Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP for Student

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSP for Student

So, I've been looking into getting another CC since I am moving to Chicago for next semester. I've been eyeing the CSP for some time but this would be the first time that it is feasible for me to get. Not sure if I would be approved with it but I do have a little bit of credit history with chase. I'm a 20 yo college student, but I'll be working full time in the winter.  Here my profile so far, do you think I'd have any issues going for the CSP?

Income: 40k

AAoA: 1yr 2 mo

Util: 12% (but I just paid my Chase to 0 from 19% so idk if they can see that, does chase still do 0-bal report?) I charge a decent amount but always PIF on all my cards

CK: EX 736, TU 734 

Freedom Unlimited - Jan 2017 $2500 SL, auto-CLI to 3.5k in April

BofA Cash Rewards - Jan 2017 $1200 SL

Old Navy Card - June 2016, $400SL, CLI to 6k in Feb

Federal Stafford Loans:

Sep 2015, $5500

Sep 2016, $6500

Sep 2017, $3750

Other than that, just looking to get the CSP because I can make the 50k bonus and I the 2x on dining and travel would be nice with my FU. Just don't know if my loans stand in the way.. they're payment deferred until Jan 2020 because I'm in school. Any advice is great, I've seen a few other college kids get the CSP. 

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CSP for Student

I just got burned by Chase so I may be a little biased but have you looked at the Uber? It seems like a really great contender on the same categories and I always figured CSP was better when you had a feeder card for UR's. 

Uber is 4% dining 3% hotel and air 2% for online and 1% all other. NO AF! seems pretty sweet if the CSP falls through. Also consider if you have history with chase prequaling or waiting for them to prequal you with a green check under "your offers". For most they seems pretty solid..

Message 2 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So, I've been looking into getting another CC since I am moving to Chicago for next semester. I've been eyeing the CSP for some time but this would be the first time that it is feasible for me to get. Not sure if I would be approved with it but I do have a little bit of credit history with chase. I'm a 20 yo college student, but I'll be working full time in the winter.  Here my profile so far, do you think I'd have any issues going for the CSP?

Income: 40k

AAoA: 1yr 2 mo

Util: 12% (but I just paid my Chase to 0 from 19% so idk if they can see that, does chase still do 0-bal report?) I charge a decent amount but always PIF on all my cards

CK: EX 736, TU 734 

Freedom Unlimited - Jan 2017 $2500 SL, auto-CLI to 3.5k in April

BofA Cash Rewards - Jan 2017 $1200 SL

Old Navy Card - June 2016, $400SL, CLI to 6k in Feb

Federal Stafford Loans:

Sep 2015, $5500

Sep 2016, $6500

Sep 2017, $3750

Other than that, just looking to get the CSP because I can make the 50k bonus and I the 2x on dining and travel would be nice with my FU. Just don't know if my loans stand in the way.. they're payment deferred until Jan 2020 because I'm in school. Any advice is great, I've seen a few other college kids get the CSP. 

My guess is that it's too soon for that particular card, but Chase's prequalifications are considered pretty solid, so you can check the site, see if you're prequalified, and if you are, I guess you could go for it.  But beware ... Chase often double pulls.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, they double pulled on my FU card. But definitely worth it so far. 

Message 4 of 15
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I think your stats clear all the hurdles assuming there are no negatives on your credit report. Have you checked to see if you got any offers for the CSP on your offers page on your online account?

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Likely approved for CSP. I'd do it. Income and everything else is fine.
Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally I would go for it. You're young so don't worry about a HP

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

No baddies or anything on my file either, but unfortunately not preapproved for anything Chase. It’s a shame because I’m preapproved for Amex Everyday, BC, and BCP but they’re not as alluring to me even with the extra bonus they’re offering. Really want to keep my UR points and transfer the 25k I have.
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'll be approved, go for it.

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bit the bullet and applied today.. they pulled my TU and gave me the 30 day message.. phone line says 30 days. Ugh. Same deal with my FU. Last time the lady said since I’m under 21 I’ll have to sign and return papers to Chase to verify myself, but 2 days later they just approved me without having to do anything. We will see...
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.