cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI rejection reason....What exactly does this mean?

tag
pauper66
Valued Member

CLI rejection reason....What exactly does this mean?

I had  Discover It secured card, and it unsecured this month. Just for curiosity sake, I hit the request for a CLI.

Got rejected, and got the letter today explaining why:

INSUFFICIENT EXPERIENCE WITH CURRENT DISCOVER CARD CREDIT LIMIT

.That is word for word, and the only reason given.

When I opened the card, I started wit $500, but then I learned about utilization, and I added more money to bump up to $2500 limit in the first 30 days. Since then I have never gone above 30% UTIL, paying down to let less than 15% report, and PIF every month.

Could it be I got rejected nbecause of low UTIL, and would I have had a better chance at getting a CLI if i was running closer to max?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
andyaycw
Frequent Contributor

Re: CLI rejection reason....What exactly does this mean?

It may have something to do with the fact that it was just recently unsecured. You may have better luck asking for a CLI after 6 months of on-time payments as they may want to see how you handle specifically an "unsecured" product. FWIW, I only somewhat regularly run just a few hundred dollars on my Discover card, and they kept giving me auto-CLI's from $15k to $22.5k, why is why I can't imagine having too low utilization to be hurting you.

Starting Score: EQ 773, TU 766
Current Score (2/25/2017): EX 813, EQ 823, TU 818
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I get that any time I request a CLI and they don't approve it. Just means you haven't had the current limit long enough, they haven't seen enough usage and payments, etc. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't sweat it.  I've got 31 or 32 denial letters with the same exact denial reason since March of this year (once a week every week).  If I can get a few more, I may use them to wallpaper my bathroom.

Message 4 of 6
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

@BBB

lol !

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 5 of 6
pauper66
Valued Member

I'm not too concerned about it. I've got more than my fair share of rejection letters. Just never seen that reaon before.  And I've got more than enough credit to suit my needs....so long as an asteroid doesn't land on myhouse in the near future.

Thanks for the answers.

And to end on a happy note, I hit the CLI request button on my Amazon card, and they bumped me up another $1000 to $2200. WAAAAYYYYYYY more than I need (and should be allowed to have) with Amazon. But at least it will keep utilization good...again...providing that asteroid keeps its distance.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.