  

Message 13 of 27
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

That's what I figure

@iheartwings wrote:

@dsotm76 wrote:

Probably not without actually applying. Some won't even acknowledge that a blacklist even exists.  

That's what I figured but I had to ask just in case.  :-)

BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Goal - To get in with Chase. Smiley Very Happy (ACHIEVED!)
Message 14 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I had negative histoey with Barcays back in 2008 when I closed my Frontier card with them.  Above posters are correct they wont HP you if you're blacklisted which I myself seem to be, interesting data point though is that it is true, if your profile is squeaky clean they can overrule it as was the case with me when I applied for the Arrival + WEMC, I applied but immediately got declined, undeterred I called up recon till I was connected with a really nice lady who commended me on my profile and score and approved my application on the spot, the interesting part about my negative history with Barclays is that originally I was told closing it down I could reapply later and simply pay off the balance and the bank would see I had a good payment history, unfortunately it was incorrect and Barclays saw it as a bad thing.. Had I known about this I would have never accepted their payment plan and paid off the balance in it's entirety the way I did and proceeded to pay off the card the difficult way I did have to explain to the recon lady over the phone that I wasnt sure why I was declined so suddently when in fact I had paid off the previus card with them in full (which she did verify and see)  So in a word YES you can be approved after you been black listed and recon will approve if your profile warrants it, unsure on time frame but mine has to be nearing 10 years now from the original closure so im not sure if Barclays is going by when the card was paid off in full or the original closure of the frontier card.

Did they close your old Barclay's account because of late payments and then gave you a low payment plan?

I currently have a low payment plan with them due to some late payments two years ago.  I was just curious if they will ever let me reopen the account.

Message 15 of 27
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@dsotm76 wrote:

I want to take a moment and say THANK YOU for all the replies, even the humorous one.  I always enjoy a good laugh.  This is definitely good information to know.  I never had an AMEX before and just got approved with them as my first unsecured card so there wasn't a worry there.  I've seen some cards come across that Chase is a part of, but I don't want to chance the HP if it's pointless.  My profile apparently is pretty solid with no derogs and mid to upper mid 700s on my three FICOs.  (At least AMEX thought so with the SL I received.)

I'll have to see if I still have the papers from the bankruptcy.  I didn't think I'd need them after seven years so they may be long gone.  I'd hope there might be a record somewhere I could look at.

Forgive my newness here, but what do DP and IIB mean?

Hi @dsotm76, here's a link to a thread that lists common abbreviations used on myFICO:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/td-p/88458

To add a data point, I also included Amex in BK7 in 2000 and I now have three cards and an installment loan with them.  They definitely didn't forget - I can only get auto-CLIs (my own requests are always denied due to the IIBK account) - but otherwise the relationship seems to be solid.  I did wait a while to even try (2015) and I'm not sure exactly how much time was actually required, but I'm back. Smiley Happy

I can also vouch that if you're on Barclay's black list there's no HP (at least as of 2016)... you'll just get a letter. 

Message 16 of 27
Shawndoe79
Established Contributor

@JR_TX so you’re telling me that I can app away at Amex and it will not be a hard pull? I’m 3 years post BK7 and Amex wasn’t included. I’ve heard the BK7 will be auto denial until year 5 at least.
Current Scores EQ 689| EX 688| TU 679
Comenity 57.5k| Navy Fed 52.5k| Capital One 32.3k| Synchrony 23k| BBVA Compass 5.5k| First Commerce 4k| Barclays 1.9k|
GARDENING UNTIL APPING....
Message 17 of 27
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

@Shawndoe79 wrote:
@JR_TX so you’re telling me that I can app away at Amex and it will not be a hard pull? I’m 3 years post BK7 and Amex wasn’t included. I’ve heard the BK7 will be auto denial until year 5 at least.

If you didn’t burn (IIB) them then you’re NOT on their BL and will HP you if you app. From what the DPs here tells us, Amex is 5 years post “Filing” date before they let you in. You’re 3 years post DC date though so not sure what you’re file date was. 

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 18 of 27
Shawndoe79
Established Contributor

@JR_TX wrote:

@Shawndoe79 wrote:

If you didn’t burn (IIB) them then you’re NOT on their BL and will HP you if you app. From what the DPs here tells us, Amex is 5 years post “Filing” date before they let you in. You’re 3 years post DC date though so not sure what you’re file date was. 

Ok thanks for info, Filing date was 3 months prior, so that'll make me 3 years, 3 months post bk7

Current Scores EQ 689| EX 688| TU 679
Comenity 57.5k| Navy Fed 52.5k| Capital One 32.3k| Synchrony 23k| BBVA Compass 5.5k| First Commerce 4k| Barclays 1.9k|
GARDENING UNTIL APPING....
Message 19 of 27
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

I know for a fact that Capital One will BL you.  They did it to me when I had a (eventually paid) CO years ago.

I don't care, I have other cards that I like better!

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.