cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can anyone please tell me what the bleep is going on?!?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can anyone please tell me what the bleep is going on?!?

Hi folks,

Okay, quick stats, then timeline.

FICO8 733-757 across 3B

Inquiries EX 7 TU 6 EQ 0 (sadface)

Income 80k

AAoA 10 months

No baddies

Currently 2/6, 5/12, 5/24, 6/forever

Amex BCE (3/17, $1.5k) Amex Plat (8/17)

CSP (9/17, auto-cli'd $7.5k) Chase MPE (1/18, $15k... card on its way)

Timeline

1/16 Sitting pretty at 4/24, decide to double dip last slot. Cold app'd MPE, pending (30 day). I see they HP'd EX and TU. Freaked out, cold app'd Marriott, pending (30 day). Called in later, auto-lady says 2 weeks for both. Thinking it's verification, called human recon. MPE approved for $15k (what??), Marriott denied (huh???). Called again later, trying to recon Marriott, offer to move existing credit line. More questions asked this time, sources of income, etc. 15 mins later, denied again, for recently seeking credit, and too many accounts open with Chase. I figured they could see the new MPE and I'm stuck at 5/24. Gave up.

1/17 Not yet! Angry I can't boost my Marriott points, I cold app for Amex SPG, feeling good since Plat was an easy approval, Amex is known to give SPG out like candy, and heck, it's only a SP, right? I thought I'd live recklessly in the land of post-5/24. Pending. What? 7-10 days. Called in. They need more time.

1/18 MPE looks good sitting at $15k in my app. Called Amex again. "Everything looks perfectly fine, you're a high value customer," but they need another 24-48 hours. What.

1/19 Called Amex again. Sorry, now the executive team is reviewing it, it should be fine, we'll even rush it when they're done. I don't know what's going on with Amex. They like me, they like me not... at least there's no HP from Amex. Grumpy.

1/20 Open Chase app. I see friggin' green checkmarks for Slate, F, and FU. Solid APR for all three. What? WHAT?

I'm freaking out, folks. What's my course of action here, with the SPG app dangling, and the still-painful Marriott denial? Is Chase for real right now, or are they just messin'? Has their IT crashed? I obviously want a Freedom, and I can definitely meet the sign-up bonus, and I will definitely benefit from the 5x categories. I'm just freaked because they only denied my Marriott app a couple of days ago, for seeking credit recently, and the SPG is still "In Progress." What if I app, get the Freedom somehow, but then Chase sees that I have betrayed their embrace with the SPG popping up days later? My MPE hasn't even arrived yet... Do I roll the dice of fate? Do I dare cross the cruel lady Chase? Do I punish Amex by cancelling my application, if for nothing but to display my scorn? What would Jesus/Buddha/Zuckerberg do?

To add, my CSP was barely approved with a pre-approval offer at max APR, and minimum $5k credit line. Then two months later, they auto-cli'd me to $7.5k. I thought I was in with Chase, and feeling high to hear the $15k line for my new MPE, then they turn around and break my Marriott heart. Now the sultry siren song of the fabled green checkmarks. Quo vadis?

Any help is appreciated. Gracias amigos.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can anyone please tell me what the bleep is going on?!?

I missed something from the timeline:

1/18 My phone's alarm rings to remind me it's been 183 days since my last Amex 3x CLI. Pissed off that the SPG is still pending, I ask for 3x on my $1.5k BCE. 7-10 days! What the heck!

Again, I don't know what's going on with Amex or Chase. Confusing times. Any guidance will be helpful.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Regarding Chase, it’s possible their lending team (I’m not sure of the name but there’s a team that looks at applications in a short period or applications that fit a churning profile similar to Amex’s) is taking a deeper look given your relatively young AAoA and recent CSP approval.

Even though your inquiries are relatively few, you still received a card in Sept and applied for two more shortly thereafter. This could potentially raise flags. I’ve seen similar timelines on different boards that resulted in AA.

Not trying to alarm you but are you still able to use your CSP?

I’ll revisit this after my flight.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. I’m terrified of AA as well, but I was told by many that my pace shouldn’t be of concern. I am in a bit of a regretful mood about the SPG, and wondering if I should cancel my application and take one of Chase’s green checkmark offers.

There’s nothing about my spend that should raise any alarms, as I don’t MS at all. And yes, I was able to use my CSP for dinner last night, some days after my last interaction woth Chase. I understand your point, though. I don’t want to poke the bear.
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, I don’t think your pace was too quick either. Fingers crossed for you.
Message 5 of 13
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Stop applying for credit!  You're way to eager, and you're scaring away the banks.  Use what you have for a year and then apply for one more.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

^^^^ This.  Chase's marketing and underwriting teams aren't on the same page which explains why you're seeing green check mark offers for Freedom cards.  Amex is obviously taking a close look since you've been making several credit applications in a relatively short period.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Waiting for the year mark after this is sage advice.

I’m not sure if I can link to another site but now that I’m stationary, Google American Express Rewards Abuse Team (RAT) and Chase “BRAT” team (not a real name).
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is room in the garden for you......just my humble opinion...good luck!!.....Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

All apps and no garden makes Jack a very dull boySmiley Wink Heres Johnny.....Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.