cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a bank pull my credit twice for one CC application?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can a bank pull my credit twice for one CC application?

Hello,

So I applied for a CC at citizens bank. They did a HP and my app was in pending status for 2 weeks before being denied. They wanted me to send them some documents which i sent a few days later. They sat on those documents for another week or so by which point it was the 31st 30th day since my app and they then did another HP and denied me.

My question is can they do 2 HP for one app?

Has this happened to anyone else?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can a bank pull my credit twice for one CC application?

I have read stories on here where applicants get 2nd HPed when they recon a denial, don't remember which issuer(s) but I'm sure it wasn't Citizens.
Message 2 of 12
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Yes it happens.. Sorry it has happened to you.  More likely if you asked to be reconsiderred as well from initial denial.  Some lenders do this, some don't

Message 3 of 12
kdm31091
Super Contributor

There is nothing that says they can't do it. It is annoying when it happens but it's within their permissions to do so.

Message 4 of 12
woodyman100
Valued Contributor

I’ve been HP’d 5 times for one app and 4 times for another a year later.

Both with Commerce bank. Decline both times.

NFCU got me for 5 or 6 times on one app. They HP’d me every time I submitted additional docs that were requested and called to inquire on status. Approved with an eventual tremendous relationship. Well worth it

NFCU-ICCU-EECU-PSECU-DoverFCU-DCUFCU-Union Square FCU-Signature FCU-AODFCU-RedstoneFCU-USAllianceFCU-Amarillo National Bank-BHG MC-CapitalOne-CapitalOne Biz-Regions-Goldman Sachs (Apple/GM)-Evolve-Fifth Third-Gemini-Huntington-Imprint-USBank-Pinnacle-Cardless-John Deere-Discover-BofA-BofA Biz-Celtic Bank (M1)-Chase-Chase Biz-Amex-Amex Biz-Wells Fargo-Commerce-FNBO-Citi-Citi Biz-Synchrony-Synchrony Biz-Target TD-Third Coast Bank-USAA-Amegy-Amegy Biz-Dell-Citizens Biz-Comenity-Comenity Biz-Bread (Comenity)-DSNB-Webbank-Bill
Message 5 of 12
RicHowe
Valued Contributor

AMEX HP a second time about 3 days after i was approved for the Platinum Card - checking to see if i was on an App Spree. Thankfully i knew better than to do that.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I was rebuilding, one of my first rebuilding cards was Capital One BuyPower.  They needed endless docs to prove my identity and address.  Took over 30 days.  Thus they HP'd me a second time before approving me for a $750 starting limit on what has turned out to be the most useless card I have.  I've warned others about this 30 day thing.  You definitely don't want your app to run over 30 days with most lenders.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Over the summer, I was instantly approved for an Arrival + card. Barclaycard hard pulled me upon initial application. I went to bed and woke up to another hard pull a mere 8-hours later.
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

When I was rebuilding, one of my first rebuilding cards was Capital One BuyPower.  They needed endless docs to prove my identity and address.  Took over 30 days.  Thus they HP'd me a second time before approving me for a $750 starting limit on what has turned out to be the most useless card I have.  I've warned others about this 30 day thing.  You definitely don't want your app to run over 30 days with most lenders.

I want to add that both HPs were Equifax.  It was not a "double pull due to credit review per se".  It was a clear re-pull due to running over 30 days.  Additionally, the 2nd pull was on the 35th day it appears.

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

woodyman100 wrote:

I’ve been HP’d 5 times for one app and 4 times for another a year later.

Both with Commerce bank. Decline both times.

NFCU got me for 5 or 6 times on one app. They HP’d me every time I submitted additional docs that were requested and called to inquire on status. Approved with an eventual tremendous relationship. Well worth it

Wow that's crazy and here I was thinking even two was excessive. What was the reason for so many and did they ultimately stay on the report or did you manage to get them removed?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.