Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 CLI denial AGAIN

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap 1 CLI denial AGAIN

I burned my bridges with cap one back in 2012 when I was just 18. Late 2015 they approved me for Plat Secured of $200 initial limit. 6 months later went up to $500 and in Sept 2016 they auto CLI me to $1,250. That card I had upgraded to Quicksilver about 4 moths ago. I haven’t had any lates to Cap 1 or my other 4 cards ranging from my credit union to chase to Amex. (Have 5 cards total) also have a car loan. Which has never been late in that either.

I balanced transferred other cards to my cap one which ended up being CLOSE to maxed. Made payments more than min, Then Transferred to my higher limit chase and continue to make all payments on all cards on time. My FICO scores range from 660-695.

UTL is about 30% total. Apparently the love button from cap one is a fail every time. It just gives a message that says to check in a few days to see what the decision says (most likely a no) Is it worth keeping? It’s only open right now as it’s my oldest card.
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
LCC_mk14
Regular Contributor

Re: Cap 1 CLI denial AGAIN

From what I’ve learned from others here and from my own experiences, Cap 1 can be hard to move with sometimes based on the type of card you have. Since yours started as secured, that’s likely the issue. My cap one started as a platinum with 2K starting, and only received 2 auto CLI to 5K and then 7.3K. It hasn’t moved since then, which was about 2 years ago. I think I’m capped as well.
Instead of closing it, you could app for another card and combine the limits. That would probably do more good if you like having cap one in your wallet.
Also, what are your reasons for denial that they give in the document?

Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can app and combine limits with cap one? Think getting another Quicksilver I’ll be approved? My card options aren’t real open with them. It’s either that or a regular plat.

I have gotten denial reason of. “Loan balances. And serious delinquency” only lates on my report were from when I was 18 and those were like 180+ days behind. But everything is cleaned up on my report now.
Message 3 of 18
sid33
Regular Contributor

Usually if you are in a subprime status when you get a cap1 card, it's hard to get the card to grow. Best bet, if your score has changed a lot, is to app for a new card. Then you can combine them. But, before you give up 3 HP's with cap1, you might want to see if there is a better card suited for your needs with another vendor. There are better cards out there.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that. I’ve simulated my score with dropping my UTL to about 5% and score is sim to 720s. Not sure how accurate it is. If down the road I do app another cap one card and combine them will it still be my “oldest” card or will it be completely new and that old card is no longer showing that’s the one I had the longest? I’m pretty happy with the other 4 cards I have. Just seeing what options I have to get a CLI from cap one.
Message 5 of 18
LCC_mk14
Regular Contributor

It will remain your oldest card if you combine the limits into that card and not the new card. 

It wouldn't change any of the account dates on that particular card. The new card deos have to be at least 6 months old before you can combine. 

If you're happy with your current cards its a good way to go IMO. 

You can check their pre-qual now and later just to see what pops up for you to try to get an idea. 720 scores later on would get you a decent line. 

Message 6 of 18
BNA111
Valued Member

What am I doing wrong... I literally just requested for a CLI on my CO Sec Platinum card and got denied. 

I got the notice saying that since it is a "secured card," the account is not eligbile for a credit limit increase because unsecured credit limit increases are not available for secured cards???? 

Has anyone else encountered this issue with CAP1 Sec CC? 

I have had the card for about a year now... and was just recently approved for the Cap1 QS Unsecured card yesterday.. not sure if that affects the CLI I requested for the secured card. 

Message 7 of 18
kshurika
Frequent Contributor

CO will never raise the credit limit on a secured card beyond the auto-CLIs they gave you. CO is very stodgy and old-school. They'll probably still be in business at the end of the world.
Message 8 of 18
BNA111
Valued Member

haha good to know !

I guess I just have to wait until I can get a CLI on my QS1.
Message 9 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Once the card goes unsecured you can transfer the limit to your QS1
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.