Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap 1 - multiple cards w/1 pull and other questions

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Cap 1 - multiple cards w/1 pull and other questions

I'm doing some reseach before apping. A discussion in one of the other threads mentioned that a person can apply for two Cap 1 cards, one right after the other, and it will usually only count as one triple pull. Anyone else experience this? I don't mind giving up an inquiry for a decent limit (really don't like the triple pull but it is what it is) but I'd hate to end up with two triples. 

I used their pre-qualifier and got this result - 13.24% for the Venture card, 12.24% for the Venture One and 13.24% for the QuickSilver. 

For those that have used the pre-qualifier and then applied, how accurate is it and is there generally a certain starting limit that goes along with the APR? 

Next up is which cards to go for. If I apply, it will be for the Venture - Earn unlimited 2X miles per dollar on every purchase. Plus, earn 40,000 bonus miles once you spend $3,000 on purchases within the first 3 months*.

I can run $3K through it in 3 months. That should give me enough points for one flight. 

If I can get two cards with one pull, what do I go for? Can I get another Venture?  I currently have a Venture One card along with a Quicksilver. 

My goals for doing this are high starting limits. Many have had good luck getting those with the Venture. I use my QS a lot more than my Venture One because I like the cash rewards. But this app would be about possible high starting credit limits. Rewards are an added benefit. I'd have to get out of the Venture before the first year is over so I don't have to pay the AF unless they will wave it. I'd like to combine cards if they ever get that fixed for me.

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap 1 - multiple cards w/1 pull and other questions

Poeple have reported getting two cards with one hardpull if done minutes apart but like everything in the credit world, it is YMMV thing.  People have two ventures but I don't think they applied back to back but with Caiptal One, you never know.

Your choice to go for the Venture is very good.  If you are looking to go for 2 cards, I'd do Venture and Venture One with the APR given on the pre-equal if I were in your shoes.  If both get approved, depending on APR on your current Venture One, I'd move the limit from the old one to the new lower APR card you know assuming it isn't your oldest account.

Just a food for thought..

Message 2 of 13
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I'd have two browsers open so I can hit submit seconds apart.  My current Venture One card has an APR of 15.15%. Both Cap 1s are my oldest active cards (Oct 2012). One started out as an Orchard card. The other has always been a Cap 1. I'd like to combine some of these limits in the future but that hasn't been working for me. 

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 3 of 13
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

When I did a double app, I applied for the venture first, then the QS immediately afterwards. I believe I had two browser tabs (not browsers) open, and the apps were submitted within minutes of each other. I apped under prequal for 17.99% APR and got that APR (but of course that went up with the prime increase) and an SL of $10k. Highest limit to date, first visa sig. No prior experience "with high credit lines." Note my income is only around $20k.

I was denied the QS, however. Letter said it was due to insufficient experience with high limits. Go figure. Lol. But they had a point. I'm thinking they gave me a high limit on the Venture and wanted to see how I handled it before giving me another high limit on the QS.

One more data point, prior to apping for these two, I already had a QS that started at $300, then grew to $800 then $1300. So I had about 6 months of history with cap1 before these two apps.

Finally, I took one triple pull plus one extra pull on TU for these two apps. So 4 pulls total; 1 each on EX and EQ, and 2 on TU.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 13
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I submitted my apps last night and was approved (Venture - $15K and $10K for QS). Credit Sesame sent me alerts for mulitple inquiries. Two from Cap 1 and one from the Lowes card that I applied for after them. Those were on TU.  CS used to pull from EX. Don't know if they changed that or the others aren't reporting yet.  So it looks like I might end up with a total of 6 pulls for the two new accounts. I rather have just had one for each but I think it will be worth it in the end. 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 5 of 13
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I just reviewed my EQ and TU reports. There is just one inquiry from Cap1 on each of them. I'm happy with this! 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 6 of 13
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

I prequal'd for the plat and app'd for that first, then after reading here I app'd for the QS1 about 4 hours later, but on a different calender day.  I ended up with two triple pulls from them.  But I got approved for both and it's a start.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 7 of 13
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I just took a look at my EX report. That also only has one inquiry from Cap 1 so it worked. Try to do them one right after the other. It might work for others too. 

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 8 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

As long as they are done on same day they are coming out with just 1 set of inq's!

Congrats on your apps... consolidate after 6 months!

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems as though Capital One does indeed pull twice, even if you do it back to back, hence the double alert after you applied.
The good news though, is that it appears as though the CRA's automatically delete the second one shortly after, believing it must be an error. So while it is a YMMV thing, it appears as though your luck on this situation is not with Cap One, but with the CRA's computers!
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.