Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Credit Card Denied - LOL

tag
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

BofA Credit Card Denied - LOL

I may have mentioned it before, but I can't stand bofa.

I had my first bank account with them 20 years ago. I was 19.

I was using checkls and stopped at a BP to get a bottle of water. I paid the $1 with a check. For some reason, it bounced.

I knew I had at least $1 in my account and refused to deal with bofa, i was young and dumb.

anyways, that $1 bounced check turned into $700 and I refused to pay $700 for a bottle of water. So it went to collections where it sat illegally for over 10 years.

I didnt know anything about credit until a few months ago.

So they have always left a bad taste in my mouth.

I decided to apply for their bankamericard because i wanted to break up my BT's so they were all under 49% UTI.

I was counteroffered with a secured card. minimum $300 depoit for a $500 card LOL i about rolled out of my chair i was laughing so hard.

My scores are pushing 800, my EX is 753. Most people who get countereoffered here get the $99/$500. I still wouldnt have accepted that.

I find it incredibly odd that I have yet to recieve any prequalified cards for me on the net or by snail mail.

Someone said once they got to upper 600's the mailers started coming in. I have recieved a couple for a lender loan, but i dont count that.

All of my cards were cold apped, except my Merrick.

This is all so bizarre to me. Im beginning to think scores really dont matter. I have no baddies and about 10 out of 12 of my cards are reporting a $0 balance.

I just knew BOFA was gonna be shady towards me.

I know they are great to everyone else here, but like i said, they have put a bad taste in my mouth since 1997.

I will never apply for another BOFA card and i hit the, 'No, thanks' button as soon as that wonderful $300/$500 offer came up.

Seriously, this is worse than CreditOne!

SMH.

**And the Labels thing wont let me start typing Denied or BOFA or anything so had to pick one of the labels under choose a label.

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BofA Credit Card Denied - LOL

So you screwed them in the past and are now shocked that they are hesistant to accept you again? 

Think about it, you didn't want to pay a $1 fee then, why should they trust you with anymore than a $1 limit now?

Also scores in the grand scheme don't matter much, it's about what's in the file/folder that really matters.

Message 2 of 23
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

What about everyone here that has filed bankruptcy and had to default on several cards that they have since recieved again?

This was 20yrs ago and I was barely 19.

I didnt screw them. I'll send the $1 I owe them and say thanks but no thanks.

What a bizarre response.

Its like a kid gets suspended so they can longer go to any school the rest of their life.

@Anonymous wrote:

So you screwed them in the past and are now shocked that they are hesistant to accept you again? 

Think about it, you didn't want to pay a $1 fee then, why should they trust you with anymore than a $1 limit now?

Also scores in the grand scheme don't matter much, it's about what's in the file/folder that really matters.

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

True Fico Score does seem to be just one peice of many other factors considered in granting credit BofA took a chance on me in 2013 and here I am today never had credit before that of any kind also received the card without having to deposit any money my score at the time if I remember correctly was in the 700's not sure of the exact number. Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

yea bofa they really hold a grudge....my exhusband and i have been divorced 10 years now..we used to have a checking account together there when we were married..when the divorce was final i took my name off..some time later exhusband screwed them over..3 years ago (so 7 years after our divorce) i tried to open a checking account with them..and nope because my name had previously been associated with him— i was seriously floored like wth? 

Message 5 of 23
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Oh, that’s fine with me. I can’t stabd BOFA but couldn’t pass up trying for an 18 month no interest BT Card.

That’s why I was LOLing.

I have 2 HPs falling off EX before the end of this year so their lame HP and laughable $300/$500 offer when tons of people here get the $99/500 deal with like 600 scores.

Was worth a try and they spat in my face like I knew they would and my feelings towards them are even worse now.

Def can’t reccomend them for anything to anyone.
Message 6 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry this happened to you. They've been pretty decent to me. When I was 17 I opened my first account with a local bank to deposit the earnings from my job. That bank was bought by another bank, which was bought by BofA. I ended up screwing them on overdraft fees because I was in severe dire straits and ended up something like $350 overdrawn for maybe $50 in purchases because of their fees. I begged for them to forgive the overdraft fees, but they wouldn't, so I just never paid them.

A few years later, I got another account with them. I applied online and was surprised that they gave me an account. I did great with this account for several years, and then ended up homeless with kids and once again went into overdraft. I knew I couldn't pay it, so I opened a second account with them before they closed the first one and when they closed the first, they actually let me keep the second. I still have it many years later, and I've always paid any overdraft fees since then. I also got a mailer this spring for the 99/500 (when my scores were all low to mid 500s) which I accepted and have made all the payments on time.

In my case, they've been very forgiving. But at the same time, I'm always kind of looking over my shoulder with them. I'm also getting fed up with their fees. I've paid so much in monthly fees and such over the years that they've more than made back what they lost when I was younger and less financially stable.

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never understood paying banking fees. If you don't have direct deposit or 15k in a savings account, get the F out. CU are free, who cares if they don't have an atm on every other corner.
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wasn’t paying BofA any fees as long as my direct deposits were going into my checking account, but I moved them over to Navy Federal so I just got hit with a $12 monthly fee last month. I closed my savings account with BofA last week because they sent me a letter saying that moving at least $25 per month into my savings account would no longer be enough to avoid a monthly fee and I’m not paying a bank for a savings account. THEY should be paying ME.

The only reason I’ve even kept my checking account open with BofA given the monthly fee is because they gave me the 99/500 card when my credit was horrible and that motivated me to work on rebuilding when I had given up hope of ever having good credit. If they don’t graduate it by the 11th month, I will close the 99/500 to avoid the annual fee, and I will close my checking account with them and be done with BofA permanently. 

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm sorry this happened to you. They've been pretty decent to me. When I was 17 I opened my first account with a local bank to deposit the earnings from my job. That bank was bought by another bank, which was bought by BofA. I ended up screwing them on overdraft fees because I was in severe dire straits and ended up something like $350 overdrawn for maybe $50 in purchases because of their fees. I begged for them to forgive the overdraft fees, but they wouldn't, so I just never paid them.

A few years later, I got another account with them. I applied online and was surprised that they gave me an account. I did great with this account for several years, and then ended up homeless with kids and once again went into overdraft. I knew I couldn't pay it, so I opened a second account with them before they closed the first one and when they closed the first, they actually let me keep the second. I still have it many years later, and I've always paid any overdraft fees since then. I also got a mailer this spring for the 99/500 (when my scores were all low to mid 500s) which I accepted and have made all the payments on time.

In my case, they've been very forgiving. But at the same time, I'm always kind of looking over my shoulder with them. I'm also getting fed up with their fees. I've paid so much in monthly fees and such over the years that they've more than made back what they lost when I was younger and less financially stable.

JustTara, you've done a remarkable job rebuilding your scores. Congratulations 

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.