cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buypower Card from Capital One mailer help! Need advice!

tag
Platinum
Frequent Contributor

Re: Buypower Card from Capital One mailer help! Need advice!

@Anonymous wrote:

it's a goodlooking WEMC card, it pulls equifax only, however it gives very little credit line (I never applied even though they mail me from time to time). If your average credit score is 660+ ish, I would just apply for Venture/venture one or Quisksilver Visa... 

Well, not always. My initial CL on this same product last year was $15.000

Message 11 of 19
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Platinum wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

it's a goodlooking WEMC card, it pulls equifax only, however it gives very little credit line (I never applied even though they mail me from time to time). If your average credit score is 660+ ish, I would just apply for Venture/venture one or Quisksilver Visa... 

Well, not always. My initial CL on this same product last year was $15.000

Right, there are high SL approvals for this one.  All things considered though, an individual with a less than optimal profile will definitely not get approved for such a high SL.  Thus, anyone with a $300 or $600 CL will definitely not grow (not enough to maximize the benefits or rewads for this card). 

Message 12 of 19
IFtkkdx428
Regular Contributor

I looked deeply into this card last year. I become leery after days of research and ended up not getting Capital One's GM BuyPower. I did the best I could to educate and understand the details, terms, conditions, program rules, etc. There seems to be quite a bit of 'fine print' for the GM BuyPower which ultimately kept me from acquiring this. Before learning more about this card months ago, I imagined how this Capital One card would be at the top of the credit card pile. I envisioned I would spend the first $5,000 for the 5% which would total $250 in a year for cash bonus towards a new vehicle. I personally don't need a vehicle at this moment, nor am I sure when I will. Using math I figured I could rack up $1,000 easily over 4 years. That would be for the first 5% up to $5,000 alone, which would replace all category spending. This isn't including "non-category", which would equal $420 or less during the year.So, lets say that over the course of the 4 years I rack up $2,680.Great, that's a nice chunk of change.

So, I can use that $2,680 for any vehicle, right? Wrong, you can't because there are redemption limits. If you want a Chevy Malibu, you can only use $1,500. For a Chevy Sonic, you can only use $1,000. For a GNC Yukon, you can't redeem. The vehicle with the highest redemption limit? The Chevy Camaro Coupe with Z28 for $4,000. This might be fine if you buy a new vehicle every 2 years, but after that you are leaving money on the table. I believe most people expect to rack up $15,000 over 10 years and use that towards a vehicle. Here's what one upset card holder had to say,

"My husband and I have had a GM card for 10 years. We went last weekend to purchase a GMC truck and were told that we were only able to redeem $1,500 of our $2,700 worth of points. We contacted Capital One and got a ridiculous response saying that our card isn't the card that's advertised (convenient) on the website showing that there isn't a limit of how many points you can redeem towards a purchase of vehicle. My husband sent a follow up response to Capital One and never received a response. My husband and I both work for a Fortune 100 company that prides itself on customer service. We couldn't imagine not responding to a customer of over 10 years! We will be canceling our card this week and will make sure to tell all of our family and friends how poorly our situation was handled."

Once again, there are redemption limits. This card holder however, didn't read the 'fine print' int his case. If you are wondering what the redemption limits are for each vehicle? You can find them here, remember these limits do change from time to time (which they are subject to): https://www.gmcard.com/grid-data?region=northcentral#2014models

So, you racked up enough cash rewards on your BuyPower. You want to use that along with a special discount? That's too bad! You can't have your cake and eat it too! Don't you know, you can't combine GM BuyPower's cash rewards with other special discounts. It's in the 'fine print' once again. I saw where one card holder was offered a special discount from the dealer, but couldn't use the cash rewards. The person ultimately ended up using the discount from the dealer instead of the cash rewards because these discounts are often more than the redemption limits themselves.

After all, at the end of the day. You are limited to one car manufacture. I'm extremely loyal to many different consumer products/services. I'm loyal to Apple, Target, Colgate, Old Spice, Taco Bell, Cleveland Golf and many more brands. However, vehicles are one of the few products I'm loyal towards. I imagine because a vehicle pales in comparison as opposed to other products because of the amount of these products, the quality that changes what seems to often and how hard it is to change your loyalty. If I don't like Old Spice anymore, I can pitch it, go out to the drug store and find a different brand. You can't do this with a vehicle nor is deodorant $20,000+. For example, say you have a Capital One ReMax Reality BuyPower (I made this up and it does not exist). You are limiting yourself to the realtor, which I believe is the same and would not feel comfortable doing. Point is, I don't feel comfortable limiting choices when it comes to a vehicle.

