Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling cap1 secured??? App for QS

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cancelling cap1 secured??? App for QS

How long have you had it? What number did you call? I've read that's there's no backdoor #s.?.
Message 11 of 23
avp99
Frequent Contributor

Did you ever find out what this means?  The time I checked for preapprovals, I got the same message, but I am not sure what it means.  I am pretty sure that did not opt out of anything.

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't figured it out. I can only assume it has something to do with the 1/6 rule Cap has. If someone who is more familiar can chime in that would be fantastic. I know I haven't opted out. I did one SCT right after I got this card and to my knowledge if someone has opted out the SCT trick won't work. Plus I do get Pre qualify stuff in the mail. Nothing really good yet though😔🤞
Message 13 of 23
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

If you applied for any capital one card. Any Prequalified Offers will disappear for 6 months.

Now in my experience and as I said before. I cancelled my only capital one account after 3 months. The Prequalified Offers started appearing about 30-45 days after I cancelled the card. They aren’t going to show up immediately. They might not even show up for you until 6 months after you applied and were approved for a card since cap 1 does have the 1/6 rule.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 14 of 23
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
Can I cancel a cap1 secured that was opened in Nov2018 and app for a QS?

What are your scores? What does your profile look like? 

Cap One will allow a new account/card every 6 months. I’m not familiar with their secured lines but you might want to recheck to see what the graduation requirements are. I know their credit steps program have rules you have to follow to get a CLI. 

Additionally, don’t app unless you have a solid prequal. I’m thinking once you graduate, you’ll have a good chance at PC into QS. That would save you another triple HP by Cap One. 

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 15 of 23
avp99
Frequent Contributor

I just cancelled my Cap1 secured card that I have had for about 4 years.  I called this morning and asked if there was any chance of upgrading card from secured to unsecured, the answer was a definitive "no".  So, I went ahead and cancelled this card and will get all my security amount back.  Additionally, I upgraded my Cap1 QS1 to a QS with same APR and SL.  In each case, no more AF... AF's are no bueno Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 23
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Theres a bit of apples and oranges comparison.. it is relatively recent that cap one cards unsecured at all.... If your secured card is roughly 2 1/2 or more years old.. its unlikely to unsecure.... ever... they changed the rule sometime in the past few years.... but it only applies to newly (newer) secured Cap One Plats not the older ones... the older ones can and do get "stuck".....

-J

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have read that too. My account is from Nov 2017. It was one of my starter cards. Now its by far my lowest by 100-200%. My scores have come up substantially in a relatively short time because I was not really using credit. Now i have a couple prime cards and 3 good store cards I actually use with CL I am very satisfied with. So having this very low limit card does nothing for me accept help my AAoA. But not alot. I've also read that when they graduate they get stuck at the new limit too? Any insight on that would be great🤗
Message 18 of 23
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:
I have read that too. My account is from Nov 2017. It was one of my starter cards. Now its by far my lowest by 100-200%. My scores have come up substantially in a relatively short time because I was not really using credit. Now i have a couple prime cards and 3 good store cards I actually use with CL I am very satisfied with. So having this very low limit card does nothing for me accept help my AAoA. But not alot. I've also read that when they graduate they get stuck at the new limit too? Any insight on that would be great🤗

Yep...they do..... A lot of Cap Ones products esp that start with lower scores just get stuck ... They *want* you to fresh app and take 3 HP and completely get a new product.... some of that has to do with something called Asset Based Securities that are actually (backing) that card account... Youve moved on... closing it makes sense... but you coud SD it.... Regardless.. theres some new 1 card in 6 months thing with cap one and I cant tell you if closing and reapping will be sucessful.....

Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah the SD is where it went. And the triple HP is not worth it to me unless they are going to match or exceed my highest CL.
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.