Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One - Plat Prestige?

tag
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

Cap One - Plat Prestige?

There's clearly something in the water around here with Cap One. My question is - has anyone gotten a nice starting CL with the Platinum Prestige? (the one with 0% APR through March 2016 and no AF).

I'm asking because, if I were to add a card now, the main reason would be to BT a balance of about 3K from a card that currently has 15.5%. I think it will take me about 3 months to pay that down, and I also need to get some dental work done over the next few months - so having a 0% card to carry a balance would be great. I'd love to get the Slate, but currently don't have any pre-approvals at Chase, and as of now still have an unpaid C/O for about 19K showing (auto repo from 2008 - but it shows as 2010. You can find another thread of mine if you want the whole story there ;-/

Right now I've got pre-approvals for the Venture (16.9%) Quicksilver (17.9%) and Platinum Prestige (14.9%). From what others have shared, I'm thinking I could possibly get 5 or even 10K on the Venture, but there's no 0% promo period and I don't want to pay the AF - and I'd really rather hold out for the Arrival+ for a travel card. Anyone have any experience to suggest that I might get a similarly good limit on the Plat Prestige? Or does the love only seem to come with the Venture? I think it would only be a win for my purposes if I got at least 5K, preferably more.

Thanks as always!

Starting score 3/30/13: 570s across the board
As of 2/17/18: EX 802 | EQ 809 | TU 811

CSR 34K | Freedom 21K | Marriott 24K | Alaska 21K | Citi Dividend 5.9K | Barclay Rewards MC 15K | DCU Visa 10K | AX SPG 24K | AX PRG NPSL | AX Green NPSL | AX EDP 10K | Cap One Venture 20K | SFCU Visa 15K | Barclay Arrival+ 24K (AU) | BankAmericard 13.5K (AU)

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
2014repair
New Contributor

Re: Cap One - Plat Prestige?

I have been wondering the same thing.  I have the 3 same cards as you for my pre-approvals.  I already have a QS with a 7k limit and dont have a real need for the venture.  Would like to take advantage of the 0% offer on the prestige but not sure what the starting limits are like on that card.

/i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o572/2014repair/Best-Buy-Credit-Card_zps7jz6jb0m.png">
Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get the venture and PC
Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think venture also has 0 apr period. Does it even have rewards?
Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I think venture also has 0 apr period. Does it even have rewards?

No 0% period.

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I stand corrected. Thanks for clarifying, Nixon
Message 6 of 22
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

Capital One Gravy Train

I must have pre-qual'd myself like 5 or 6 times over the course of the day today, followed by back-and-forth over here on MF. Mulled over the alphabet soup of CLs vs lots of INQs, BTs, AFs, AAoA, etc. Finally decided to pull the trigger for two cards, and I'm glad I did.

• 10K on the Venture
  • 5K on the Platinum Prestige

Stats: CCs & limits below in signature. 40% util. 1 unpaid CO for 19K still showing dated 2010, as well as 1 paid CO from 2010 and 1 student loan with 5 120-day lates showing from 2009. AAoA 5.5 years (until this, that is ;-) 1 open student loan in good standing, 1 open auto loan in good standing, 1 closed auto in good standing, 1 closed stu loan in good standing. 

That literally doubles my overall available credit, and gives me a 0% card to BT a 3K balance that was at 15%, as well as giving me a good card to use for this year's dental work. Also nice to have my first-ever five-figure limit :-)

Not sure if I'll keep the Venture after the AF hits, but I have a year to feel it out.

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions this afternoon, and good luck to anyone else who decides to ride this wave!

CSR 34K | Freedom 21K | Marriott 24K | Alaska 21K | Citi Dividend 5.9K | Barclay Rewards MC 15K | DCU Visa 10K | AX SPG 24K | AX PRG NPSL | AX Green NPSL | AX EDP 10K | Cap One Venture 20K | SFCU Visa 15K | Barclay Arrival+ 24K (AU) | BankAmericard 13.5K (AU)

Message 7 of 22
Jamex
Frequent Contributor

Thanks again for all the help. I went for it, and am pretty happy with how it turned out.

10K on the Venture

5K on the Platinum Prestige

I'm debating whether I should call once I get the cards and ask if they'd combine the limits on the Plat Prestige. Not sure if that'd work, but maybe worth a shot? And even if not, it gives me room to BT the 3K that's currently at 15%, and between the both of them it has doubled my overall available credit. Not sure whether I'll want to pay for the Venture, but I have a year to figure that out.

Thanks again, and happy Friday!

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Gravy Train

@Jamex wrote:

I must have pre-qual'd myself like 5 or 6 times over the course of the day today, followed by back-and-forth over here on MF. Mulled over the alphabet soup of CLs vs lots of INQs, BTs, AFs, AAoA, etc. Finally decided to pull the trigger for two cards, and I'm glad I did.

• 10K on the Venture
  • 5K on the Platinum Prestige

Stats: CCs & limits below in signature. 40% util. 1 unpaid CO for 19K still showing dated 2010, as well as 1 paid CO from 2010 and 1 student loan with 5 120-day lates showing from 2009. AAoA 5.5 years (until this, that is ;-) 1 open student loan in good standing, 1 open auto loan in good standing, 1 closed auto in good standing, 1 closed stu loan in good standing. 

That literally doubles my overall available credit, and gives me a 0% card to BT a 3K balance that was at 15%, as well as giving me a good card to use for this year's dental work. Also nice to have my first-ever five-figure limit :-)

Not sure if I'll keep the Venture after the AF hits, but I have a year to feel it out.

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions this afternoon, and good luck to anyone else who decides to ride this wave!

Congratulations!

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Gravy Train

Outstanding!!

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.