Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brother keeps getting declined

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Brother keeps getting declined

Long story short- my borhter has about 8 closed credit cards, only one in the last 3 years. He has an auto loan with perfect payments and a home loan on an investment property with perfect payments. AAoA is 2.5 years and his scores are right in the 680 range.

He was declined at the Citi branch for a card and was also declined for the Amex Everyday Cash card. I am not sure how I can help him or what card he can get?

Which bank/brand card do you think he can get? He needs something now to help build his credit back up because he now only has those two loans and no credit cards.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Blodreina
Established Contributor

Re: Brother keeps getting declined

Maybe Discover or Capital One; they might let him in the door.  But you're rght, it can be somewhat difficult to build credit without active credit cards.  It's kind of like trying to get a job without job experience (or no recent job experience).  Eventually, someone will approve; after maybe a year of current payment history on a credit card, it becomes easier to get other cards.  

Might be a good time to review his reports to make sure there isn't anything that might have caused the denials (e.g., collections, recent late payments, etc).

Message 2 of 11
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

There is always the secured route. Many local credit unions offer this method as well as Discover, Cap One, and Open Sky. Also Wells Fargo and BOA do this too I think. PNC even does it, but not online. You have to go into their local branch. Not something they advertise. Good luck to him. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Long story short- my borhter has about 8 closed credit cards, only one in the last 3 years. He has an auto loan with perfect payments and a home loan on an investment property with perfect payments. AAoA is 2.5 years and his scores are right in the 680 range.

He was declined at the Citi branch for a card and was also declined for the Amex Everyday Cash card. I am not sure how I can help him or what card he can get?

Which bank/brand card do you think he can get? He needs something now to help build his credit back up because he now only has those two loans and no credit cards.

Capital One Platinum or QuickSilver One are sure to approve him.  Or his pick of store cards.  

Message 4 of 11
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

+1 on checking Cap1 and Discover.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check on prequalified offers from Chase, CapitalOne, Discover, etc before applying.. or how about getting a secured credit card, etc.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi and Amex are at the higher end of credit cards. They like you to have experience and your brother doesn't currenlty have that. I also agree that he should look into Capital One and Discover, especially Capital One. Should be able to get the Platinum or even the QuickSilverOne. Also check with whoever he banks with, they might have a card that he is more likely to get approved for due to his relationship with them. 

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Which lenders does your brother have the closed cards with and are those cards reporting as COs on his reports?  Aside from store cards, I had to go the secured card route first before I got an  unsecured card approval.  Also, it helped that I paid off all my collections. How many INQs does he have and the scores you reported are they FICO or CK?

Message 8 of 11
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

I would have him join a Credit Union like PenFed, NFCU or USAA. He should then be able to get a CC. Discover and Barclays seem to like thin files. 

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Some good posts already.  To summarize everything:  What kind of closed accounts?  Are they "closed by borrower", charge offs, ??

Discover and Barclay like thin files, Discover may be the easier of the 2. If he wanted to go on a spree, I'd likely try the Barclay first(as they can be inquiry sensitive), though it might not matter if you were doing them on the same day.  

After that, Capital One, anytime.  Check their prequalification page.  If you want to be REALLY conservative and go for only ONE card now(which will open many doors later, even in 6 months or less), a Cap One online prequal(if available) would be my top pick.  If you want more, I'd go for the previous 2 first.  If your brother is really hungry, a 2nd Cap One 6 months after the first usually will still be low hanging fruit.  

Credit Unions and store cards are also worth consideration.  For store cards, Walmart, Amazon, and Lowes can give some nice SLs(sometimes after CLIs) with Synchrony.  A number of others can as well.   

I think once your brother breaks through, before long he will be able to have his pick of cards.  I've summarized much of the low hanging fruit here.  3-4 cards are said to be optimal by some, though he doesnt necessarily need that many right now.  I think in 6-12 months after a spree here, your brother may start to pick up prequalfications from more lenders, 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.