To sum this up, there are just too many limits, rules, details, conditions, etc. to make me feel confident in acquiring and using the GM BuyPower card. I get a $520 return on cash back rewards from other cards in the portfolio during the year. The extra $1,000 a year in rewards is simply not worth it enough for me.

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I dropped this card today, just did not make financial sense for me to keep it.

Message 14 of 19
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

I received a 5k SL on this card last summer. I took advantage of the 0% to float some balances for 2 months.

The rewards are great, but if you are not going to definitely buy a GM product in the next few years it is useless.

I bought 2 Chryslers and I'm set for  a few years.  The rewards are completely useless now, so I cancelled the card

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems that they have updated the card a few times over the years and people with older cards do have limits on how much they can redeem. However the current card they are sending the mailer for is no limit on redemption. Obviously if you aren't going to purchase a Gm vehicle its not worth it. But if you are planning to get a GM vehicle this is the best card out there IMHO

To sum this up, there are just too many limits, rules, details, conditions, etc. to make me feel confident in acquiring and using the GM BuyPower card. I get a $520 return on cash back rewards from other cards in the portfolio during the year. The extra $1,000 a year in rewards is simply not worth it enough for me.

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved with 3k sl. I'm not sure if its easier to get this card over Quicksilver. The rewards are there for a vehicle. Sure my other cards have cashback and rewards but I don't have self control to save them. Most go as paydowns on same accounts as i use cards for as many monthly expenses as possible to rack em up.
Message 17 of 19
IFtkkdx428
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
It seems that they have updated the card a few times over the years and people with older cards do have limits on how much they can redeem. However the current card they are sending the mailer for is no limit on redemption. Obviously if you aren't going to purchase a Gm vehicle its not worth it. But if you are planning to get a GM vehicle this is the best card out there IMHO

I'm sorry, I don't understand your quote. You used part of what I said and another statement, that I couldn't even find via Google. On the GM BuyPower site it's clear as day,

"There is no limit to the amount of Earnings you can earn or redeem on a new vehicle. Your Earnings don't expire. And there is no annual fee."

But there are asterisks (*) by these statements that refer to the disclosures towards the bottom. These state, 

*BuyPower Card and GM Extended Family Card Earnings may not be used on the purchase of any vehicle sold as a fleet vehicle or with some private offers and discounted sale programs. The GM Employee Purchase Program cannot be combined with BuyPower Card Earnings. BuyPower Business Card Earnings may not be used on the purchase of certain vehicles, such as those sold or obtained at auction, or with some private offers and discounted sale programs. See your authorized GM Dealership for vehicle eligibility.

I found it before, but one has asterick (*) which includes, "...See Program Rules..." Yet, I can't see program rules on the site, nor are there program rules to be found searching via Google. It does show this, however, 

"If you are a current Cardmember, please log in to view the Program Rules applicable to your account."

So, I'm supposed to apply before seeing the program rules? You must be out of your mind. 

Also, the link in the previous post in regards to redemption limits was for 2014. Here's the one for 2015: https://www.gmcard.com/grid-data?region=northcentral

So, why do they show these redemption limits on the GM BuyPower site if there are no redemption limits?

There's just too 'fine print' and loopholes (loopholes that are not in your favor mind you). 

It's not that I don't trust or believe you, it's just that I don't trust or believe anyone. 

Find me one or two myFICO members who have been able to have success redeeming all of their cash rewards using the GM BuyPower while still getting a fair price from the dealer (dealers hate these BuyPower rewards and will raise the price if you tell them while negotiating), and I'll reconsider on getting the card. Until then, I'll sit here while collecting cash rewards from cards without gimmicks with my feet propped up.

Until then, someone, anyone who is a card holder, please provide me with the program rules.

Don't worry, I'll wait. GM BuyPower isn't going anywhere, it's been around for years. 

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I apologize. The green is my comment. I tried to quote you and answer on my smartphone which doesn't seem to work the best. The program rules is about 3 pages long so I won't paste it here but its your standard how earn, What purchases are eligible, rewards don't expire stuff. I'm new around here so I don't know anyone who axe has this card. However I also frequent a few Chevy forums often and have read of people with the older "GM" card that had limits of 1000-3000 depending on the vehicle and people with the new "BuyPower" card who had no problem redeeming 4000+ on a car that the old rewards system would only let them redeem 1000 on. I don't know if I can link to outside forums but a Google search of "GM card vs BuyPower card" leads to one such forum.

Again sent from my smartphone phone so I apologize for any errors.
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.